Interesting food combinations... what are some of yours?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
THis came to mind for me due to the meal I just ate. I made a big pot of turkey chili the other day and added a bunch of green beans to it to increase my greens intake a bit. Tasted pretty good so I brought it up to work and finished half of it yesterday and went in today and there was not enough for me to get the protein I needed...

So I decided to eat a cup of lowfat cottage cheese as well. It occurred to me that cottage cheese was good in lasagna with the marinara sauce, and that I had put some in spaghetti before and it tasted good, kind of like lasagna... So I added it into my turkey chili.

I have to admit is was really good, and got my protein requirements in really well too.

I have a few more combos similar to this that I find enjoyable that are odd but wanted to hear what some of your concoctions are as well. Maybe we can get more variety in our menus by seeing some interesting combos here...

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isn't lasagna ricotta cheese, not cottage?

Sounds interesting either way.

I do a Greek yogurt chicken stroganoff, if that counts.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Isn't lasagna ricotta cheese, not cottage?

Sounds interesting either way.

I do a Greek yogurt chicken stroganoff, if that counts.
Depends on the recipe, some have both. Hard to tell the difference once it melts in. Sure that counts.

Another strange combination that sounds horrible but is good is peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. Not exactly diet food but... it tasted surprisingly good. My mother ate it when she was pregnant with my little sister and i tried it and loved it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think anyone into fitness is seen as liking weird food combinations. One of my favorite that gets odd looks is sweet potatoes with cinnamon and peanut butter.

When i go out to eat, I will always ask for cinnamon if I get sweet potatoes.

Take it one step further. Take a hot baked sweet potato and in the middle, add a twix, reeses peanut butter cup, etc, and let it melt.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think anyone into fitness is seen as liking weird food combinations. One of my favorite that gets odd looks is sweet potatoes with cinnamon and peanut butter.

Take it one step further. Take a hot baked sweet potato and in the middle, add a twix, reeses peanut butter cup, etc, and let it melt.
Oh wow on that last part. Would need to be a free meal for me. LOL

I definitely have done the PB, Cinnamon and Sweet Potato, a great combo for sure.

I also like peanut butter mixed in my oats with cinnamon.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My cheap breakfast - cooked oats mixed with scrambled eggs

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take some hard boiled eggs, slice them with one of those egg slicers, turn it 90 degrees, then slice it again (to make little squares of diced eggs), and add them to a bowl of rice. Add hot sauce. Super cheap, you can make a lot at once, etc.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting, do you sweeten it, or leave as is? I know sweetening sounds odd until you think about french toast...

Actually sometimes for a bit of a difference I will scramble my eggs with a little splenda and cinnamon. It is actually good.

Take some hard boiled eggs, slice them with one of those egg slicers, turn it 90 degrees, then slice it again (to make little squares of diced eggs), and add them to a bowl of rice. Add hot sauce. Super cheap, you can make a lot at once, etc.
Not a bad idea at all. I imagine you could also do this with scrambled or over easy eggs too if you wanted and it would be just as good.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting, do you sweeten it, or leave as is? I know sweetening sounds odd until you think about french toast...

Actually sometimes for a bit of a difference I will scramble my eggs with a little splenda and cinnamon. It is actually good.

Not a bad idea at all. I imagine you could also do this with scrambled or over easy eggs too if you wanted and it would be just as good.
Yeah, it should work just as well. It’s just easier for me with hard boiled eggs, since I can make enough for multiple meals at one time. I try of have a bunch of rice, ground turkey or beef, chicken breast, and hard boiled eggs, and I can just mix any of them with rice for a meal without cooking anything.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Avocado tuna salad is good too, using a mushed up avocado or some guacamole instead of mayo. YOu just want to eat it the first day so it doesn't get brown and yucky. Add in some lemon or lime juice also to help to keep it from oxidizing so fast.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Definitely some salt and pepper then maybe some cheese if I need some extra calories , never tried to sweeten it

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Bruh! I crush sweet potatoes and cinnamon but the peanut butter idea sounds bomb!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you added eggs (pre cooked) or egg whites (pre cooked to oatmeal? Combine everything in a bowl, use the liquid from the eggs as the water or milk. It sounds odd, but it makes the oatmeal so thick and creamy. I prefer my oats that way versus watery.

This sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a go.

JAS51

JAS51

Awards
  • Established

Going to try this today.

Avocado tuna salad is good too, using a mushed up avocado or some guacamole instead of mayo. YOu just want to eat it the first day so it doesn't get brown and yucky. Add in some lemon or lime juice also to help to keep it from oxidizing so fast.
This sounds good.

The peanut butter idea sounds bomb!
I agree.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have you added eggs (pre cooked) or egg whites (pre cooked to oatmeal? Combine everything in a bowl, use the liquid from the eggs as the water or milk. It sounds odd, but it makes the oatmeal so thick and creamy. I prefer my oats that way versus watery.

This sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a go.
Are you talking about putting the eggs in it overnight and letting it sit to get soft, or actually cooking it as normal but with egg in it?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not prepared eggs and oatmeal that way. Right now, I prefer cooking my oats with water then adding the scrambled eggs. This makes for a lot of volume which fills me up nicely. I have also combined uncooked beaten eggs and raw oats then cooked in microwave. I did not prefer this consistency.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you talking about putting the eggs in it overnight and letting it sit to get soft, or actually cooking it as normal but with egg in it?
Cooking it normal with eggs. Put eggs in the bowl with the oatmeal, and put it in the microwave.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good shout - I have both in the house - gonna eat this right now

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cooking it normal with eggs. Put eggs in the bowl with the oatmeal, and put it in the microwave.
Wow, I figured that would turn it into one big congealed puck of oats. You say it gives it a creamy consistency?
Good shout - I have both in the house - gonna eat this right now
Whisky How did you like it?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow, I figured that would turn it into one big congealed puck of oats. You say it gives it a creamy consistency?

Whisky How did you like it?
Was spot on brother, squeezed a lime in there with a good dose of pepper and spread thickly over some homemade rye bread (i bake lol) to bump up my carbs - perfect. Will be a staple for sure

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Popcorn and pickles.
Yogurt and pork rinds.
Apple cinnamon oatmeal and chicken.
Ice cream and chips.

??

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Popcorn and pickles.
Yogurt and pork rinds.
Apple cinnamon oatmeal and chicken.
Ice cream and chips.

����
Those are definitely interesting. Apple cinnamon oats and chicken huh? How is that one prepared?