Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy smokes man. You’re doing sets of 12 neutral grip pull-ups at 260 lb?!
Lol I think it’s funny that of everything that has happened in this log over the last month, that’s what caught your eye!

Martins Licis said in a video once that he knows if he can’t do multiple sets of 10 on bodyweight pull-ups, even over 300lbs, his upper back strength will be lacking when it matters. So he will always make sure to bring them up to snuff as fast as possible.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/3/24
BW 252.8

Wall Slides
Floor Angels

Bench
45,135,185,225,275x5
295 2x5
310x5

V-grip Chins
5x10

Reverse Pec Deck
70x15
90,100,110x12

Was able to hit the commercial gym while my son napped to get some upper accessory in to complement the max effort bench from yesterday. Squats & pulls early in the morning!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lol I think it’s funny that of everything that has happened in this log over the last month, that’s what caught your eye!

Martins Licis said in a video once that he knows if he can’t do multiple sets of 10 on bodyweight pull-ups, even over 300lbs, his upper back strength will be lacking when it matters. So he will always make sure to bring them up to snuff as fast as possible.
lol
I guess because while it’s rare to see someone moving the weights you are, it’s even more rare to see someone moving the weights you are AND repping out pull-ups!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
lol
I guess because while it’s rare to see someone moving the weights you are, it’s even more rare to see someone moving the weights you are AND repping out pull-ups!
You gotta check out Andrey Smaev:

Guy’s pull-up & benchpress game is insane. You can see him here benching 617 raw in the gym, and just repping away on pulls with 220lbs hanging from his waist. Big wide lats help support a bigger press - especially when you have arms like this guy!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/4/24

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts

Giant Camber Bar Squat
85x5
+doubled minibands choked high
85 3x3
195x3
+belt
305 2x3, 3x5

Deadlift, Texas DL bar
155,265,355x3
+belt
405x3
425x8

Tried to get up at 3:50 for this one but accidentally fell back asleep until 5, so I ran out of time for accessory before having to travel for a family gathering. Between a max frontsquat just 48 hours prior from shifting training back from sickness, and not enough food or sleep since, I just wasn’t fully recovered & didn’t have it today. Did what I could 🤷‍♂️

Plus those bands doubled and hung on the top of the camber bar had to be like 70-100lbs at top; I nearly fell backwards unracking it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Guy’s pull-up & benchpress game is insane. You can see him here benching 617 raw in the gym, and just repping away on pulls with 220lbs hanging from his waist. Big wide lats help support a bigger press - especially when you have arms like this guy!
Beast. Crushing people at arm wrestling too lol.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/4/24

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts

Giant Camber Bar Squat
85x5
+doubled minibands choked high
85 3x3
195x3
+belt
305 2x3, 3x5

Deadlift, Texas DL bar
155,265,355x3
+belt
405x3
425x8

Tried to get up at 3:50 for this one but accidentally fell back asleep until 5, so I ran out of time for accessory before having to travel for a family gathering. Between a max frontsquat just 48 hours prior from shifting training back from sickness, and not enough food or sleep since, I just wasn’t fully recovered & didn’t have it today. Did what I could 🤷‍♂️

Plus those bands doubled and hung on the top of the camber bar had to be like 70-100lbs at top; I nearly fell backwards unracking it.
That’s a hefty amount of tension! Hope you’re 100% when you rise.

Funny, a couple of hours ago I was pondering my bench movement tomorrow and landed on either giant camber or buffalo

Anabolic66

Anabolic66

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Crazy Strength...

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Yeah that dude is crazy strong at everything he does. And man that front squat PR just looked wild, very impressive. Nothing like a little gym competition to get you to try something you haven’t attempted before. Hope the family is feeling better from that bug, sounds like a virus did a drive by.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s a hefty amount of tension! Hope you’re 100% when you rise.

Funny, a couple of hours ago I was pondering my bench movement tomorrow and landed on either giant camber or buffalo
Never benched against the giant camber; Luke Nall just did the other week my wife said (she does the Facebooking in the house & he’s from here previously) and he mentioned he didn’t like how it throws off the bar path. Probably a good “wild card” option lol.

I like using the Buffalo but with at least doubled micros - I am paranoid about blowing a pec on max effort with it with the deep chest stretch, but accommodating resistance would take that final bit off where stress is highest. Heard Jason Coker talk about that one, that he will never max the buffalo out with straight weight.

Yeah that dude is crazy strong at everything he does. And man that front squat PR just looked wild, very impressive. Nothing like a little gym competition to get you to try something you haven’t attempted before. Hope the family is feeling better from that bug, sounds like a virus did a drive by.
Thank you, we are doing better. Drive by is accurate! Got 3/4 of us.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A few cool things:

-Brought my weight belt back in a hole.

-Definitely have more upper body muscle & retained benchpress strength at this lower bodyweight since the blast to 405.

-With my son turned 3, last week he did a gymnastics session with the next age group up that does not have parents on the floor. It went smoothly & the instructor said he is ready, so he’s officially graduated to the next level of training. I will miss holding his hand on the balance beam!

-He’s also potty trained very well this last month, wearing underwear full time except for sleeping (and generally dry when he wakes up now too). This adds its own challenges, but it’s great to be free of the diaper-changing!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

-Definitely have more upper body muscle & retained benchpress strength at this lower bodyweight since the blast to 405.
wild gains.
I'm honestly still shocked by how much size retention I seem to have after each bulk and cut. I know it's old school methodology but it's still surreal to me to see those weight belts come down while lats, shoulders, pecs, arms and strength stay higher than the last time the belt was on "x" hole.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A few cool things:

-With my son turned 3, last week he did a gymnastics session with the next age group up that does not have parents on the floor. It went smoothly & the instructor said he is ready, so he’s officially graduated to the next level of training. I will miss holding his hand on the balance beam!

-He’s also potty trained very well this last month, wearing underwear full time except for sleeping (and generally dry when he wakes up now too). This adds its own challenges, but it’s great to be free of the diaper-changing!
Nice! That is a relief. I remember when I was potty training the boy and I came in one time to turds in the sink. All I could do was laugh and take a pic for the wife lol.

Now you’re gonna have a boatload more training time not being up to your elbows in shite.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/6/24

Band Warmups
Wall slides
Push-ups

Dynamic Bench, power bar
45x10,5
+vs doubles minibands
45x5
95,135x3
175 5x5 30 sec rests

Floorpress
45,135,225x5
275x3
315x3,3,5

DB Low Incline, slow negative
60,75x10
90 2x10

KB Skullcrushers
35 3x14

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
25 4x15

Push-ups
3x10 cluster w/ changing widths

Doubled Miniband Pushdowns
1x50

Elbow mobility has improved since last ART visit, along with the drills he’s had me doing primarily, and it meant that I could touch better with less pain - consequently, speed bench kicked ass today, and so did Floorpress, Skullcrushers, and deeper ROM achieved on DB Incline (did slow negatives to push and build that bottom elbow ROM).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Love hearing about your progress with your elbow. It's awesome when you recover ROM and renew capabilities.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Tonight is Max Effort Lower, and I am thinking I need to see where I stand on the Trapbar for the challenge we have going at the gym (current 1RMs on Frontsquat, Incline Bench, and Kabuki Trapbar hi handles). The guy I beat on Frontsquat did 656 to beat another guy’s 655 by 1 single pound lol.

Deadlift has not been my strong suit in recent times, but I am built well for this implement, so I hope to take 600 minimum!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tonight is Max Effort Lower, and I am thinking I need to see where I stand on the Trapbar for the challenge we have going at the gym (current 1RMs on Frontsquat, Incline Bench, and Kabuki Trapbar hi handles). The guy I beat on Frontsquat did 656 to beat another guy’s 655 by 1 single pound lol.

Deadlift has not been my strong suit in recent times, but I am built well for this implement, so I hope to take 600 minimum!
May the Force be with you!

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I've found my problem. I dont have a gym nemesis. That one guy you compete with that has absolutely no idea that you're competing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've found my problem. I dont have a gym nemesis. That one guy you compete with that has absolutely no idea that you're competing.
Oh he knows; I showed him the Frontsquat video yesterday morning! And was calculating the weights with him to make sure I did what I needed to beat his dips the other week.

This barbell club is for competitors only, so I suppose it just comes with the territory. It’s ALWAYS about who is stronger 🥲

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh he knows; I showed him the Frontsquat video yesterday morning! And was calculating the weights with him to make sure I did what I needed to beat his dips the other week.

This barbell club is for competitors only, so I suppose it just comes with the territory. It’s ALWAYS about who is stronger 🥲
That sounds like a great club. That competitive atmosphere is something I do miss from the old days when are hockey team was weight training.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/7/24
BW 255.0

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts

Trapbar Deadlift, Kabuki hi handles
155x5
245x3
335,425x1
+belt
515,605,661,705x1 PR

RDLs, Tex deadlift bar, beltless
225,275x10
+straps
315,345x10

HS CSR
115 5x12

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 2x15

“IT’S A MINDSET!!!”

IMG_9170.JPG

705lbs / 320kg

Anabolic66

Anabolic66

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
2/7/24
BW 255.0

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts

Trapbar Deadlift, Kabuki hi handles
155x5
245x3
335,425x1
+belt
515,605,661,705x1 PR

RDLs, Tex deadlift bar, beltless
225,275x10
+straps
315,345x10

HS CSR
115 5x12

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 2x15

“IT’S A MINDSET!!!”

View attachment 240154

705lbs / 320kg
BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Absolute beast. I won't see those numbers for 2 years if I don't get hurt first lol.

Are those Ursus shoes? I've been eyeballing them for a minute. I've been wearing the same set of Reeboks (I think Nano?) since 2016 for everything but heavy squats.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
absolute monster mode! and you're actually looking somehow crazy lean at this weight?!
That’s true…..Hyde, you are looking lean at this weight, but those shoulders, arms, and traps were popping on that lift.💪

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks all! I have been truly trying to stop putting mental limits on my potential, instead focusing on just giving more of my best daily.

I am going to refer to you as Mr. Hyde from now on. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Congratulations!!!
That is indeed where the username came from!

Are those Ursus shoes? I've been eyeballing them for a minute. I've been wearing the same set of Reeboks (I think Nano?) since 2016 for everything but heavy squats.
They are. I really like them for all of my squats and pulls. Basically a deadlift slipper with a hard grippy bottom for protection, and a wider toebox. I was going through a pair of $45+ Chucks used exclusively inside the gym at least every year. I have had these now for several years - they have more than paid for themselves, and also a much better performer.

That’s true…..Hyde, you are looking lean at this weight, but those shoulders, arms, and traps were popping on that lift.
Definitely noticing more vascularity showing through easier in my forearms and shoulders lately, so probably back under 25% bodyfat.

But it is a tank top - classic fat powerlifter move to display the beef & cover the belly

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/9/24

Wall Slides
Banded Floor Angels
Serratus Activations

Band Rear Delts, Lats, Tris, Flyes, Pressing
2 rounds

Incline Bench
45 5x5
95,135x5
175,205x3
225,245,265,285,305x1 PR

This was a pretty momentous morning for me. ART doc was very happy yesterday and could tell I have been doing the drills because the improvements were obvious. He worked the back of my shoulders hard yesterday, had me ice them, and had me begin adding band tension for my RC work.

For the first time in years, I was able to blow my nose like a regular person today, with my hands even on both sides of the tissue.

So I went to do full range incline bench, with no recent work down in that ROM. I had no pain pressing, only tons of tension getting down to touch. I eventually did get forearm pain touching once I got past 225, from it being stretched under load in a way it hasn’t in so long, but at that point I was mentally committed to pushing to the limit. Even through the pain, even with the total lack of familiarity with the ROM or much power at the bottom, I managed a 20lb lifetime PR.

Elbow was fried after that, so I will have to do accessories tomorrow after letting this cool down, but I came with an axe to grind & proved it to myself: I am stronger than ever and determined to improve!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/9/24

Wall Slides
Banded Floor Angels
Serratus Activations

Band Rear Delts, Lats, Tris, Flyes, Pressing
2 rounds

Incline Bench
45 5x5
95,135x5
175,205x3
225,245,265,285,305x1 PR

This was a pretty momentous morning for me. ART doc was very happy yesterday and could tell I have been doing the drills because the improvements were obvious. He worked the back of my shoulders hard yesterday, had me ice them, and had me begin adding band tension for my RC work.

For the first time in years, I was able to blow my nose like a regular person today, with my hands even on both sides of the tissue.

So I went to do full range incline bench, with no recent work down in that ROM. I had no pain pressing, only tons of tension getting down to touch. I eventually did get forearm pain touching once I got past 225, from it being stretched under load in a way it hasn’t in so long, but at that point I was mentally committed to pushing to the limit. Even through the pain, even with the total lack of familiarity with the ROM or much power at the bottom, I managed a 20lb lifetime PR.

Elbow was fried after that, so I will have to do accessories tomorrow after letting this cool down, but I came with an axe to grind & proved it to myself: I am stronger than ever and determined to improve!
Congratulations on your incline PR and pushing your ROM to new limits, that has to feel good.
Sounds like you have a good ART Doc that knows what he’s doing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congratulations on your incline PR and pushing your ROM to new limits, that has to feel good.
Sounds like you have a good ART Doc that knows what he’s doing.
I expect to progress a bit further considering my shoulder mobility is still improving too.

He really does. He was telling me yesterday about one of his ART re-certification trial. It’s hands on and the 3 judges watch you treat someone they provide at the live clinic, filming it and then they send you the video with commentary overlaid & your score. They will ask you at points during the therapy what you are trying to work & your reasoning for that.

He was given a member of the US Olympic Weightlifting team, and they actually stopped him at the beginning early on to bring the 107 people in the assembly next door over to watch him treat/be tested. He said he was sweating bullets, but the lifter had a huge obvious mobility improvement by the end and joked that he needed him to come to Beijing lol. He said the judges gave him a pass with flying colors, but you don’t know that until you get the video days later!

Bench PR! Gotta love that feeling man, stoked for ya!
I am stoked for being able to do it with no training prior - I know the number will improve as I can further increase mobility and train more ROM!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome dude. I’d love to be able to incline press 305!

Congratulations on nose blowing PR also!
I’m not ungrateful; it was a rush. I just know what I can bench, and what my foundation is cable of when I can get my elbow fully on board!

Honestly the nose blowing was the most important PR, seriously - not that I mind doing it one-handed, but as a harbinger of mobility progress it is huge.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/11/24

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts
BW RFE Splitsquat

Dynamic Squat, giant camber bar
85x5
195x4
285x3
+belt
375,395,405,415,425,441x3

Deadlift, Texas dl bar
155x5
265,315,375x3
+belt
405x3
435x8

Lunges
BW 3x12 (1 walking, 1 knee over toes, 1 standard)

Plate-loaded Leg Extension
45x5
90x15
115x12,15
125x12

ss w/ GHD Sit-ups, slow hip flexor-focus
BW 2x8

KB Preacher Curl
18 2x12

Ditched the bands and ran straight weight for last week of giant camber work - ran a good 50kg more average bar weight & things moved well today. 10 more lbs on my deadlift set too, and worked some targeted accessory too. ‘Twas a good day!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
2/11/24

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlifts
BW RFE Splitsquat

Dynamic Squat, giant camber bar
85x5
195x4
285x3
+belt
375,395,405,415,425,441x3

Deadlift, Texas dl bar
155x5
265,315,375x3
+belt
405x3
435x8

Lunges
BW 3x12 (1 walking, 1 knee over toes, 1 standard)

Plate-loaded Leg Extension
45x5
90x15
115x12,15
125x12

ss w/ GHD Sit-ups, slow hip flexor-focus
BW 2x8

KB Preacher Curl
18 2x12

Ditched the bands and ran straight weight for last week of giant camber work - ran a good 50kg more average bar weight & things moved well today. 10 more lbs on my deadlift set too, and worked some targeted accessory too. ‘Twas a good day!
Looks like it was a great day. Awesome work all across the board man.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad to hear about the mobility improvements and the incline bench PR! Things are progressing well for you.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad to hear about the mobility improvements and the incline bench PR! Things are progressing well for you.
Yeah they really have been - it’s been a month now just cruising 150-180mg test e/wk, so no special assistance to speak of, but I have been making great training progress overall. That is something I was considering the other day, how things just seem to be clicking.

I think work and family stress have been managed well, I am eating at maintenance to have enough energy to train hard, doing my rehab/preparatory work outside of training, prioritizing sleep, and trying to be judicious in my training decisions.

Said more simply, I think I have basically been doing everything else “right” overall. I sure hope I can keep the momentum!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 1
Hyde Supplement Logs 160
Hyde Cycle Logs 101
Hyde Supplement Logs 69
Hyde Supplement Logs 73