Unanswered How much cardio on gear?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do 10 minutes on stairs on level 12 (out of 20) 4-5 times a week depending on how heavy my leg day is. Sometimes I throw 5-10 more minutes in at the end of my workout. I get my heart rate up around 150-160 bpm. What’re your thoughts on this?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are your goals? If aiming for fat loss, id cut back on the stairs and add some LISS cardio, 30-40 minutes at a time.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah bro I’m bulking. Stuck around 180lbs.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Then id cut back on cardio altogether. 20-30mins 3x’s a week is usually good for hearth health, conditioning and helping stay lean while bulking.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah bro I’m bulking. Stuck around 180lbs.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Your probably only burning about 200 -220 calories at 10 to 15 minutes at that level. 1 lb is 3500 calories. You should still be doing cardio. Just fucking eat more. That amount of cardio is not going to cause you to get stuck. It’s the nutrition plus whether I’m bulking or cutting I still do cardio the only thing that changes is intensity.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Your probably only burning about 200 -220 calories at 10 to 15 minutes at that level. 1 lb is 3500 calories. You should still be doing cardio. Just fucking eat more. That amount of cardio is not going to cause you to get stuck. It’s the nutrition plus whether I’m bulking or cutting I still do cardio the only thing that changes is intensity.
My workouts are very intense as well. I beat the hell out of myself within the least time possible. If I don’t have a lot of time then it’s lots of heavy sets. Like tonight was lots of DB incline 6/10, heavy leg extensions 5/8, heavy leg press 5/8, BFR leg extensions 30/3, flies 15/6.
All this in an hour.
I’m getting stronger but not sure if I’m still growing. 3,700-4,000cal per day but I’m not sure if I should ride the 4,000cal per day out more consistently or up the calories more. Either way, just want to keep my heart good while on cycle.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My workouts are very intense as well. I beat the hell out of myself within the least time possible. If I don’t have a lot of time then it’s lots of heavy sets. Like tonight was lots of DB incline 6/10, heavy leg extensions 5/8, heavy leg press 5/8, BFR leg extensions 30/3, flies 15/6.
All this in an hour.
I’m getting stronger but not sure if I’m still growing. 3,700-4,000cal per day but I’m not sure if I should ride the 4,000cal per day out more consistently or up the calories more. Either way, just want to keep my heart good while on cycle.
My workouts are intense as well and I keep very little rest between sets. I also do cardio 4 times a week and I have a job where I walk 10 miles a day. When I bulk I still do cardio just to keep fat off my mid section so when I cut it’s not as brutal. It’s all preference. Just up your calories 500 as a starting point. Healthy fats peanut butter and avacodo are my go to. Try starting your day with a cup of oats two big spoon so of peanut butter and smash a banana up in it plus what you normally eat. Of course these are just suggestions.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
ANYONE can add 2tbsp of olive oil onto a meal for an extra 280 heart healthy food calories if needed.

Do as much cardio as you need to reach the goals you want, but in general more is better for you.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I agree with he posts above... on cycle your body is going is naturally going to be far more efficient with its calorie usage so eating more is going to be necessary to gain... cardio is only going to help with body comp so unless you truly don't care about gaining fat (i.e. just wanna gain as much WEIGHT as you can), keep the cardio (and I would even go so far as to say do as much as you can - it will only help with other body functions, digestion, recovery, etc).

If you can't gain, the problem is not enough calories... as @Hyde said, oils will be your best friends. heart healthy, super low volume/cals (so nobody can complain about "oooohhhh noooo more food") and generally easy to include in shakes or cooked meals.