How much BCAA to counteract not enough protein

redeye43

Awards
I have been struggling with appetite lately and was wondering how many grams of BCAA would be sufficient in making up for the lack of protein?

I shoot for 250 because I am cutting but often barely reach 200 grams total I've been using BCAAs to fill the gap but am unsure on what number to shoot for. I have a stockpile of MOdern BCAA and it is very easy for me to drink as opposed to real food lately

I know it is not ideal but it is what it is

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Honestly dude if your I doubt think you need to try and compensate. 200gs is a solid number imo, and a bcaa supplement obviously doesn't have the rest of the aminos, so taking excessive amounts of bcaas wouldn't really compensate for the lack of protein because your probably already flooded with bcaas. So I think as long as you get something like 5-12gs post work out of bcaas you'll be alright.

redeye43

Awards
Honestly dude if your I doubt think you need to try and compensate. 200gs is a solid number imo, and a bcaa supplement obviously doesn't have the rest of the aminos, so taking excessive amounts of bcaas wouldn't really compensate for the lack of protein because your probably already flooded with bcaas. So I think as long as you get something like 5-12gs post work out of bcaas you'll be alright.
I like to get 1.5g per pound when cutting which is why I want to be as close to 250g total

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Makes sense! I guess if you supplemented a variety of aminos you'd be taking care of your protein intake, but you might as well just drink more whey or eat more...

Reactions: Nac
supadupastar

supadupastar

Awards
2g per lbs is what you should aim for. If you dont see yourself hitting your proteins the easiest for me is a proteinbar. That gives about 22g easy. If you have a hard time with eating try anabeta elite, that stuff makes you hungry.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I like to buy plain Greek yogurt and put protein powder in it so it adds flavor and macros

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look into syntrax nectar protein. Best flavored isolate. I know peeps dislike the company, but I don't care about politics, they got the best tasting whey isolates imo.

It'll give you all you essential and non essential amino's.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
"Muscle Loss" is soooooooooooooo over-worried about. 2g per pound?! - as in weight on the scale that includes fat, water, organs, and bone? Good lord. At 165lbs, you'd be fine at 120g (1.6g/kg). 1.8g/kg (Menno Henselman) is 135g, and Eric Helm's "Bodybuilder in prep getting to ~5% body fat" recco is 2.4g/kg or 187 grams.

But to answer your question - Churchward-Venne showed that 6g of Whey, bolstered by 5g of Leucine, had the same MPS as 25g of Whey. Now, MPS isn't the be all, end all, and doesn't translate 1 to 1 into adding muscle. And I'd go EAA over BCAA any day, if for some reason you can't eat food or drink Casein/Whey.

BTW, at 6' 0.5", around 215 lbs - I did a "true" Keto diet measuring blood BhB: I needed to drop to under 70g of protein a day to get above 0.5mmol/l: I didn't lose anything I could measure as far as muscle goes.

Muscle loss... hehehehehehehe :D

"If you train it, it will stay" - 'Field of Dreams Gym'

APC80

APC80

Awards
I like to get 1.5g per pound when cutting which is why I want to be as close to 250g total
1.5 is a bit of overkill. 0.6g/lb is enough when bulking, 1g/lb is plenty for cutting. You can go to 1.2 but there's really no need to go higher than that. If it's you're personal preference to eat 1.5g/lb for satiety or the thermogenic benefits then work away but don't stress about it.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2g per lbs is what you should aim for. If you dont see yourself hitting your proteins the easiest for me is a proteinbar. That gives about 22g easy. If you have a hard time with eating try anabeta elite, that stuff makes you hungry.
Agreed with this. ABE would be a great addition to add in and is an awesome natty product which will help you increase appetite. Then you should definitely have some hunger for more protein powder or more whole food.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been struggling with appetite lately and was wondering how many grams of BCAA would be sufficient in making up for the lack of protein?

I shoot for 250 because I am cutting but often barely reach 200 grams total I've been using BCAAs to fill the gap but am unsure on what number to shoot for. I have a stockpile of MOdern BCAA and it is very easy for me to drink as opposed to real food lately

I know it is not ideal but it is what it is
Unless you're starving yourself, you won't see muscle loss on even .8g of protein per lb of body weight. .6g is roughly our minimum.

Protein needs, always overblown.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
"Muscle Loss" is soooooooooooooo over-worried about. 2g per pound?! - as in weight on the scale that includes fat, water, organs, and bone? Good lord. At 165lbs, you'd be fine at 120g (1.6g/kg). 1.8g/kg (Menno Henselman) is 135g, and Eric Helm's "Bodybuilder in prep getting to ~5% body fat" recco is 2.4g/kg or 187 grams.

But to answer your question - Churchward-Venne showed that 6g of Whey, bolstered by 5g of Leucine, had the same MPS as 25g of Whey. Now, MPS isn't the be all, end all, and doesn't translate 1 to 1 into adding muscle. And I'd go EAA over BCAA any day, if for some reason you can't eat food or drink Casein/Whey.

BTW, at 6' 0.5", around 215 lbs - I did a "true" Keto diet measuring blood BhB: I needed to drop to under 70g of protein a day to get above 0.5mmol/l: I didn't lose anything I could measure as far as muscle goes.

Muscle loss... hehehehehehehe :D

"If you train it, it will stay" - 'Field of Dreams Gym'
This is what I was going to say, if you can preserve muscle on a true Keto diet, you should be fine with getting just a small amount of protein some days.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've also been having trouble eating recently not sure why....I'd be more concerned with the calories than the overall protein

someone mentioned yogurt mixed with protein powder....I find when I'm having trouble putting down food that tends to be dry that something like a yogurt makes eating a lot easier, if you don't enjoy protein powder you could grab a flavored greek yogurt

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 236 lbs at 16.5 % BF and I only need about 180 grams protein a day to maintain Muscle mass

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I am 236 lbs at 16.5 % BF and I only need about 180 grams protein a day to maintain Muscle mass
Yup - that's in there, between 1.6 and 1.8g/kg :thumbsup:

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yup - that's in there, between 1.6 and 1.8g/kg :thumbsup:
I'm in this camp too. I get 160-180 grams a day just by eating 3 balanced meals with 50-60g per meal and I weigh 100kg. I lose muscle by not training it, not by "not enough protein".

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't even eat protein!