HMB doesn't work and the science is nonsense - proof inside

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for posting that, ive been trying to find it after seeing Mennos post on it.

I personally feel a difference in recovery when using HMB-Fa and not, but im looking forward to reading this.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for posting that, ive been trying to find it after seeing Mennos post on it.

I personally feel a difference in recovery when using HMB-Fa and not, but im looking forward to reading this.

ok...it may do SOMETHING, but not a fraction of what is claimed.

Know what actually does work and has thousands of repeatable studies behind it? Leucine.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
View attachment 146369

why is ANYONE using this stuff?
For a second, I thought you were gonna 'dis HMB-Ca! :D (Note, that *it* gets some credit in the body of the letter).

Nice post Vaughn - those are the heaviest hitters in the research industry.

I've long since decided Wilson's work is questionable to say the least.

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
Hmb is legit. The calcium salt. But the magic is in the training. It really shines in overreaching.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Hmb is legit. The calcium salt. But the magic is in the training. It really shines in overreaching.
Ca is, FA is not - people need to be really clear when typing the letters HMB, IMO... LOL

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ca is, FA is not - people need to be really clear when typing the letters HMB, IMO... LOL
do the studies behind HMB-Ca look as comical as the FA ones? I honestly haven't read up on them in some time

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
do the studies behind HMB-Ca look as comical as the FA ones? I honestly haven't read up on them in some time
Brosef, just type: HMB Suppversity into Google, and you'll get 3, 4, 5 non-industry related studies showing it's worth the ~$50 per year to use it :D

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Know what actually does work and has thousands of repeatable studies behind it? Leucine.
I have read of people megadosing leucine, how much do you take before your workout and after.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I have read of people megadosing leucine, how much do you take before your workout and after.
Mega dosing Leucine is a waste. You need about 3g (5g max if you want to err) per protein feeding. There should be about a 3-5 hour delay before your next protein feeding. More doesn't help. Also, if you are going to use supplemental Leucine, make sure you subtract the Leucine that is already in your Casein/Whey/Beef/Egg/Chicken/Fish, etc...

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mega dosing Leucine is a waste. You need about 3g (5g max if you want to err) per protein feeding. There should be about a 3-5 hour delay before your next protein feeding. More doesn't help. Also, if you are going to use supplemental Leucine, make sure you subtract the Leucine that is already in your Casein/Whey/Beef/Egg/Chicken/Fish, etc...
What about ecdysteroids, do they work at all.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
What about ecdysteroids, do they work at all.
Define "work"? I bought what could be considered the highest quality Rhaponticum product - consumed it with Tart Cherry Juice (itself proven to aid recovery), and noticed a small to medium improvement in recovery from workouts I had been doing for months. When I switched to entirely new exercises, it did absolutely nothing - DOMS out the azz for a few workouts. Didn't re-purchase.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Always interested in reading solid information

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In before "feels like deca."

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Interested to know which group you think HICA would reside ?

Something: Leucine / HMB-Ca
or
Nothing: HMB

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
surprising someone messed misrepresented numbers to further their pocket. never happens in the supplement industry ever....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Wilsons research is ALWAYS overwhelmingly positive. Very skeptical that he doesn't fabricate claims

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Brosef, just type: HMB Suppversity into Google, and you'll get 3, 4, 5 non-industry related studies showing it's worth the ~$50 per year to use it :D
This. There is research on it that doesn't raise the same concerns as the HMB-FA studies, and at $50/year (under $5/month, or $0.14/day), it's a cheap enough addition.

There's also a recent rat study that found that "HMB forestalled the effects of aging on the dendritic tree of this population of neurons."
In both healthy aging humans and rat models, there are cognitive deficits associated with age-related dendritic shrinkage within the prefrontal cortex...

As expected, there were fewer spines and a retraction of dendritic material in the apical and basilar trees in old age controls of both sexes compared with their middle-aged counterparts. However, these losses did not occur in the HMB-treated rats in either dendrites or the total number of dendritic spines.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26973106/?i=8&from=beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate

The study used 450mg/kg, which isn't an unachievable dose when converted (5.4g for a 75kg person).

Now, it's not something that seems like it would improve cognition in healthy young adults, but it is rather interesting, and makes HMB an even more promising supplement as we age, and even as a generally healthy supplement to help us essentially stay younger loner.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Well, I've read the whole PDF, but I missed the part where they proved it doesn't work.

The letter only asks for clarification and, yes, the author do doubt the amount of gains, but they don't (and can't) say it doesn't work and have conducted no similar experiment on the ingredient.
A Clarification Letter doesn't prove anything, and doesn't intend to.

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
HMB/leucine is such a scam! If you search for it on pubmed/ncbi, there's zero studies that say it's effective. Same at the examine website. I am going to visit that supversity link someone mentioned but yeah so far it's definitely a waste. Money is better spent on food.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HMB/leucine is such a scam! If you search for it on pubmed/ncbi, there's zero studies that say it's effective. Same at the examine website. I am going to visit that supversity link someone mentioned but yeah so far it's definitely a waste. Money is better spent on food.
Wait, who is saying that leucine is a scam? There are plenty of studies showing the benefits of leucine. Of course, there's no point in taking leucine with a meal already high in protein and leucine, but it does have benefits under certain conditions. Also, as The_Old_Guy mentioned, HMB-CA has some studies that don't bring up the same concerns as the HMB-FA studies.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's some studies on CaHMB:
In summary, CR and HMB can increase LBM and strength, and the effects are additive
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11448573
HMB supplementation was associated
with greater increases in muscle mass, muscle strength and
anaerobic properties with no effect on aerobic capacity
suggesting some advantage for its use in elite adolescent
volleyball players during the initial phases of the training
season. These effects were not accompanied by hormonal
and inflammatory mediator changes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21327797
In previously trained men,
supplementation of HMB in conjunction with resistance training
provides a substantial benefit to lower-body strength, but it has
negligible effects on body composition.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387396
. These data suggested that 27 HMB in combination with 12 weeks of RT decreased AFM in elderly men
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272624772_b-hydroxy-b-methylbutyrate_HMB_Supplementation_and_Resistance_Exercise_Significantly_Reduce_Abdominal_Adiposity_in_Healthy_Elderly_Men
The results indicate that supplying HMB promotes advantageous changes in
body composition and stimulates an increase in aerobic capacity, while seeming not to
significantly affect the levels of the analyzed blood markers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26849784
In conclusion, a nutritional supplement containing 1.5 g of calcium HMB for 8 weeks in healthy elderly women had no significant effects on SPPB, but did significantly improve several muscle strength and physical performance parameters.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4631374/
In conclusion, the objective data collected across nine experiments indicate that HMB can be taken safely as an ergogenic aid for exercise and that objective measures of health and perception of well-being are generally enhanced.
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/8/1937.long

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you should search for it yourself. Or read the links just posted above

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you should search for it yourself. Or read the links just posted above
Ok so it "works" for volleyball players and old ladies and provides "trivial" strength gains but has no effect on body composition. I mean it works but not to an extent that's worth it. Especially for healthy males that have been resistance training and living the bodybuilding lifestyle for a while it's not going to do anything. Waste of money. Also wayyyyy too many uncontrollable factors that could've contributed to the tiny results those studies showed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure if you are being sarcastic...
So after I subtract those food products (which I cannot actually calculate the exact anount of lucine contained) and if I have a number "zero" I must not need any supplemental then?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Not sure if you are being sarcastic...
So after I subtract those food products (which I cannot actually calculate the exact anount of lucine contained) and if I have a number "zero" I must not need any supplemental then?
Huh? Very loosely a scoop of Whey has like 2g, and Casein has 1.5g. 8oz of Milk has 1g etc... If one were going to add Leucine it would be a waste to add 5g to 2 scoops of Whey in Milk. Thats what I was trying to relay.As faras I can recall, both Norton and Phillips say no more than 5g per 'feeding' is needed (and thats for really big dudes).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Huh? Very loosely a scoop of Whey has like 2g, and Casein has 1.5g. 8oz of Milk has 1g etc... If one were going to add Leucine it would be a waste to add 5g to 2 scoops of Whey in Milk. Thats what I was trying to relay.As faras I can recall, both Norton and Phillips say no more than 5g per 'feeding' is needed (and thats for really big dudes).
Yep. 5g is plenty to add to meals low in leucine. Less even if some is present

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ok so it "works" for volleyball players and old ladies and provides "trivial" strength gains but has no effect on body composition. I mean it works but not to an extent that's worth it. Especially for healthy males that have been resistance training and living the bodybuilding lifestyle for a while it's not going to do anything. Waste of money. Also wayyyyy too many uncontrollable factors that could've contributed to the tiny results those studies showed.
It's not really for that. Leucine is an mTOR stimulator, meaning that at 5g it maximally activates the cascade responsible for building muscle. It wont add mass without substrate though.

Think of leucine as a project manager, it gets the ball rolling, but wont actually do the work in building the house. Other people/ substrates are there for that

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i understand. I'm good on my Leucine. :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can get it for less than $5/month, it has studies showing some benefits in trained individuals, and it has research suggesting it can also be a longevity-supporting type supplement, as animal research suggests cognitive-protecting effects, and human studies show physical benefits for the elderly. For the price, I think it's worth it, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I wouldn't say it's "useless" by any means though.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Far too many recreational and hobbiest trainers sweating the monutia that might be beneficial in elite highly trained and conditioned full time professional or collegiate athletes. I'll spend my money enjoying a FuFu coffee once a month and get equitable results.

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
Far too many recreational and hobbiest trainers sweating the monutia that might be beneficial in elite highly trained and conditioned full time professional or collegiate athletes. I'll spend my money enjoying a FuFu coffee once a month and get equitable results.
Recent studies PROVE that fufu coffee is 43% more anabolic than hmb, look it up on pubmed, straight facts.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards

BCAAs (I have been really liking the fermented kind) are legit.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Honestly I used to with my original diet coach and looking back what a waste of money. If you ok a good diet and training program with some added protein shakes or BCAA your good. If your on gear then it's definitely a waste of money.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
You can get it for less than $5/month, it has studies showing some benefits in trained individuals, and it has research suggesting it can also be a longevity-supporting type supplement, as animal research suggests cognitive-protecting effects, and human studies show physical benefits for the elderly. For the price, I think it's worth it, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I wouldn't say it's "useless" by any means though.
+1,000,000

The older I get, the more I'm concerned with longevity over performance. I take Creatine for my brain, not my muscles! LOL Since HMB-Ca and Creatine do both, win/win! Phuck Alzheimer's!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea, when you question a post, I go "oh shjt, what did I screw up?!" :D You appear every leap yer or so, LOL.
I'm flattered that you notice but I got nothing on you. I read your stuff all the time. There's only a handful of guys and your on the list.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'm flattered that you notice but I got nothing on you. I read your stuff all the time. There's only a handful of guys and your on the list.
Damn man, thanks! (Thank you Google! :D)

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
Most studies need to be done over and over again to get anything out of them. Anyone remember the creatine study that showed creatine massively increased DHT levels? Like over 50% I think. The first thing I thought was that the creatine used was spiked. But that was it. The study was never followed up again. I think that's a huge find and surprising that it was never followed up. There are too many variables to rely on 1 or 2 studies in a lot of cases.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Never believed in it and for the price of it my god it's a rip off. if it does anything it's very minuscule. Now if it was cheap in bulk like creating or glutamine, I wouldn't mind just throwing it into the mix.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never believed in it and for the price of it my god it's a rip off. if it does anything it's very minuscule. Now if it was cheap in bulk like creating or glutamine, I wouldn't mind just throwing it into the mix.
CaHMB is cheap in bulk; about $50/year. HMB-FA is very expensive, but Ca has studies on it showing some benefits.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
One more recent study (2015):

The efficacy of a β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate supplementation on physical capacity, body composition and biochemical markers in elite rowers: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4518594/

The results indicate that HMB intake in endurance training has an advantageous effect on the increase in aerobic capacity and the reduction of fat mass. It may also stimulate an increase in peak anaerobic power

EricMM

Awards
  • Established

Yeah, they make some crazy claims for it!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Most studies need to be done over and over again to get anything out of them. Anyone remember the creatine study that showed creatine massively increased DHT levels? Like over 50% I think. The first thing I thought was that the creatine used was spiked. But that was it. The study was never followed up again. I think that's a huge find and surprising that it was never followed up. There are too many variables to rely on 1 or 2 studies in a lot of cases.
I absolutely believe this. Lots of anecdotal reports of creatine making kids cranky. Seems pretty common and I would believe that it can impact DHT levels in younger men.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49