Insulin spike from Dextrose, Waxy Maize, Malodextrin etc.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quick question, how long does the insulin spike last when taking carb supplements like Karbolyn, Dark Matter, Carbotein etc? I know spiking insulin is good for absorbing nutrients but also bad for fat gain how long would this last after drinking these carb based supplements?

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quick question, how long does the insulin spike last when taking carb supplements like Karbolyn, Dark Matter, Carbotein etc? I know spiking insulin is good for absorbing nutrients but also bad for fat gain how long would this last after drinking these carb based supplements?
You should buy a glucometer and test your blood sugar before you consume the carbs and every hour after consuming the carbs until your blood returns to baseline levels. This is not real scientific but will get you in the ballpark.

The only way to determine the insulin spike and duration is by having an insulin survey done. Some doctors call this a Kraft test named after Dr. Joseph Kraft.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, I had one performed on me a few years after my diagnosis. Pretty cool stuff.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's gonna be different for everyone, like the other guy said, get a monitor and take notes. Check fasted, immediately post consumption, then every 30min or so. It's gonna be annoying but if you do that you will know the exact answers

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's gonna be different for everyone, like the other guy said, get a monitor and take notes. Check fasted, immediately post consumption, then every 30min or so. It's gonna be annoying but if you do that you will know the exact answers
Well, not only different for each individual, but also different depending on the source and amount of carbs. Some supplements can also affect it. It’ll vary with a lot of factors.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well, not only different for each individual, but also different depending on the source and amount of carbs. Some supplements can also affect it. It’ll vary with a lot of factors.
And those are all the reasons why I said it's different for everyone. Even more importantly then all those factors is going to be the person's current state of insulin sensitivity.

But that's why I said it's different for everyone, it's a blanket statement that covers everything

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't handle the crash after using these carb supplements my sugar drops down to 30-40,than I feel like crap !!

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't handle the crash after using these carb supplements my sugar drops down to 30-40,than I feel like crap !!
When I have a low event, people don't understand how bad I feel after. It feels like I got hit by a bus!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When I have a low event, people don't understand how bad I feel after. It feels like I got hit by a bus!
I know the feeling :mad:

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The duration of an insulin spike can vary depending on several factors, including the specific supplement and individual metabolism. Generally, insulin levels rise after consuming carbohydrates and gradually decline as the body absorbs and utilizes the nutrients. In the case of carb-based supplements like Karbolyn, Dark Matter, or Carbotein, the insulin spike typically lasts for a period of around 1 to 2 hours.

While an insulin spike is beneficial for nutrient absorption, it's important to note that sustained or excessive insulin spikes may contribute to fat gain over time.

Last edited: