Unanswered Inspired my Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook; Can You Critique My Program?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking of Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. Because his program is so strict, and has no carbs, and that would make me have no energy to workout or performance in the gym, I will do a modified program:

1. Workout Four Times a Week:

Heavy Free Weights with Burnouts and Supersets; + Range of Motion Flexibility.
At the end of each workout, I will do some intense cardio such as Bodyweight Finishers, Shuttle Runs, or 20 Minutes of HIIT (Like in Body for Life).

2. Again, because I need carbs to have energy, perform in the gym, and recover well:

a. Pre-Workout:

25 Grams Whey Protein Isolate
25 Grams Dextrose

b. Post Workout:

50 Grams Whey Protein Isolate
100 Grams Carbs (Maybe Dextrose, Maybe Baked Potatoes or White Rice)

3. The rest of the day, I will eat protein and vegetables.

Now, I would like to tell you that I would eat only food I cooked; but that may be impossible.

Surely, restaurants put so much oil, starch powder, etc. even in ordering eggs and tomatoes.

But, in the big picture, I do not think it will make too much of a difference.

4. In the past, I have tried diets that had "no carbs after 4 pm" etc. I just felt fatigued. Then again, I used to take caffeine, which I now know causes a lot of anxiety, fatigue and spiking insulin.

Also, my muscles looked so weak and deflated.

However, this time, the four days I workout will have good pre-workouts to give some carbs and protein.

After I workout, ample carbs should provide some satisfaction.

5. Any critiques someone can give me?

I am curious which four day splits would work well. There definitely is information overload that I am still trying to work through.

Thanks!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You should not be lifting weights while running the rapid fat loss diet. No use doing an extreme diet but not following it. You should definitely not be doing the type of strenuous exercise you are listing above while on a diet that low in calories. Adding carbs in at that low will remove the muscle sparing safety net that is keto... so if you plan on having carbs then you need to bump up your calories a good bit or you will go catabolic quickly while also fighting fluctuating blood sugar levels.

If you want to experience this you need to follow the premises, this method you are suggesting while running sub 1000 calories is just a recipe for muscle catabolism, blood sugar issues, and what not. You have to understand how these things interact and what happens in the body during keto that saves muscle tissue and how introducing carbs restarts that safety net over creating a negative cycle if eating very low calories. You have to understand the biology and science of it before you can just try to adjust it.

My suggestion, follow the diet as written, deal with the first few days of lethargy until you become fat adapted, then energy levels will return. Stay true to the plan and only take walks the 10-14 days you are on it. Your body will thank you, you are not going to lose muscle mass in 10 days.

Otherwise i would suggest you do Carb Back Loading which is basically similar to what you have here but nowhere near the deficit.

Not trying to talk down to you or anything just trying to give honest help, this particular adjustment to the program is just not sound because it removes the muscles safety net.

As far as feeling weak, or your muscles being flat, that is temporary for the aesthetic goal and the muscle tissue is not going anywhere just the fluid and glycogen filling it. So don't let that get into your head. Once you return to eating carbs you will fill back out within a day or two and look much better.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Keto or any type of low carb diet never worked well with me.

In truth, the lowest I could go without fatigue is probably 1500 calories.

Using this plan that I outlined, and cooking my own food, it will probably be this way. Let us just see what happens.

No use doing a diet if you have no energy.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keto or any type of low carb diet never worked well with me.

In truth, the lowest I could go without fatigue is probably 1500 calories.

Using this plan that I outlined, and cooking my own food, it will probably be this way. Let us just see what happens.

No use doing a diet if you have no energy.
Tell that to every body builder or physique competitor that has ever competed... you won't find any that do not go through fatigue.

I also think that if the bolded is your mentality then you should not be doing this diet or any other extreme dieting. Just stick with the basics if being comfortable while cutting is important to you. I mean no slight by saying that, just if you aren't willing to be uncomfortable for your goals then you shouldn't be trying diets that are extreme.

Also admittedly you will lose weight with your plan no doubt. It is a steep deficit. However, not sure how you plan to not get tired on a diet that recommends around 900 cals a day when you can't go under 1500 without fatigue and not be willing to experience fatigue... The way you adjusted the diet sabotages the diet by removing the muscle sparing effect of ketosis. You will lose muscle mass without the keto safety net, and you will keep your hormones in a state of flux and just isn't the best way to go about it.

Either way, I would like to see you run through this and see how it goes. Are you logging this experiment of yours? If so please link it up in here.