Inguinal Hernia...

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i guess i was born defective but i had a hernia in 8th grade and now another one (im 20). literally happened last week. i go see the surgeon to talk on the 11th and then have to schedule when i get it fixed... which will mean 2 months of no lower body or anything over 10 pounds after that. he said i can do chin ups but not dips because of the forward lean. anyone have a inguinal hernia that knows anything excercises i *can* do? this is gona be like 3 months of nothing. i worked my way up to 196 and i was just now making my best gains ever... guess i progressed faster than my body wanted me to. im not sure if machine bench press with light weights would be ok? i just wana keep some of my upper body, mainly arms/lats/chest close to where they are now. i should have asked him more. like leg extensions/curl? idk whats ok and whats not

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bummer man, I'm sorry. I've had problems with my hips and torn an oblique, and I've actually had two surgeries on my groin region. The good thing is, they aren't too invasive, and heal pretty quick.

As for movements, man I didn't want anything to do with a barbell for the first month post-op, but after that, it was really hard to stay down.

When I did start lifting, I found I could do most seated press movements, and some pulls, but stuck to machines and anything that would reduce activity my abs/core.

Doing anything that caused a fair amount of ab recruitment hurt a lot. I know hip problems aren't hernias, so your experience may be different, but the incision and healing will still be in the same general region.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
ya, i know they said two months after to be reallllll careful. and waiting to see the surgeon ive had zero pain today except for a few minutes of ball throbbing post workout today. i just stuck to chins/dips/leg extensions/leg curl/ pec dec and cycled that around. i feel like its healing itself a bit, even tho they said the odds were real low of that happening. i feel like after surgery tho im gona have to be more careful than i am now, which sucks. i cant deal with losing anything since i dont have much to begin with

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Go lower carb post-op, and eat maintenance calories. Shouldn't lose too much, and muscle memory will help once you start lifting again. Maybe focus on strengthening your core once it heals so this hopefully won't happen again?

LowSodium

LowSodium

Awards
I suffered my 2nd hernia April of last year. I couldn't work out for 4 months. I would suggest following the recommended healing time. I have a bud that re-ripped his abdominal area because of impatience. When you begin again, start slow, concentrate on form and like posted above, work your core.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I am going in Feb 21 to Shuldice for a groin hernia. Others have told me I can play soccer after 1 month. Shuldice is worl famous for old school hernia repairs. They do 30 per day and that's all thet do. people from all over the world fly in to have it done there. Supposedly Calvin Klein & Stallone were recently under the knife there. Hopefully it's not just marketing hype, I'll soon find out. My doc said I can continue doing whatever I want, running, lifting etc. He said it's mostly genetic and not really from lifting.