I need a supplement to help me cope right now

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Ok so my mom just died and I would like to take something to help. Feeling just to sad and out of it, from grief. I like the ashwaganda but I feel after a few days, it makes me too tired. I'm having a hard time talking to my fiends and family. Also does ashwaganda lower cortisol or just balance it or whatever? Within a month I've had 2 pets die and now my mother died, so I'm just in need of something. Not gonna do anti depressants.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok so my mom just died and I would like to take something to help. Feeling just to sad and out of it, from grief. I like the ashwaganda but I feel after a few days, it makes me too tired. I'm having a hard time talking to my fiends and family. Also does ashwaganda lower cortisol or just balance it or whatever? Within a month I've had 2 pets die and now my mother died, so I'm just in need of something. Not gonna do anti depressants.
Sorry to hear about all of this....In all honesty there is nothing except true prescription pharmaceuticals. if you ca find any shred of motivation, the gym is the best 'drug" as it will promote endorphins and take your mind off of things for a time period.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I haven't tried phenibut. Can you tell me about it? What does it do? I've tried many nootropics. Some I have tried make me tired after a few days or right away. Is there a nootropic that doesn't make you tired other than tyrosine?

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
iSorry for your loss man.

f you want to boost your serotonin levels naturally, i would suggest either Tryptophan or 5 HTP.
Both of these will raise your serotonin levels to help you have a more positive outlook.

Serotonin is one of your endorphins that controls your mood. Drugs like prozac are Serotonin ReUptake Inhibitors.
So boosting your serotonin levels will definitely help your mood over time.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Where do you get tryptophan? I haven't been able to find it.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Pet supply place for tryptophan, maybe some Xanax or phenibut short term

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I ordered the pills before I got the link. I forgot I was trying to find the tryptophan a long time ago. When you take the supplment, when do you take this? On empty stomach or with food also? I usually have a common problem of finding something that helps but makes me lethargic feeling. I don't want to feel like I have no emotion. I've noticed that before, and I have stopped many things trying to help my mood by making me feel nothing. I just want to cope better.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For tryptophan Empty stomach is best . Either 1st thing in morning or pre bed.

tstak

Awards
45 minutes of cardio daily and a 10 hour of drive somewhere seem to work better than any supplement for me.

Super Cortisol Support by Now
Boring but has KSM 66 and Relora in it

I would be hesistant to take supplement recomendations from anyone who's hasnt experienced severe depression.

My Blessings:
Mom passed away of cancer
Divorce
Neglected Child
... too much to list.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Pretty messed up. My mother got hit by a car. and died. The thought of that is just too much for me. I found the tryptophan at sprouts. I go there for my dairy free chocolate and dairy free cheese. I'm always interested in things for mood. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes there isn't.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
My condolences man. I personally prefer rhodalia over ashwaganda for stress and it shouldnt make you tired it should be a bit energizing. I also really like theanine, it helps keep you calm and might help you with the depression.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
So sorry for your loss man, tryptophan would definitely be my recommendation as well

josun

Awards
  • Established
Im currently dealing with a tragic family situation to right now. I definitely need something. Also trying to stop drinking to

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for you too. I like the ksm 66 but I think it lowers cortisol too much. I feel you with the drinking. I feel like drinking too. Does anyone take ashwaganda and feel it lowers cortisol too much. I take stimulants, so I don't want to not feel them. I dropped something else I was taking and I might try it again.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Look into Kratom. It gives me a good slight buzz/euphoric feeling. There's multiple different strains that can do several different things.. Relaxation, mood lift, energy, all kinds of stuff. You can message me if you're more interested and I can point you in the right direction to read on it. It's legal and you can order it online.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Just a suggestion, try and honor by remembering all great memories you 2 had together, immerse yourself in the grind of life and exercise, try and focus on yourself and life.

Not easy, but block all the bad **** out and work on yourself.

This is coming from someone who had to put 2 dogs to sleep end of last year and lost his mother on Mother's Day.

Supplements / pills won't work, life will still be there when you come down.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry to hear brother... in all honesty give supps a rest for the time being. Eat well, stay hydrated, exercise, and aim for good sleep.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I tried kratom once. I still have it but I remember not liking it. Does the tryptophan make you sluggish when you first start taking it? Really constipated from it too.

IronLegion

IronLegion

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
omg, so sorry for your loss!

Prayers for you and your family!

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am so sorry for your loss and condolences, my brother. We are all here for you.

sareea

Awards
Sorry to hear !!
I am shocked for how strong you are to cope with something like that.
Just bear in mind that every one in a lifetimes has to cope with this, accept it so it will become easier on you... Look forward to life and what you got left.

Regarding supplements: My opinion is that your refrain from any medication, look for physical relief just as others said here (gym etc...) , the adaptation that brain takes to these feelings is crucial for you to cope in later life, and drugs tend to block this adaptation, Specially refrain from anti depressants like benzodiazipenes (BZD) and others ... I am not sure pharmacologically but specially in the beginning of a detriment ...
If you cope naturally you will be stronger later on, and the drugs will just hinder this strengthening procedure.

Feel free to talk ! we are here

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
In a month time I lost 2 pets. Then my mom died. I know grieving takes time but this is too much. I don't like feeling this withdrawn from everyone.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm sorry to hear about this. Some of these suggestions might be beneficial to some extent, but the pain you feel can only be eased with time, facing it head on, and coping with the real issues at hand. I am very sorry for your loss brother. Keep your head up, stay sharp and don't let up.

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
Sorry to hear about your loss. I agree with what was mentioned: exercise (especially with focus) is going to regulate hormon and stress levels just as effectively if not better than meds. Especially Acute Stress style training (i.e., HIIT, heavy lifts for short duration, etc.). Chronic stress training (steady state long timed exercise) will only give you elevated cortisol and stress response. Be well. Hang in there.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been holding back in replying to this because I don't really know what to say. About 18 months ago I list a friend who I've known since I was 4 years old and who always had my back. He was truly a brother to me and taught me so much about who I want to be in life. And then he took his own life out of the blue and no one saw it coming and he couldn't have had any idea of the emptiness he left behind.

At the same time I had another close friend who turned into a frenemy and was constantly fighting with me and the stress was unbelievable.

Nothing I did to self medicate made it any better, at least not for more than a day at a time. Maybe 2 days. Just constant feelings of loss, anxiety, emptiness, anger. I would wake up in the middle of the night and just start thinking if these things.

Ashwagandha, Niacin, Phenibut. ALCAR, Agmatine, etc all help just a little...and at the time I thought it was good and I would eventually find something that worked. I never did and I am actually a little upset with myself for being so weak and avoiding the unavoidable for so long. I just needed to let it in and then let it go.

Your mom doesn't want you to be down or sad. And if you feel her that much, then she isn't really gone. There is so much life in front of you - life that she prepared you for. Probably her greatest joy in life was knowing she gave you a life.

Spend a month or whatever time you need to cope with this. Take the pain standing up. Then get back at it. Don't waste any of the time she gave you. Live the life she taught you to live. If you live out her teachings, she becomes immortal in a way.

And talk to people. If you can't find anyone, shoot me a PM. I will listen. But I bet you I'll find a way to talk to a friend if you try and when you are ready.

Just keep going.

904KBS

Awards
Mucuna pruriens may help. It's also cheap and can be bought in bulk.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would honestly have to recommend against taking anything mind / emotion altering to get through this time. At least any mood altering drug or "supplement". Giving yourself a crutch to lean on when you have the ability to stand on your own is going to weaken you not make you stronger. Things that seem to take the edge off the world for you are not really doing so. They are taking away your edge. You can make it through this time, but don't turn to drugs or a supplement. Your emotions have to be dealt with and worked through. Dealing with them only becomes harder the longer you put off going through the emotions.

You are not clinically or medically depressed, you are mourning. You are sad and feeling the pain of loss. That is not the same thing as clinical depression triggered by a chemical imbalance. That is the mourning process and things you not only should feel but need to in order to heal completely.

The best way to get away from sorrow is activity and happiness. Watch comedies, go have fun, see friends even when you don't feel like it. Allow yourself to smile and don't force guilt on yourself for having a good time. You Mother would want you to keep on smiling and having a joyful life. So do it for her if you can't for yourself.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would honestly have to recommend against taking anything mind / emotion altering to get through this time. At least any mood altering drug or "supplement". Giving yourself a crutch to lean on when you have the ability to stand on your own is going to weaken you not make you stronger. Things that seem to take the edge off the world for you are not really doing so. They are taking away your edge. You can make it through this time, but don't turn to drugs or a supplement. Your emotions have to be dealt with and worked through. Dealing with them only becomes harder the longer you put off going through the emotions.

You are not clinically or medically depressed, you are mourning. You are sad and feeling the pain of loss. That is not the same thing as clinical depression triggered by a chemical imbalance. That is the mourning process and things you not only should feel but need to in order to heal completely.

The best way to get away from sorrow is activity and happiness. Watch comedies, go have fun, see friends even when you don't feel like it. Allow yourself to smile and don't force guilt on yourself for having a good time. You Mother would want you to keep on smiling and having a joyful life. So do it for her if you can't for yourself.
This is the best response you could receive in your situation 51FTY . Good luck, you have a great community here if you need someone to talk to.

ironwiz

ironwiz

Awards
  • Established
My condolences! hope you're alright!

Things will get better with time i promise you this!

in regards to supp you should give 5-htp a try. if that doesn't work try st john wort.

Also keep on hitting the gym! It will help! Put on your earphones and just kill the weights.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I agree with either nothing at all or St John's Wort, with sleep aids you run the risk of putting yourself down so hard you have really vivid nightmares that are hard to wake from and that's the last thing you need.

Truly sorry for your loss.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I am going to the gym. I have zero motivation after this. I tried st johns wort and mucana prureins also. I cant remember how I took the mucana prureins.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Just a suggestion, try and honor by remembering all great memories you 2 had together, immerse yourself in the grind of life and exercise, try and focus on yourself and life.

Not easy, but block all the bad **** out and work on yourself.

This is coming from someone who had to put 2 dogs to sleep end of last year and lost his mother on Mother's Day.

Supplements / pills won't work, life will still be there when you come down.
Sorry to hear brother... in all honesty give supps a rest for the time being. Eat well, stay hydrated, exercise, and aim for good sleep.
I'm sorry to hear about this. Some of these suggestions might be beneficial to some extent, but the pain you feel can only be eased with time, facing it head on, and coping with the real issues at hand. I am very sorry for your loss brother. Keep your head up, stay sharp and don't let up.

sorry for you loss and I am not preaching. there are some supps that will help, but honestly its a band aid and once you pull it off, its going to hurt, and hurt a lot more than realize. If you don't face this now and drown yourself with whatever you decide to take, you will never face this.

Im not saying you cant be sad or upset, but for starters, start remembering the good times and the smile she put on your face. Live in those moments as I am sure she would rather you remember her for her greatness, not sitting around oblivious.

You have a road right now that splits; one will lead to a better tomorrow and memories of a lifetime, the other will take you longer to reach the end and along the way, I can promise you, it wont be a fun ride.

read what they wrote and really think about what you are going to do

Wish you nothing but the best

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
My mother was schizophrenic, so I did not have the best memories with her. She would not take medication. This is also a huge part of the pain I feel.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Another thing is I'm feeling out of it from grief, I've noticed. So that is getting to me.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Sorry to hear of your loss.

You don't need meds or supps.

Hit the weights.

Hit the weights hard, put all your grief and negative energy into the gym.

And get some counselling.

That will level you out.

tstak

Awards
It took me close to 5 years to say that i was over my mother passing away.

She was literally the only family i had......So when i lost her i lost everything........

My mom had stage 4 cancer so i literally was watching her die in her last months.

Theres going to pain...

Supplements are a bad idea and mostly stimulants high chance of addiction during this period..... I had a kid after my mother passed away which put quite a bit of pressure on me and eventually lead me into deeper depression.

If i could go back and give myself advice i wish i would of made some outrageous goal and put all my energy and focus into just that. Instead i decided to hide my suffering and eventually it set me back years.........

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Another thing is I'm feeling out of it from grief, I've noticed. So that is getting to me.
You are going to feel out of it. I remember when my friend died. I was sitting in a meeting one morning and got a text from my brother that asked, "Did you hear about Mike?"

And I remember KNOWING what that text meant with no explanation. I somehow finished my meeting on autopilot and when I left I drove around town in a stupor. I remember thinking, "No big deal." Like it was fine. It wasn't going to matter. It was just denial and I was crushed and just dazed. I couldn't believe it.

You really need to find a way to talk with people in your life and just get out and be doing something. Maybe lifting weights takes too much motivation right now...so go shopping, or to dinner, or to a movie with a friend. Just put one foot in front of the other.

You have life left to live.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you are looking for motivation and a distraction of sorts. If that is what you seek then if I were you I would find some sort of contest or challenge to do and sign up for it. That or create something that will require your focus. In times of loss and pain you are not typically going to have a lot of motivation and feel like you are going through the motions and forcing yourself to do everyday things, much less workout. So find an outer source of motivation.

Maybe you can find a charity function benefiting schizophrenia you can get involved in, or decide to run an adventure race, or do something you have always wanted to do and dedicate it to her. You look like you are in awesome shape, if you compete maybe pick a show and dedicate it to her then focus on coming in better than ever. If you don't compete but have always wanted to then do that for her. Use your love for her, and desire to honor her in some way to help you to keep moving.

Those things will help you fake it until you make it. Sometimes life just goes on and when you don't want to fall behind you just have to go through the motions for a bit until you can give more.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
It is comforting to hear the replies about other peoples family and friends. So please don't feel like you are threadjacking.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My condolences for your loss. It's never an easy thing losing a member of your family, and much harder when it's a member of your immediate family. But in all honesty, you need to allow yourself to grieve and to not try take away from it. Suppressing it will only cause it to come back later and haunt you. Grief is a natural emotion, a painful one sure, but it eases over time.

Now is the time to surround yourself with friends and family and go through the motions and stages of grief. It will be hard, and it will get harder, but eventually it will get easier to cope.

All the best

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My condolences for your loss. It's never an easy thing losing a member of your family, and much harder when it's a member of your immediate family. But in all honesty, you need to allow yourself to grieve and to not try take away from it. Suppressing it will only cause it to come back later and haunt you. Grief is a natural emotion, a painful one sure, but it eases over time.

Now is the time to surround yourself with friends and family and go through the motions and stages of grief. It will be hard, and it will get harder, but eventually it will get easier to cope.

All the best
See ill agree with this for 99% of the population. As for me i found that to be the hardest way. I do have clinical depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. I find it best to use something for the initial little bit until your are in a better place, which allowed me to get over it much much easier.

For me the best for this was tianeptine for a 2 weeks following the death of my grandpa(he wasn't just my grandpa he literally was my best friend). It allowed my to get through the initial trama of it, and let properly grief, when i was in a better state of mind to do so. I honestly dont know if i would have made it through if it didn't.

Take my experience for what it is as im not your regular case.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
See ill agree with this for 99% of the population. As for me i found that to be the hardest way. I do have clinical depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. I find it best to use something for the initial little bit until your are in a better place, which allowed me to get over it much much easier.

For me the best for this was tianeptine for a 2 weeks following the death of my grandpa(he wasn't just my grandpa he literally was my best friend). It allowed my to get through the initial trama of it, and let properly grief, when i was in a better state of mind to do so. I honestly dont know if i would have made it through if it didn't.

For sure, and that may be a personal thing you have to decide for yourself.

The main 'issue' I would have is that some people may abuse those medications to avoid the issue and end up with a deep rooted depression or grief that is harder to shake. That would be something for you and your medical professional to discuss.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree that there may be a need for some form of chemical intervention in some instances. Supplements in this regard won't help, and self medicating when you are not clear headed isn't a good idea. If this is a real need, a medical professional should be involved and will be very very valuable. No shame in medication and medical help if needed.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Certainly, those who NEED medicine should take it. A chemical balance needs to be treated, and if it is something you can cope with during normal situations many people try but in a real moment of loss it becomes important to do so in order to keep the person from a downward spiral. My wife is BiPolar Type 2, so I am quite used to what happens if things are allowed to spiral out of control.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree that there may be a need for some form of chemical intervention in some instances. Supplements in this regard won't help, and self medicating when you are not clear headed isn't a good idea. If this is a real need, a medical professional should be involved and will be very very valuable. No shame in medication and medical help if needed.
Make sure it is a qualified psychiatrist, not your PCP. They may have the ability to prescribe them but are not exactly qualified to. I see them toss people who are mourning on antidepressants in the blink of an eye with no concern for if it is warranted, or how it effects people who do not need it.