I have shoulder pain on low incline bench(35 degrees) and flat, but not high incline(45 degrees)

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I noticed I flare my shoulders out even on a swiss bar, except with a semi underhand grip. Neutral grip I still flare my elbows no matter what. I don't eve flare with a semi underhand grip, but I still get pain on low inclines and flat, no matter the grip. I dont get any pain at all no matter the grip on shoulder presses. The flatter I lay, the more my shoulders hurt. Any advise for this and is high incline okay to do for nor for overall chest?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update: Okay, I know what is going on, but I still do not know how to fix the issue. Keep in mind I have slight scoliosis, so I don't know if this is why. When I am laying at a 45 degree incline, I am able to put my shoulder blades back and down and keep a stable base WAY more than on a lower incline and flat. In fact, I can barely move my shoulder blades down and back at a lower angle. So now my question is, should I just do bench at this angle, or should I try to get better at a lower angle. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Last edited:
MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Like any rotator cuff/shoulder injury, you don't want to aggravate it. Just do any movements that don't cause any pain so u can still benefit from a chest/shoulder workout.

These types of injuries can take almost 5months to heal in some cases.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm old 44, and my shoulders really hurt.
To the point where I was not doing bench or dumbells, only machines.

I met guy at the gym and he gave me this routine to try as it worked wonders for him.
I have been using the routine and now I'm back to pushing 120 dbs for 10 on chest press and I got the 90s for 15 on shoulders the other day.

I.may even try a barbell soon.
Here's the routine:
5-10 pound db 4 sets
12-15 reps internal rotation
12-15 reps at 90degree
12-15 reps front raise
5 reps clockwise and counter
Switch arms

He suggested I try a supplement called bioflex or osteo flex. But the results from the warm-up has helped tremendously so I haven't used it. I also try to sleep sitting up more with my arms to my sides instead of my stomach but I have obstruction sleep apnea and that makes it tough.

I do the exercises on chest and shoulders days.
Chest day I start at the 20 pound dbs and move in 10 pound increments all the way up to the 120s.
I really think taking it slow starting out very light and not jumping to heavier weight quickly helps a lot also.

Good luck

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Shiznown I have the exact same problem. I had rotator cuff surgery back in 2017. About a year later, I went back to the surgeon for pain in that shoulder.. The MRI showed that it still had a tear. Did it still have a tear, or did I do too much too soon after the surgery??
At any rate, I'm like you. I can't flat press a 20# db, but 80# dbs on the incline is easy...