How much protein do you supplement a day?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Obviously you want to get as much protein from food sources as you can, but I was curious how much people are getting from supplements? Either protein bars or shakes.

I find now during cutting I’m having to get 50-75g of powder a day. I know real food would keep me fuller, longer, but I also can’t stand chicken breast anymore and have been using thighs, so the fat takes up additional calories so the powder is super easy. Especially since I like intermittent fasting, but know I should probably be getting nutrients in during the day, I’ve been using shakes and some fruit as my first couple small snacks.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im a bit obnoxious I say ATLEAST 150gms of protein from protein powder ...if not more.

For a few reasons.... I am keto and I fast. So both means I need my protein. I fast which means I eat 1-2 times a day so there is no way I will get 300+gms protein a day from whole food sources. And protein powder is tasty as heck and I mix it in yogurt, add some flax meal or whatever else I have handy so its not a boring drink. I love my #ProteinSludge

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
0-50, only when I can't get a real meal in because Its literally impossible or when I'm making a dessert.

Like last night I made a 50gm shake and put it in the blender with ice, frozen bananas and dark chocolate to make ice cream

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm right there with you at 50-75g - all sludge and proats. My main reasons are money and time. Protein powder is generally cheaper than whole foods and my wife would kill me if I was in the kitchen prepping any more meals.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
100g of protein powder a day. And then whatever food I eat for the day. I really don't keep track.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I was using a ton of protein powder at the beginning of my cut to make protein sludge and protein oats - probably around 75 grams / day.

Now I've transitioned to maybe 30g / day, and opted to have the majority of my protein come from meat solely because its more satiating. I do a big omelette in the morning with like 200g egg whites and a whole egg, usually 200-250 g of chicken breast/96% ground beef for lunch, and a serving of salmon some evenings. Having my protein come from regular food rather than powder is way more sustainable for me long term.

For chicken, I'll either use a packet of asian seasoning or a packet of fajita seasoning when I cook it to keep my taste buds entertained.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
2 shakes a day, roughly 45-50g from powder.
Same. 150gms or so from food. I grill chicken with Italian dressing for flavor, most of the oil seems like it's gone and the flavor remains after cooking. I put cinnamon in cottage cheese at night, I can't eat that sh1t plain

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Same. 150gms or so from food. I grill chicken with Italian dressing for flavor, most of the oil seems like it's gone and the flavor remains after cooking. I put cinnamon in cottage cheese at night, I can't eat that sh1t plain

yep. The rest of my protein comes from greek yogurt and chicken, which is another 150g or so.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
50-100 depending on the day. I find myself drinking my cals a bit more on days where I've got softball games at night... I don't like running around in the heat with a full meal in my stomach.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
25-50g whey iso powder and 7-15g collagen powder. only one scoop per shake cuz I use cow milk and raw eggs too. my second scoop is usually in pancakes so it doesn't really feel like drinking a shake

pureburl

Awards
  • Established
40g typically. You could try fish if you’re burnt out on chicken or just prepare your chicken differently using spices and/or sauces. Some pretty decent low calorie sauces and marinades out there

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do 1 scoop of PEScience Select with my 2 eggs and Cream Of Rice in the morning, pre workout. Then 1 scoop of the same protein (different flavor) post workout. I usually either cook some rice and mix the protein in with it plus some honey. Or make a thick smoothie with ice, almond milk and a banana.

If I got a sweet tooth in the evening I will use the Select Vegan protein and make either a protein ice cream, protein pudding or protein mud cake.

I do prefer to eat all my nutrients, so i rarely just do a regular protein shake.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some pretty decent low calorie sauces and marinades out there
Agreed! I've got a slue of hot sauces that I go through to mix up the taste and spice level!

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
25g.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
50g or 2 shakes per day currently while cutting. I find it easier to get in protein with fewer cals with a shake vs other foods. But I'm also 164#, so depending on your weight you may need more to get in your daily intake needs. When maintenance/bulking I'll have 2-3 shakes, so 50-75g.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I do 1 scoop of PEScience Select with my 2 eggs and Cream Of Rice in the morning, pre workout.
I’ve never had cream of rice before. Assuming it’s cooked similar to oats on the stove/microwave. You mix your protein with cream of rice?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve never had cream of rice before. Assuming it’s cooked similar to oats on the stove/microwave. You mix your protein with cream of rice?
I cook it on the stove but i dont mix my protein in it. I make a protein sludge and pour it on top. I use unflavoured cream of rice but there are tons of flavoured options out there as well.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I cook it on the stove but i dont mix my protein in it. I make a protein sludge and pour it on top. I use unflavoured cream of rice but there are tons of flavoured options out there as well.
I'm a big fan of Flavor Gang Bowl O' Gainz and Rice & Grind's.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
25-50g depending on how busy I am that day.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Night time I do sustamine /glutamine 10 grams plus hmb free acid and 50 grams of micellar casein.
My preworkout shake also has around 20-40 grams of leucine peptides .
Rest comes from beef .

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Night time I do sustamine /glutamine 10 grams plus hmb free acid and 50 grams of micellar casein.
My preworkout shake also has around 20-40 grams of leucine peptides .
Rest comes from beef .
you might consider cutting back on glutamine. it can be toxic

this girl had liver issues with 10g/day

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never had issues with glutamine . In fact studies I saw show glutamine differently.

Research shows that an 8-gram dose of glutamine directly after exercise promotes the same glycogen storage effect as consuming 61-grams of glucose!

Being able to load glycogen into your muscles without adding additional calories is an almost magical effect glutamine gives you.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
glutamine can create a hyper-glycogen storage environment within muscle, but it also increases whole-body glycogen synthesis when used with glucose so I add small amounts of karbolyn with it .

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm glad to see that I'm taking an average amount.. those days I'm low and end up taking 75-100g I do feel bad because I know I didn't eat right that day if I'm having to take that much.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Im a bit obnoxious I say ATLEAST 150gms of protein from protein powder ...if not more.

For a few reasons.... I am keto and I fast. So both means I need my protein. I fast which means I eat 1-2 times a day so there is no way I will get 300+gms protein a day from whole food sources. And protein powder is tasty as heck and I mix it in yogurt, add some flax meal or whatever else I have handy so its not a boring drink. I love my #ProteinSludge
Good to hear, 300+ is a whole hell of a lot. I fast as well, typically just late lunch + dinner, sometimes just dinner, especially on my cheat "day" (meal)

It is definitely tough to get enough when I'm low on calories and only once or twice a day, but I'm only shooting for 220g or so, not 300g+ lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
25-50g whey iso powder and 7-15g collagen powder. only one scoop per shake cuz I use cow milk and raw eggs too. my second scoop is usually in pancakes so it doesn't really feel like drinking a shake
What's the collagen for? Skin/hair?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm glad to see that I'm taking an average amount.. those days I'm low and end up taking 75-100g I do feel bad because I know I didn't eat right that day if I'm having to take that much.
Yeah don’t feel bad. For the last two weeks I was having 150 grams from powder and 40 grams from two protein bars a day. Do the best you can and try to hit your protein intake in the way that best fits your lifestyle.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah don’t feel bad. For the last two weeks I was having 150 grams from powder and 40 grams from two protein bars a day. Do the best you can and try to hit your protein intake in the way that best fits your lifestyle.
Agreed with this. Everyone has a different schedule, appetite, finance, etc so however you can make it would and get in your numbers will be the best for you.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Don’t tell me that.. I’ll start getting protein bars for every meal instead lol but really there are cheat “days” where I fast and eat once, so I have to get 100-150g in powder since I ate pizza or something. But my appetite gets out of control if I eat before lunch, so it’s either a couple shakes to try and satisfy it, or I’m having extra shakes at night to fill the leftover calories and protein from only eating 1-2 times.

lamarclark09

Awards
No, I am not using supplements for protein. I take the protein from daily food such as eggs, meat, fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I fast and eat Keto. I eat two meals a day sometimes one meal. Usually 12 noon and around 5:30 p.m.... on the days I only have one meal it's around 5:30 p.m so I require a decent amount of protein powder daily, usually as protein sludge (in Greek yogurt) with my meals. I get easily 150+gm a day of protein from whey protein powders etc and another 150gm+ from whole food.

Sometimes I go overboard on my protein sludge because it's so tasty and just one cup of sludge will be 150gms of protein if not more. Lol

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Old thread but for the first time in a long time I've been getting all my protein easily. I have a post workout protein shake usually about halfway through my workout. Collagen in coffee every morning and at night been mixing the powdered protein into stuff so that's like 10-20g with only 2g of fat.

Probably around 59-80g of supplemented protein on top of meat.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
42g supplemented out of an average of 210-255g (goal is 210).

One post workout shake (24g), and enough to flavor my oats an hour later (18g).

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any one use colostrum or plasma protein? I’m
About to order some beef plasma protein to replace my whey

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Usually about 40 grams for me. Sometimes if my day/diet prohibits me from consuming enough via food I will up it. Sometimes if I have enough protein from food I won't supplement any at all. There is no magic number which is why it is called a supplement. It should always vary depending on your diet. 150 grams sounds like an awful lot to supplement with regularly to me but everyone is different.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
15g EV Coconut Oil
15g Amish Butter
32g Natural PB(peanuts and salt ONLY)
3 scoops protein powder and I make a "cookie dough" like mix with this. Basically sludge but FAR LESS WATER.

This gets done twice a day. I also eat about a lb of meat at night or a dozen eggs. 15g of psyllium and 20g collagen per day as well.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yaah I go thew a lb almost of meat at night then a shake before bed .