Iodine

amarula

Awards
Anyone uses iodine supps to boost thyroid function? Do they work?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
cant comment if they work, but i've read that iodine deficiency's can cause hypothyroidism. i have hypothyroidism but currently on Synthroid and feeling better. prob needed a bit of a higher dose.

i just consciously add more iodized salt to my food

amarula

Awards
cant comment if they work, but i've read that iodine deficiency's can cause hypothyroidism. i have hypothyroidism but currently on Synthroid and feeling better. prob needed a bit of a higher dose.

Can't find easily iodized salt in my country, also I have to be carefull about salt consumption

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Iodine only really works if you have a deficiency.

If you live in a developed country, you most likely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so your hypothyroidism isn't linked to an iodine deficiency. In fact, iodine might even be making it worse for you.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Iodine only really works if you have a deficiency.

If you live in a developed country, you most likely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so your hypothyroidism isn't linked to an iodine deficiency. In fact, iodine might even be making it worse for you.
i live in the US. interesting though, i never read of Iodine making it worse. I'm not very educated on the thyroid though, and my endo basically said "your thyroid sucks" and prescribed me synthroid startingat 25mcg and now we're at 50mcg. feeling slightly better, but i think i'll need to go to 75-100mcg

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Greetings, first post. Iodine supplementation definitely worked for me. I was feeling run down and needed naps, even though I got a solid 8 hrs sleep. I saw a post about basal body temps and thyroid on another forum by a guy that sounded like he knew his stuff. My waking temps were in the 95's! and if I could make high 96's by 2PM, I was lucky. After some more research, I decided to get some IO Plus from Amazon, cut the pills in 1/4's (~3mg each) and take 3mg per day for 8 months. Some dose at 25 - 50mg per day for 2-4 weeks, but I wanted to mimic the intake in areas like Japan, for safety. The thyroid can hold about 1500mg's of iodine - 1 bottle is 750mg, and I think that is enough. I'm almost finished with the bottle, and my waking temps yesterday were 97.3 and I hit 98.6 easily. I'm going to drop to 3mg a month now as maintenance. My only other source of iodine is salt and multivitamin - I don't eat fish or seaweed/kelp with any regularity.

You can up the dose to speed it up if you want, up to you. On YouTube there is a doc? that warns of Hashimoito's with iodine supplementation, but he was the only warning I found - med research indicates 1mg is safe all day long, with 3mg being the highest approved in some countries. See -examine.com- "Iodine"

1.4. Excessive Intake Rates and Predictors

For adults, the tolerable upper limit for iodine intake has been recommended to be 1,100μg (Institute of Medicine; IOM) whereas the world health organization (WHO) has a lower TUL of 500μg,[28] although has recommended an upper intake level of 3,000μg.[55]

And -

Supplementation of high doses of iodine in otherwise healthy people does not appear to result in much, since it is readily excreted and normalized. There may be a very small and (clinically) irrelevant antiinflammatory effect and a small reduction in thyroid hormones (rather than an increase), but that seems to be it. Obscenely high doses for a prolonged period of time, which occurs with consumption of unprocessed seaweed (mostly kombu) will result in benign goiter in all persons and thyrotoxicity in some persons with underlying thyroid issues.
You may feel crappy still, in the beginning - bromine gets taken up when iodine is low, and getting rid of it can make you feel bad. Lots of bromine sources in the everyday environment.

Anyway, it worked for me - I feel great now, and haven't wanted a nap lately, LOL. Do your own research, I'm just an old guy on the internet, good luck!

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i live in the US. interesting though, i never read of Iodine making it worse. I'm not very educated on the thyroid though, and my endo basically said "your thyroid sucks" and prescribed me synthroid startingat 25mcg and now we're at 50mcg. feeling slightly better, but i think i'll need to go to 75-100mcg
How often do you get your TSH tested?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
right now monthly. going for bloods on Tuesday for my third visit which will be 1/21

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If you are iodine deficient, iodine will improve thyroid function. If you are not deficient (mostly the entire western world), iodine will cause hypothyroidism.

In short, unless you're iodine deficient, supplementing iodine will worsen thyroid function (and it is clinically used for this purpose as a conservative treatment of hyperthyroidism)

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
If you are iodine deficient, iodine will improve thyroid function. If you are not deficient (mostly the entire western world), iodine will cause hypothyroidism.

In short, unless you're iodine deficient, supplementing iodine will worsen thyroid function (and it is clinically used for this purpose as a conservative treatment of hyperthyroidism)
Interesting good to know. Good thing I never bought it lol I was close multiple times