How often should a person weigh themselves if they are not preparing for a show?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
How often do you guys normally weigh yourselves?

Do you think its necessary to do it all the time?

A friend of mine, used to compete, hasn't weighed himself at home in 20 years. Just goes by how his clothes fit and how he looks in photos and in front of the mirror.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All personal preference.

I weigh myself probably twice a week (always first thing upon rising or immediately after basketball).

I go by how I feel, how i look and clothes fit more than anything, but not weighing yourself at all js a slippery slope (at least for me).

AntSoldier

Awards
  • Established
Once a week at Slimming World ? on a Saturday morning. Then spend Saturday afternoon eating a weeks worth of sins.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3x a day, definitely necessary. ;)

Only time I weigh myself is at the dr's office. I go by the mirror and how I feel. Imo being OCD about any of this is a slippery slope to a life of chronic stress and worry.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One thing I like to tell people, is when you go on stage or to the beach or whatever, are you gonna bring a scale so you can show everyone how much you weigh? For most, the answer is no, so I wouldn’t worry about scale weight.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
3x a day, definitely necessary. ;)

Only time I weigh myself is at the dr's office. I go by the mirror and how I feel. Imo being OCD about any of this is a slippery slope to a life of chronic stress and worry.
Exactly. People's weight changes by the hour and by the day. To be OCD like that can lead to a person never feeling like they can enjoy life since they are always trying to hit a certain number. Sometimes you just gotta say **** the scale and just do what you want. As long as the person is staying dedicated in the gym and eating healthy most the time, a little fun here and there should not be decided on if you gotta hit a certain number on the scale that week. You are smart only weighing yourself when you go to the doctor to be honest.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I am starting to wonder if your the next NPCcompete with how many threads you make every day in each section........
It doesn't matter how many times one weighs themselves in the offseason. You do it to keep yourself accountable. The scale is the least important tool as the mirror always reigns supreme.

I have clients that weight themselves everyday, some once a week, some none. A scale can be a tool that mess's with ones head and gives them extra stress and anxiety, so therefore I don't even have them step on it, I just utilize the mirror to make dietary changes weather they count calories or use intuitive eating.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
I am starting to wonder if your the next NPCcompete with how many threads you make every day in each section........
It doesn't matter how many times one weighs themselves in the offseason. You do it to keep yourself accountable. The scale is the least important tool as the mirror always reigns supreme.

I have clients that weight themselves everyday, some once a week, some none. A scale can be a tool that mess's with ones head and gives them extra stress and anxiety, so therefore I don't even have them step on it, I just utilize the mirror to make dietary changes weather they count calories or use intuitive eating.
The thing I am struggling with right now is not weighing myself every week. I have to do it, its like a religion to me. Its how I monitor my progress but it also creates a sense of OCD for myself because I always want to make the weight I am shooting for the following week. So that means tons of dedication and sacrifice away from other things. Such as tonight, weigh in is tomorrow morning. I have the opportunity to go out tonight and I'm choosing not to because I decided a few weeks ago to do a mini cut. Tomorrow is my day to cheat so my reward will be after I step on that scale at 5 am.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Npccompete and heyboy

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The thing I am struggling with right now is not weighing myself every week. I have to do it, its like a religion to me. Its how I monitor my progress but it also creates a sense of OCD for myself because I always want to make the weight I am shooting for the following week. So that means tons of dedication and sacrifice away from other things. Such as tonight, weigh in is tomorrow morning. I have the opportunity to go out tonight and I'm choosing not to because I decided a few weeks ago to do a mini cut. Tomorrow is my day to cheat so my reward will be after I step on that scale at 5 am.
Without trying to be a dyck, you seem like you got some serious issues with yourself and insecure. Why are you so concerned with what everyone else dose. Live your life, do what makes you happy and stop worrying about what other people think and do

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That not only is a huge red flag, it shows you have a horrible relationship with a scale (A tool), body image and relationship with food to negate going out. Who cares if you do a mini cut 2 weeks from today or a month from today? nobody but yourself. Your structing your life around your sacle and weighting in which is a bad thing.

You are not getting paid to track calories
You are not in contest prep
You don't have to spend your nights thinking about waking up and weighing in.

Unless you are 2 weeks out from a show, in contest prep, or doing a photoshoot for you to ignore going out, enjoying moderation, or practicing social balance is a huge red flag. You need to re-evaluate your goals, priorities, and your mental mindset. Sounds like you may need to seek a psycologist to deal with your mental thoughts.

You should stop and take a step back and totally re evaluate your goals and relationship towards what your doing. Your balance lacks.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That not only is a huge red flag, it shows you have a horrible relationship with a scale (A tool), body image and relationship with food to negate going out. Who cares if you do a mini cut 2 weeks from today or a month from today? nobody but yourself. Your structing your life around your sacle and weighting in which is a bad thing.

Unless you are 2 weeks out from a show, in contest prep, or doing a photoshoot for you to ignore going out, enjoying moderation, or practicing social balance is a huge red flag. You need to re-evaluate your goals, priorities, and your mental mindset. Sounds like you may need to seek a psycologist to deal with your mental thoughts.

You should stop and take a step back and totally re evaluate your goals and relationship towards what your doing. Your balance lacks.
Good advice here

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I think it is evident from some of his posts he has some sort of ED or body issue. Not to sound like a jerk, just something I have picked up. Take this advice OP.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think it is evident from some of his posts he has some sort of ED or body issue. Not to sound like a jerk, just something I have picked up. Take this advice OP.
NPC Compete Clone V2

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I just go by how my clothes fit

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Weigh myself every day then take the average over the 7 days and log it on a Thursday, balances out the daily fluctuation.