How long should i not train??

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so i may have gotten into a fight, and busted up my rib pretty good. Thinking it was just a bruised rib i kept lifting heavy as always. Which actually made it worse, and possibly stress fractured it, now it hurts to breathe, blah blah blah. Can't afford a doctor or time off work to see one.

The pain isn't really that bad until later at night when im exhausted or until i try to lift chest, arms back... the upper body works.. i can deal with the pain, but how long should i go without training once the pain is gone? This is new to me, more than a hurt muscle or wrist or knee thing.

Just curious if anyone had some advice out there

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
dont train till it stops hurting.....

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
well yeah, but i have been told you should wait a certain amount of time once it stops hurting to let it heal 100% so that it doesnt get hurt again. Just dont know how long...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
well yeah, but i have been told you should wait a certain amount of time once it stops hurting to let it heal 100% so that it doesnt get hurt again. Just dont know how long...
You should consult an internal med doctor or orthopedist.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
i dunno about all that bullshiz....i dont think there is some set amount of time you have to wait after an injury stops hurting....i would just wait till your comfortable (pain free) and then ease back into the swing of things take a week or so of light workout before you start going heavy....

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
You should consult an internal med doctor or orthopedist.
nothing they can do for a broken rib....hell they dont even tape em anymore....and if he punctured a lung or something he would know it....life without insurance sucks!!!!! ive been there bro....

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
i dunno about all that bullshiz....i dont think there is some set amount of time you have to wait after an injury stops hurting....i would just wait till your comfortable (pain free) and then ease back into the swing of things take a week or so of light workout before you start going heavy....
Kinda figured that... I'm just gonna go with that and see how it goes. I'll be sure to let you guys know if i full on snap a rib... :D lol

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
nothing they can do for a broken rib....hell they dont even tape em anymore....and if he punctured a lung or something he would know it....life without insurance sucks!!!!! ive been there bro....
I didn't refer to that for health services, simply for advice.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I didn't refer to that for health services, simply for advice.
No worries bro, i asked a friend of mine going to med school. She said to give it a week after pain is gone before i hit the weights real hard, but to casually train once it stops hurting.

But just in med school, im open for any tips or tricks from any one in the medical field here.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
However he might not realize if he has internal bleeding.... You know you're probably OK, but sometimes it pays to be cautious. Healing time of stress fractures depends on the condition of the bone. Read this article to learn how to help increase the healing.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
However he might not realize if he has internal bleeding.... You know you're probably OK, but sometimes it pays to be cautious. Healing time of stress fractures depends on the condition of the bone. Read this article to learn how to help increase the healing.
Thanks for the Link!

If there was internal bleeding would it show as a bruise? Given that the ribs are so close to the skin?/ cause there was a bruise, but its gone. Just pain left.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Thanks for the Link!

If there was internal bleeding would it show as a bruise? Given that the ribs are so close to the skin?/ cause there was a bruise, but its gone. Just pain left.
Depends where it's bleeding into so you might get abdominal bruising, you might also see blood in the urine/tarry coloured stools or some swelling of the abdomen. You're probably safe, considering the pain was going down just a thing to keep in mind. If things do go downhill, obviously check into the hospital tho

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, no serious signs of injury. I hate going to the doc for minor pain cause i can't take any of the painkillers they want to give me. Allergies to almost all of em.

I'd just like to be able to cough, or laugh hard, or inhale before a squat again.