inflamed shoulder

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
so after working shoulders yesterday my shoulder felt fine nothing popped or hurt, but then on the way to work about 6 hours later it started to ache (like a dull ache similar to a headache, but in my shoulder haha) now its quite swollen and sore the pain kind of stems from the front delt and near the rotator cuff, but the thing is my movement is not limited with it nor does it cause any extra pain, i have full range of motion.... i am seeing a physio tomoz though, any one got any pointers for shoulder health

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
so after working shoulders yesterday my shoulder felt fine nothing popped or hurt, but then on the way to work about 6 hours later it started to ache (like a dull ache similar to a headache, but in my shoulder haha) now its quite swollen and sore the pain kind of stems from the front delt and near the rotator cuff, but the thing is my movement is not limited with it nor does it cause any extra pain, i have full range of motion.... i am seeing a physio tomoz though, any one got any pointers for shoulder health
Just be ultra careful with shoulders. I've been a bodybuilder for almost 15 years with torn labrums in both shoulders, and it's been years of pain every day, and throughout the night. Once your sh-t is torn, you either work around it and try to build more muscle to support it, or get surgery. It won't repair itself naturally. Luckily I've been able to build huge shoulders which help support the injuries, but I can still only lift half the weight I used to when working shoulders. Take some time off until you know you're back 100%, you DO NOT want a shoulder injury, it will even f-ck with your bicep shape and strength eventually.

Fizzeek

Fizzeek

Awards
The swelling is definitely not a good sign. You could have any number of injuries, including but not limited to a ligament tear. I tore mine clean off my scapula and didn't even know it; I thought it would be more painful.

Your therapist may have already provided you with some info. But avoid "ballistic" type movements under heavy tension; keep your rep techniques to a steady cadence.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just be ultra careful with shoulders. I've been a bodybuilder for almost 15 years with torn labrums in both shoulders, and it's been years of pain every day, and throughout the night. Once your sh-t is torn, you either work around it and try to build more muscle to support it, or get surgery. It won't repair itself naturally. Luckily I've been able to build huge shoulders which help support the injuries, but I can still only lift half the weight I used to when working shoulders. Take some time off until you know you're back 100%, you DO NOT want a shoulder injury, it will even f-ck with your bicep shape and strength eventually.
If you're dealing with pain everyday and can't lift very heavy, why have you chosen not to get the surgery?

I had surgery on my left shoulder for a SLAP tear and bicep tendon tear. Recovery's been great. I now have two small tears in my right shoulder but am working around it for now as it's not causing pain and no tearing in the bicep tendon...but I know I eventually will likely need to go under the knife again just for piece of mind.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
If you're dealing with pain everyday and can't lift very heavy, why have you chosen not to get the surgery?

I had surgery on my left shoulder for a SLAP tear and bicep tendon tear. Recovery's been great. I now have two small tears in my right shoulder but am working around it for now as it's not causing pain and no tearing in the bicep tendon...but I know I eventually will likely need to go under the knife again just for piece of mind.
I can lift heavy, just not shoulder specific routines (front and side raises, over the head presses). Losing my physique/not fully recovering are the two major reasons I haven't had surgery. I've learned to live with the pain. I'll probably only get surgery if it completely tears and I can't move my arm/arms. I've heard too many horror stories about bodybuilders going in for shoulder surgery, and they're worse off than before. How long is it taking you to recover?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm 1.5 years post op on my left shoulder, and it's doing great. I'm also larger now than I was pre-op too.... I would say 6 months post op and I was doing pretty well. I had a SLAP repair and bicep tenodesis. My bicep tendon was torn by 50%. Muscle came back very quickly. Strength didn't. I didn't push it though, and I've switched my routine from 5/3/1 (periodization method) to just volume training for now.

But now I have these problems in my right shoulder. I'm trying to work around it because like you, I don't want to lose my physique at all and the pain is manageable. I'm only feeling pain from the bursitis, not the new SLAP tears, even though I have two of them in this shoulder now. They are minor I'm told. Part of me wants to get the surgery though, just for piece of mind, so I can go balls out and train how I want to again. I also loved doing OH press.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I should mention though, that if you have the cash for 4 PT sessions a week, and ART therapy post op, your recovery time will be much faster. I only went twice a week and did some pt work from home, and didn't get ART done. Adhesions were a huge problem post op, for months.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I had surgery for a labrum tear in 09'. I put it off for awhile but after a few dislocations, it was time to get it fixed. Took a few months of pain and rehab post op but it's better than new now.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
That's pretty awesome to hear, did you guys go to well known sport surgeons, or local surgeons? Did you have any bicep deformities after the surgery, or major change in range of motion? Luckily I don't play sports anymore, so ROM isn't a huge deal for me.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I lost a little bit of range of motion but nothing major. I went to a local orthopedic surgeon.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like Godfather said, lost a bit of my range of motion, nothing horrible. I had the NYC Triathlon's official sports Dr do my surgery. Bicep seems ok. Normally they anchor the bicep tendon into the bone, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but my Dr drilled right through my arm bone and anchored the tendon on the other side with about 4 pins. He said this will never rip out. I told him I powerlift and want to keep it up, so this is why he did that. It may be a new procedure now though? Not sure.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had surgery for a labrum tear in 09'. I put it off for awhile but after a few dislocations, it was time to get it fixed. Took a few months of pain and rehab post op but it's better than new now.

How bad was your labrum tear? I'm thinking of putting mine off for my 2nd arm. My bicep tendon is intact and I get no pain in my front delt area or deep in the side delt. I actually went for an MRI to check out my AC joint which is causing problems, and the SLAP tear(s) were a total surprise to the Dr and I.

My AC joint has mild arthritis and bursitis...it's being a bitch. Hope a few peptides will help.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
How bad was your labrum tear? I'm thinking of putting mine off for my 2nd arm. My bicep tendon is intact and I get no pain in my front delt area or deep in the side delt. I actually went for an MRI to check out my AC joint which is causing problems, and the SLAP tear(s) were a total surprise to the Dr and I.

My AC joint has mild arthritis and bursitis...it's being a bitch. Hope a few peptides will help.
It wasn't terribly bad but bad enough that it needed to be reattached for stability purposes. My surgeon used three anchors that look like those white drywall anchors and kevlar sutures to pleat everything together.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
It wasn't terribly bad but bad enough that it needed to be reattached for stability purposes. My surgeon used three anchors that look like those white drywall anchors and kevlar sutures to pleat everything together.
That sounds badass, who was your surgeon?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's what mine used as well. Looks pretty badass in an xray haha

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Yeah that's what mine used as well. Looks pretty badass in an xray haha
I'll talk with a few surgeons and see if I can get the super strong anchors and sutures as well. Wouldn't mind a little Adamantium too hehe