Helping GF learn to squat (very long legs)

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Have finally convinced my GF to get under the squat rack and am very happy about.

However, in trying to teach her form I have had difficulties as she has extremely long legs. It seems no matter how I try and show her, her knees track over her toes and she complains about some knee pain.

I will try and get a video of her up, but is there any tips for helping a very lanky person squat?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Wider stance

Hows her ankle mobility?

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Wider stance

Hows her ankle mobility?
She tore her Achilles playing soccer about a year ago. So that side's not great.

I think I need to help her work on hip flexibility. I already have her take a wide stance but perhaps could go wider.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If she needs work on hip mobility, then wide stance will be more difficult.

Working on her knees going out instead of forwards can help obviously. Generating torque and external rotation by squeezing her glutes and screwing the feet into the ground can accomplish that.

Attachments

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I have a feeling working on her hip flexibility will be easier and funner than working on her broken ankle. If you know what I mean... Wink wink

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Try placing a couple nickles (5lb plates) on the floor about shoulder width apart. Have her place her heels on these. This will help her sit back in the squat more and place more emphasis on the quads and lesson the stress on the knees. This technique is a big help for anyone of the tall variety learning to squat properly. Worked for me when I first started and after I learned proper form I no longer needed the "training wheels".

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Devils advocate:
Is she going to compete?
If not, why is it so important that she has to back squat if she has such a problem or is not built for it?
What about goblet squats or hip belt squats?
What about a trap bar lift or suitcases and or standing on blocks to deepen the ROM some?

There is nothing wrong with squatting, but just to say you are squatting for the sake of squatting and if it is hurting, why not find an easier or more user friendly route!?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like Paul's ideas best. It is hard to determine with no vids and other info, but based on what we have so far I'd say she probably needs to work on some ankle mobility. A lot of times I notice with my female clients it isn't necessarily hip mobility that is causing them depth issues, it is core stability limiting them (if you put them on the ground or braced they suddenly have no issue reaching optimal hip flexion).

If you really want to squat I'd regress it down to Goblet Squats to learn the groove and help enforce how to brace the core on a squat. Only move past the Goblets once she really is killing those. If she still has pain when doing them then it might be time to just forgo squats for now.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Some great advice guys and I appreciate it.

Paul, that may be the direction I head. I told her the other day that maybe she just shouldn't do back squats as its not a "must".

I'll likely head in the direction of goblet squats right now.

Appreciate the feedback.

P.S. That's a great image Sean. Will definitely hang on to that one.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, if she wants to learn to squat, there is nothing wrong with that, but first and foremost, I (personally) wanna have some fun (beating myself up some) and if a W/O is not fun or causes joint pain or aches, it will most likely not end up being a long term thing.

Dan John has a vid (maybe you can google it!?) on goblet squats and I taught a women to do them. She picked them up really quickly and her form was great. It is pretty easy to learn to just drop your torso between your legs doing them. But for the back squat, it does not always transfer with your arms back on a bar and a load on your shoulders. Hip belt squats are great too.
And I can beat the crap out of my legs, hips, back and glutes with a trap bar a few wide blocks to stand up on.

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Strangely enough, I could NOT do them properly at first. I've never been flexible at all and the motion felt awkward to me. Even to this day, when I'm warming up, it doesn't feel natural.

That being said, I tried wide stance zercher squats and it just clicked and I did those with great form and proper depth. Eventually that carried over and I could do back squats properly.

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
Have her stand facing a wall. Have her toes touch the wall. Have her practice that way. Put hands at shoulder level. She will also have to most likely turn her head to the side. This will train her to sit back yet keep her torso upright, and her knees cannot pass her toes.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
we are going to need some pics of her legs to best advise you :)

aceroni

Awards
Have her stand facing a wall. Have her toes touch the wall. Have her practice that way. Put hands at shoulder level. She will also have to most likely turn her head to the side. This will train her to sit back yet keep her torso upright, and her knees cannot pass her toes.
this. Except turning your head to the side is wrong.
Chest and nose should be against the wall, knees will travel back and away.

Except that is to work on t-spine mobility.

If you want to work on sitting back, try starting with box squats.

ShmEEzy

ShmEEzy

Awards
Have finally convinced my GF to get under the squat rack and am very happy about. However, in trying to teach her form I have had difficulties as she has extremely long legs. It seems no matter how I try and show her, her knees track over her toes and she complains about some knee pain. I will try and get a video of her up, but is there any tips for helping a very lanky person squat?

Teach her form with air squats first or pvc pipe