how is everybody testing bodyfat?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
does everybody just use that 3 point method? tia for any constructive thoughts...

Last edited:

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
i like the 8 point check that way you get all points........ dont have a link though sorry

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I have used the 3-point, but I know its not accurate for me. I just happen to be more lean in the 3 spots than other spots. I tested out to 8.3% when I know was at least 10%. The 7-pt test is much more accurate.

I attached a bodyfat calculator template I put together that will calculate both the 3-point & 7-point methods. Just type in the measurements & your age, the formulas are already in there.

jamesbrosky

Awards
my eletronic scale in my bathroom also measures my BF% by an electrical impulse. Its accurate enough for me.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I always use the "parillo formula" for measurements. I'll try to find a link in the meantime... What I have is in a book..

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I have a tanita scale too. It usually says I am between 18%-21%, then the calipers say around 10%. Real accurate. It is total garbage IMO. It uses those stupid bodyfat formulas based on your height & weight. I am 221 at 6ft. I am sure most people with those stats are 20+% bf, thats why it reads that way.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
I use an electronic BF analyzer and calipers, and the calipers always measure lower. Looking in the mirror, I do not think either of them are right (for me, anyway). My guess is that the "real" number is somewhere in the middle.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
With an abacus :D

Seriously though, I use the calipers. It's close enough for me.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
the electronic things REALLY test conductivity aka water. hydration really changes the readings drastically. thanks for all the comments dudes.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
the electronic things REALLY test conductivity aka water. hydration really changes the readings drastically. thanks for all the comments dudes.
That is correct--and the reason electronic BF measurements should be made each time under the same conditions. As I understand it, the most consistent condition is first thing in the morning after draining your bladder and before drinking anything.