How do you guys deal with sugar cravings?

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards
Alright guys,

Title says it all!

We all know or have been through contest prep before, and I'm sure have stumbled upon that crazy sugar craving that you get at certain points..

Curious to know how everyone deals with it differently? Or what you have/eat to curb those cravings?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I honestly don't get many, however...

Diet soda
Diet jelly
Strawberries
Blueberries

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards
I honestly don't get many, however...

Diet soda
Diet jelly
Strawberries
Blueberries
Diet soda is a must for me when I get them..

However, I'm not so sure about fruits during contest prep? Although I know there are mixed opinions on this one

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet soda is a must for me when I get them..

However, I'm not so sure about fruits during contest prep? Although I know there are mixed opinions on this one
Strawberries/Blueberries sugar content is pretty low, and timing. 100g of strawberries has 33 calories.

Actually I like Soda Water ? ? ?

I eat diet Jelly if I'm hungry to fill myself up after a meal and feel like I've had something sweet. I actually like it tho!

SR1991

SR1991

Awards
Yes diet sodas are a good cure for me as well. I also make a shake in my first meal of the day with my egg whites and oats using an Apple Jacks Cereal flavored protein powder. It's pretty sweet and helps with the cravings as well

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't have a craving for sugar, but my cravings for salt finally stopped when I started intermittent fasting.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Diet Soda
Berries
FIBER Supplement. I always pimp Fiber Supps because I feel they help keep me full and keep my cravings in check

pizzadrol

pizzadrol

Awards
Diet Dr Pepper and ephedrine. Melanotan in small doses also shuts my cravings down but I feel flat while using it so I wouldn't advise it super close to the show (I think it converts my food cravings to sexual cravings lol)

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Water & fiber
Lots of diet pop
Sugar free gum
Sugar fee jello

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Protein shake! The 30 calorie Almond Milk,ice protein powder and a little almond butter!

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
Starbucks iced coffee with sugar free mocha and a splash of almond milk!

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Sugar cravings arise from poor gut health, and maybe address that. When you cut sugar out of your diet completely (as close as possible) you have less cravings for it. That is a direct response to gut health and the bad bacteria therein. The cravings are coming from them.

This is why I have invested in GÜTHEALTH by Evomuse.

Is eating behavior manipulated by the gastrointestinal microbiota? Evolutionary pressures and potential mechanisms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270213/

Dietary sugars: their detection by the gut–brain axis and their peripheral and central effects in health and diseases
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303703/
Thanks for the info. Great post.

nakedear

nakedear

Awards
I really don't get cravings because I don't cut out carbs entirely. It works for some people, but for me it doesn't. I do go fairly low towards the last few weeks and to offset any possible cravings I just mix my preworkout into sugar free jello. That way, before every workout I get to have something sweet!!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely some great ideas in here

I have a bottle of cinnamon sticks by my bed. When I get really hungry I suck on these.

swolevaro

Awards
I usually eat a spoonful of honey, it's so sweet that it quenches my cravings for a long time.

-SA
---
Phil Heath Livestream - Tuesday and Thursday - goo.gl/QcixQc

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would make sweet potato type chips, sliced thin, baked in the oven and cinnamon powder sprinkled on top

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would make sweet potato type chips, sliced thin, baked in the oven and cinnamon powder sprinkled on top
Never tried them. I Imagine theyre good.

I used to cut sweet potatoes up , put ib a bag , with salt, pepper and olive oil, swish around, put on sheet, then cook. Haven't done it in a while though. Its a decent recipe in place of fries

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hmm, that sounds good as well

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wow this is old but one that has been known to work well and did for me was to put a tiny dab of toothpaste on the center of your tongue, I am not sure why but it seems to satisfy the craving.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
Wow this is old but one that has been known to work well and did for me was to put a tiny dab of toothpaste on the center of your tongue, I am not sure why but it seems to satisfy the craving.
Unless you crave toothpaste, this just seems like a way to avoid a craving....#moderation

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Slam down 2 slinmax and eat whatever you like ???????
And wake up leaner lol ?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Unless you crave toothpaste, this just seems like a way to avoid a craving....#moderation
Way to be dismissive!

Avoiding / dealing with sugar cravings was the subject of the thread. It works for everyone who told me about it and everyone I have told. Besides during a contest prep #moderation is just ridiculous to suggest... this isn't a general nutrition thread. You have specific macros and specific sugar allowances during prep...

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
Way to be dismissive!

Avoiding / dealing with sugar cravings was the subject of the thread. It works for everyone who told me about it and everyone I have told. Besides during a contest prep #moderation is just ridiculous to suggest... this isn't a general nutrition thread. You have specific macros and specific sugar allowances during prep...
its a forum thread where people are free to post their opinions....so I kind of see your view more dismissive than mine. I've seen plenty of guys fit food in during their prep that find less volume but better taste for a certain craving is better for them than putting a dab of toothpaste on their tongue...

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wish i can answer this .. but im horrible ...ill go 3-4 days then its off to energy drinks and gummy bears

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
its a forum thread where people are free to post their opinions....so I kind of see your view more dismissive than mine. I've seen plenty of guys fit food in during their prep that find less volume but better taste for a certain craving is better for them than putting a dab of toothpaste on their tongue...
I agree and you posted yours in a dismissive manner... it's also a forum where I can respond saying so.

Now that we are done with that we can talk about the subject objectively.

Depends on the diet, obviously if needing to deal with the cravings the sugar isn't allowed in that plan. If it isn't allowed then moderate use is still unacceptable. As far as being better for you than a tiny dab of toothpaste, not sure how that is relevant since oral contact with toothpaste is not considered unhealthy. Certainly no more or less healthy than sugar substitutes. Obviously there is room for moving things around within macros, meal timing and what not in a prep. However, if the macros do not allow for it like a keto diet then you just don't do it and a trick like this can help. It tells the brain you just had sweets and the craving goes away. Something to help maintain strict adherence to the diet was the point of my response and is what I assumed was the reason the OP asked.

yokedup

yokedup

Awards
Walden farms ! But that stuff might back you up if you have too much of it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
more protein in general every two hours. Like today after I trained hard, heavy and intense, as im going through an intense phase, which i only do for six weeks tops, I had 50 grams whey, 70 grans simple carbs post training, an hour later 50 grams protein, 15 fat, lean beef, then two hours later 50 grams proein from lean beef again. That kept me satisfied

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
Walden farms ! But that stuff might back you up if you have too much of it.
Blehhh. Only good things is some of the syrups and coffee creamers, other than that, they're battery acid.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I really don't get cravings because I don't cut out carbs entirely. It works for some people, but for me it doesn't. I do go fairly low towards the last few weeks and to offset any possible cravings I just mix my preworkout into sugar free jello. That way, before every workout I get to have something sweet!!!
What do you keep your carb intake at per day and on your high carb days how many carbs do you take in? Also how many weeks out does your coach have you cut out carbs completely? Also whats your protein and fat intake set at on high carb days?

DemonDevster

Awards
I know this is a year later but i have a weakness for chocolate and grenade just brought out carb killer chocolate spread with 0 sugar in its amazing!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
having a higher fat meal with protein of course untill the next feeding

Captain_Action

Awards
Ephedrine/caffeine 2 on 2 off
Loads of fiber
Loads of sweetened water, like 6L/day
Eating every 2 hours even if it means cutting my normal meals in half and eating twice as often.

I love that toothpaste idea. I’m gonna try that.

Lucy27

Awards
Diet Dr Pepper and ephedrine. Melanotan in small doses also shuts my cravings down but I feel flat while using it so I wouldn't advise it super close to the show (I think it converts my food cravings to sexual cravings lol)
Where do you get ephedrine?