how much fish oil do you need daily??

Birdsizzle

Awards
Why is everyone taking such high doses of fish oil?ADA and WHO recommendations are made for a reason. These organizations have made recommendations based on scientific research, reviews of past and present research, and recommendations for further necessary research on this topic. Some of you seem to take the word of one self proclaimed guru. I admit to not really knowing anything about Charles, his education background, training principles or otherwise. I do know that there is a wealth of information to be found in Peer reviewed journals whose contents I would be much more willing to believe and trust than the contents of book written to sell. For what its worth, I would seek out more than one source of information before I put an excess of anything in my body. You only get one afterall....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is everyone taking such high doses of fish oil?ADA and WHO recommendations are made for a reason. These organizations have made recommendations based on scientific research, reviews of past and present research, and recommendations for further necessary research on this topic. Some of you seem to take the word of one self proclaimed guru. I admit to not really knowing anything about Charles, his education background, training principles or otherwise. I do know that there is a wealth of information to be found in Peer reviewed journals whose contents I would be much more willing to believe and trust than the contents of book written to sell. For what its worth, I would seek out more than one source of information before I put an excess of anything in my body. You only get one afterall....
Then pretty much that would mean not taking any supplements at all... For me at least, this is a short term experiment, not a life change. The other thing to remember is that those long term large peer reviewed studies only get done at great cost. With something as prevalent and relatively inexpensive as fish oil, who would pay the $50,000 - 100,000 to do a test? with it not being a patentable product, there is no one who stands to gain from funding such a project.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
And those dosages are for regular people. People on theres boards aint regular!:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :burger: :hot:

2RIIPPED

Awards
i tried taking a few pills a day and started burping up fish oil. it was NASTY. i'm super reluctant to do it again. something about tasting sardines all day makes me gag.
Buy the enteric coated ones.

Personally I've done about 5 grams a day and I would wake up so early in the morning and would be wide awake. It inflamed my stomach.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
i tried taking a few pills a day and started burping up fish oil. it was NASTY. i'm super reluctant to do it again. something about tasting sardines all day makes me gag.
That's because you're using an inexpensive brand. Better quality, pharmaceutical grade oils (Nordic Naturals, NutraSea, Carlson Labs) don't taste fishy.

Redeemer

Awards
Fish oil is good and bad news. 19g/day is too much IMO because A) there is the possibility of getting mercury in some fish oil, as there is with oily fish (mackerel, swordfish). Also, you get too high a dose of Vitamin A, which is NOT water soluble, and thus can build to dagerous levels (Like Vitamin E, it doesn't wash out of your system like most other vitamins). A better bet would be 2-5g of Fish oil and a tablespoon (or more) of Flax, Borage, or Evening Primrose oil.

Are you sure this is accurate? I was under the impression that fish liver oils contained vitamin A, but not fish body oils which is what most standard "fish oil" do not.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mine does not state any vitamin a content on its label (body oil)

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure this is accurate? I was under the impression that fish liver oils contained vitamin A, but not fish body oils which is what most standard "fish oil" do not.
Only liver oil and other liver products contain Vitamin A

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
so fish oil is different/better than flax oil????

i need more...should get fish oil i guess..

phats

hows this
[

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not supposed to link to other stores besides nutraplanet, but the Udos is supposed to be nice stuff.

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
SORRY, EDITED..

thanks for the reply....SO THE UDOS WOULD BE MORE BENEFITIAL THAN REG FLAX OIL??

PHATS

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never tried it, but i've heard other people say good things about it. this is all fairly uncharted or at least undercharted territory :) It is nice that its an omega 3/6/9 combo

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
i had picked up a bottle of GNC's "Double Strength Fish Body Oil"....

It contains 360mg of EPA and 240mg of DHA per capsule.... I am not trying to go extreme with the oils... i merely would like to determine how much is necessary for a average bodybuilder.

I have read article after article about MEGA dosing and article after article about fish oil for people who are NOT working out...

So for someone, such as myself.. who is an avid gym-o-holic... and who tries to maintain a healthy, Pro-Anabolic state in my body... and i'm trying to add LEAN mass... WHAT WOULD THE CONCENSUS HERE SAY IS THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF EFA's/DHA's ONE SHOULD TAKE!?

And i assume its best to split up whatever dosage we determine in equal portions throughout the day....?

I appreciate the feedback...