Hamstring & Glute Pain When Deadlifting/Squatting

jg2039

Awards
I have had a recurring issue that has come and gone for the past year. If I back squat or pull from the floor, I get a weird pain in my right glute. It's near the bottom of the glute, or the very top of the hamstring. It's definitely not muscular soreness. It instinctively feels wrong.

There are no visible symptoms, and it does not hurt the next day at all, even if I push myself farther than it feels like I should. However, while I am in a set, it feels wrong enough that I typically stop. I usually do not get injured, even doing stupid things, so something is definitely not right.

I have started doing more hamstring and glute isolation work, on the assumption that perhaps they are just weak in relation to my back and quads. When I had some shoulder pain while benching, I did the same thing with back/rear delt work, and it solved the issue. It dosen't seem to be having the same effect in this case however. It almost seems totally random.

I can still deadlift and squat if I don't go overboard, and I'm also making sure to hit hack squats, rack pulls (pulling from a high position doesn't cause nearly the same level of discomfort) and isolation work to compensate. However, it's not the same thing.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you fix it?

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Sorry I've never had the sensation you are describing. My post leg injuries are typically soft tissue related but not like you are describing. Do you stretch and warm up properly?

jg2039

Awards
Sorry I've never had the sensation you are describing. My post leg injuries are typically soft tissue related but not like you are describing. Do you stretch and warm up properly?
I do warm-up with lighter sets, but I don't stretch before squatting or deadlifting.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Most articles I've read emphasize intense post workout stretches. The pre workout stretches are important but not as much as the post.

Sounds like you might have a right flute too. Most people don't think about it but people should massage their glutes. I foam roll mine to get the post workout tightness out.

jg2039

Awards
Most articles I've read emphasize intense post workout stretches. The pre workout stretches are important but not as much as the post.

Sounds like you might have a right flute too. Most people don't think about it but people should massage their glutes. I foam roll mine to get the post workout tightness out.
Being totally honest, I've neglected mobility work and stretching in general. I'm thinking of incorporating something like the DeFranco Agile 8 to help future proof myself against this kind of stuff.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Being totally honest, I've neglected mobility work and stretching in general. I'm thinking of incorporating something like the DeFranco Agile 8 to help future proof myself against this kind of stuff.
Try it for at least a month and get back to me. I'm curious if that would resolve this issue

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I never stretched before either for years. I never start stretching until I became injured and my physical therapist basically said all my injuries was due to chronic tightness from never stretching

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Might be worth a visit to a physiotherapist. Not something that's going to be easy to self diagnose. From what you describe it sounds like it could be a nerve issue. I've had a pinched nerve in my lower back in the past which was aggravated by heavy deads and squats.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might be worth a visit to a physiotherapist.
I would second this. It sounds like it could be a proximal hamstring tendinopathy, but that's not really something that can be easily diagnosed online. If that is the case, you will probably be prescribed exercises to load the area appropriately and address the cause, and you may want to look into soft tissue work (such as Active Release Technique). However, as stated previously, we're working off a very brief description...a PT, ortho, or chiropractor will get a much more thorough history and do some ortho exams to give a more accurate diagnosis. Good luck.

jg2039

Awards
Might be worth a visit to a physiotherapist. Not something that's going to be easy to self diagnose. From what you describe it sounds like it could be a nerve issue. I've had a pinched nerve in my lower back in the past which was aggravated by heavy deads and squats.
I would second this. It sounds like it could be a proximal hamstring tendinopathy, but that's not really something that can be easily diagnosed online. If that is the case, you will probably be prescribed exercises to load the area appropriately and address the cause, and you may want to look into soft tissue work (such as Active Release Technique). However, as stated previously, we're working off a very brief description...a PT, ortho, or chiropractor will get a much more thorough history and do some ortho exams to give a more accurate diagnosis. Good luck.
Thanks guys. I did order a foam roller and have started adding more work emphasizing glutes and hams. I'll look into my options for a more serious diagnosis as well.