How to add powder to preworkout

Vitruvian Man

Vitruvian Man

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If I wanted to add 3g creatine and 2g GMS to my preworkout per scoop (20 serving per container) so I’d add 60g creatine, 40g GMS. How do you go about making sure it’s evenly mixed?

blend it? Or would this require higher level machinery

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I always keep them separate and measure them each time I consume a serving. I'm sure someone on here has better knowledge on bulk mixing and what all you need to do to ensure you're not getting 6g creatine when you actual only wanted 3g per serving.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I always keep them separate and measure them each time I consume a serving. I'm sure someone on here has better knowledge on bulk mixing and what all you need to do to ensure you're not getting 6g creatine when you actual only wanted 3g per serving.
Bump

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can’t do it yourself. There is precise machinery for making the blends. You just have to add it in every time you make a shaker.

blackirish36

Awards
  • First Up Vote
If all of your constituent powders are of consisent particle size (all finely powdered, not granular), you should be able to obtain a homogeneous mixture by placing them in a container with enough extra room to allow free movement and shaking vigorously. You can give the mixture a good shake, inverting the container a few times, before each use. Most supp maufacturers use tumbling or vibrating hoppers to mix their combo supplements. I was a chemical lab tech for several years, and am familiar with mixing processes. I also mix and cap my own custom blends for personal use.
How many grams of your preworkout are there per scoop (or serving, if a serving is more than one scoop)?

Last edited:
u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly mate you’re better off just buying a few little tubberware pots and putting a session’s worth of pre (pre+creatine+whatever) in each pot. If you go to like Walmart or somewhere similar you could probably get lil pots like that for a couple bucks each.
Alternatively you could put a suitable scoop with some of each additional ingredient in separate labelled zip lock bags and leave them with a tub of pre in your car to mix on demand

Doing what blackirish outlined would be more effort, more time consuming and it’d come with a lot more uncertainty than the lil pots and zip lock bags methods. Like he said the supps companies use fancy machinery to do the mixing.
Then whenever you go to the gym from your home you might as well just mix it fresh like leanengineer

Last edited:

blackirish36

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Honestly mate you’re better off just buying a few little tubberware pots and putting a session’s worth of pre (pre+creatine+whatever) in each pot. If you go to like Walmart or somewhere similar you could probably get lil pots like that for a couple bucks each.
Alternatively you could put a suitable scoop with some of each additional ingredient in separate labelled zip lock bags and leave them with a tub of pre in your car to mix on demand

Doing what blackirish outlined would be more effort, more time consuming and it’d come with a lot more uncertainty than the lil pots and zip lock bags methods. Like he said the supps companies use fancy machinery to do the mixing.
Then whenever you go to the gym from your home you might as well just mix it fresh like leanengineer
I agree with u_e_s_i on this, by the way. It is more trouble than it is worth to mix them. My point was that it could be done. The precision machinery involved in making a blend is not the mixing apparatus, but rather the metering equipment required to produce an exact blend of ingredients per label claims. Mostly, I didn't want Vitruvian Man put off of experimenting with his own blends by being told that it wasn't possible.

Last edited:
u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with u_e_s_i on this, by the way. It is more trouble than it is worth to mix them. My point was that it could be done. The precision machinery involved in making a blend is not the mixing apparatus, but rather the metering equipment required to produce an exact blend of ingredients per label claims. Mostly, I didn't want Vitruvian Man put off of experimenting with his own blends by being told that it wasn't possible.
That’s fair man. And yeh for the record I make my own blends too but I’ve stuck with the methods I described for the reasons I listed and also because after experimenting with mixing big batches of blends I realised that once you’ve made your initial blend your options for tweaking your recipe are limited in the short-term (unless you just chuck your blend out and start from scratch)

blackirish36

Awards
  • First Up Vote
That’s fair man. And yeh for the record I make my own blends too but I’ve stuck with the methods I described for the reasons I listed and also because after experimenting with mixing big batches of blends I realised that once you’ve made your initial blend your options for tweaking your recipe are limited in the short-term (unless you just chuck your blend out and start from scratch)
I agree, sir.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say it can be done. Just save an old protein jug to do the mixing. Give it a good shake, pour it back, and your all set. You might get some settling out but it is a pre-workout, not a pharmaceutical. If you end up with 90% mix distribution it is still good enough. Now it is a cost verses benefit call. If you are on a budget you can save some coin by buying in bulk, and rolling your own. If cash is not a problem, then a pre-made is the right call.
Personally I am a cheap bastard, and I like to save some money buy adding some too a pre when I want. I also like the single tube approach to a pre-workout. When the gyms were open in my area, I was thinking lifts, sets and reps. Measuring and mixing multiple ingrdiants before a work out I would find distracting. Perhaps working 60 hours a week and still trying to get to the gym might have something to do with this mind set.