Hair Loss Prevention

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My hairline is starting to receade on the sides, the middle of my forehead is holding strong.. What am i better off using to stop the receading? Is proscar something a doctor will proscribe?

D-

MrDreamWeaver

Awards
My hairline is starting to thin and all I'm concerned about is KEEPING WHAT I HAVE. I currently have a full set of hair but I think I might start to thin in other places too, or my hairline will recede rapidly (dad and gramps are both bald as hell). I was wondering if someone could direct me towards a product that will be the most sufficient for what I wanna do.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Guys, read the post at the beginning of the thread!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys, read the post at the beginning of the thread!
I read it.. I am just trying to decipher if i am better off going with a stack like you posted or trying to get ahold of some proscar..

My hair isnt really thining, i have thick ass hair, just the sides are starting to receade..

Thanks for the help,
D-

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a lot of MPB in your family? I would apply anti-androgens to the top of the head, vertex, as well as the areas where its receeding. Use minoxidil only on the areas that are receeding.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you have a lot of MPB in your family? I would apply anti-androgens to the top of the head, vertex, as well as the areas where its receeding. Use minoxidil only on the areas that are receeding.
Cool thanks, i guess i am going to order some spiro, minox, and azleaic from custom...

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Guys, thanks for the tip on Fluridil. I did some research on it, and it has gotten some pretty positive reviews from hairloss forums. That's good news considering most of the dudes who hang around those sites only do so if they haven't cured their problem.

Anyway, if you do go that route, make sure you apply the Fluridil separate from other compounds and nowhere near when you shower. The molecule is designed to break down easily in the presence of water, which prevents systemic absorption (and the resulting loss of libido). Thus, applying it with a minox solution (where some may contain some H20) would be counterproductive.

I still need to do some looking into its mechanism v. that of spiro, but again, the results from others have been promising.

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
BV...
Again, great thread bro....sorry if I missed this but mind posting a link to a place someone could pick up some 'Regrowth Treatment' Nizoral? Thanks

O14

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Canada Pharmacy is as good a place as any as I've seen for Nizoral 2%.

I think Dr. Lee sells another version on his site, minoxidil.com.

Wholesale Hairproducts also carries Niz 2% along with minox and sometimes spiro. I've heard their solutions are a little spotty someitmes and fall out of solution, though. Still, it's good to know of other providers.

Another good site (especially for more innovative products) is Lipoxidil.com, though I don't believe they carry Nizoral 2%.

I did a lot of research on hairloss before I began taking androgens because frankly, having been down the road of realizing I was thinning up top and finally getting it to stop (and really regrow back to what I had), I have every intention of avoiding the hairloss thing.

One of the better discussion boards I've found is at hairsite4.com.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Dr.Lee's 'Regrowth Treatment Shampoo' is superior to standard Nizoral. It contains 3% Salycilic acid, which aids in the penetration of Ketoconozole, the active ingredient which inhibits DHT.

Again, great thread bro....sorry if I missed this but mind posting a link to a place someone could pick up some 'Regrowth Treatment' Nizoral? Thanks
Sure - www.minoxidil.com.

Cool thanks, i guess i am going to order some spiro, minox, and azleaic from custom...
Keep in mind that Custom's Spiro is a potent 5% solution. (at a great price too, I might add) Its very pungent and IMO, isnt good for applying to the entire scalp. A milder, 2% solution should work better for this. Keep the 5% for spot treating problem areas like the hairline, vertex, etc.

BV

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
One more question....

In the interest of time and money I might be just using Neutrogena T-sal (3% S/A) and Non-Pre. Strength Nizoral (1% K), seems as though this will be just as effective and much cheaper....any thoughts?

O14

DaNotoriousDOM

Awards
I just started using the Azelaic Acid 5% immidiately followed by Minoxidil 5% and 1-2min later followed by Spironolactone 2% stack from custom. I don't take any pro hormones. I think my hair just receded due to stress in college. hehe But seriously, it all happened in like a month and haven't receded more in years. It's just at the sides of my forehead. And the middle is thinner, but still there. I'm 26 now.

How long after applying the stack can I start sweating? I played some bball 30min after an application and it was burning a little one I started sweating. I'm more concerned with the sweat pushing the solutions out then the burning. And how long after the application can I wash my hair. I don't mind getting up an hour or more before I have to wake up to apply it and then take a shower. The stuff is really shiny on the skin and I'd rather not go outside looking like that. When it dries out, can I assume it's fully absorbed or how long do I have to wait?

Should I also get the nizoral 2% shampoo from here? http://www.nizoral2percent.com/hairloss.php

I was unable to locate Retin-A. Anyone have a link?

SpecialK117

Awards
Ive had the same problem, here's the fix: At night, skip an application of the topicals and rub some good moisturizing lotion into your scalp. It'll make your hair all greasy but who cares, you're going to sleep.

When you wake up, dandruff will be gone! It actually might take a couple applications but usually one is good enough for me.

Normal dandruff is caused by the Pityrosporum ovale fungus. If you're using Nizoral, this isnt an issue. Its just dry scalp from the chemicals in the topicals (ethanol, propylene glycol, etc)...skin lotion does the trick.

BV
Thanks, but won't it diminish the effectiveness of the minox if I only apply it 1x day?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You only have to apply the skin lotion once every few weeks or so to stave off the dandruff. Skipping one application every few weeks isnt going to hurt. If you're worried about it, apply the topicals and give them an hour or so to absorb, and then apply the lotion.

DaNotoriousDOM

Awards
Anyone used Finpecia? The generic Propecia from India that costs way less.

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah finapecia is very good and its quite cheap... drugs are cheaper in india... btw, its not generic, just because its not made in america doesnt make it generic does it? generics are normally lower quality.. i dotn think u can say that about finapecia.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Or you guys could just shave your head, get some tattoos, grow a goatee and be hardcore :rofl:

Superus

Awards
I read this whole thread but i'm still all little confused about this. Lots of factors concerning muscle loss, my question is

I'm going to be running a cycle of TestEN/TrenEN/Winny My cycle log is on here

I though i was loosing my hair when i did a M1T cycle i did shead some what but ive been clean for a while now and my hair seems to be thick but i think it's thinning..it's all a mind game.

Anyways I don't want to lose muscle can anyone create a working stack for me? it would be greatly appreciated :)

rock1041

Awards
Propecia use while doing 1AD or 1Test

Great Thread!

I am new to Body Building and after reading everything still had a question about Propecia which I learned is just Finasteride from everyone, thanks. I have been taking Propecia, when I remember to, for about 7 years now.

I want to gain mass, and am eating quality foods, Protien, etc. I am going to start a product called 1-Test 1,4 AD THP Ether, that is in a liquid form that you take by mouth. My plans is to take 1-test for two weeks twice a day. Then I was going to follow with 6 oxo or Instone Forza-T. Not sure how long to do the 6-OXO phase but it sounds like at lease the same amount of time as the 1-Test phase, so two weeks is my plan right now. Then take 2-4 weeks off everything.

First question is about my 1-test/6-oxo plan. Does this sound ok for gaining mass?

Second question is about Propecia. Should I keep taking it just like normal (1 a day) or stop taking it during my 1-Test and 6-0X0 phases?

Goal, gain mass and keep the hair I have.

I also might try 1-AD next time, followed by 6-oxo.

Thanks for your expert advice.

Steve

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Or you guys could just shave your head, get some tattoos, grow a goatee and be hardcore
Bro if this stuff didnt work so well believe me, that would be my plan of action:)

Supersus - topicals arent systemic. You dont have to worry about muscle loss. As far as creating a working stack for you, my advice would be to go back a re-read the 1st post in this thread. Its got all the info you need.

Rock1041 - Ive never used propecia, but it wont hurt to keep taking it during a 1-test cycle. I would use topical spiro as well if you're worried about it.

BV

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about getting the Ketoconazole Powder from custom, and using it in my normal shampoo. But I was wondering, how would you go about mixing the shampoo and powder together? I don't think shampoo is that mixable lol.

Great post/read by the way.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about getting the Ketoconazole Powder from custom, and using it in my normal shampoo. But I was wondering, how would you go about mixing the shampoo and powder together? I don't think shampoo is that mixable lol.

Great post/read by the way.
Bump, I was thinking the same thing. THis might be best asked in the Custom forum.

fjc5006

Awards
I'm 19 and just starting to use rogaine, I also ordered the spiro, AA, Minoxidil stack and am planning on visiting my dermatologist so that I can have propecia prescribed to me. My question is, is it normal to experience itching when you are first starting to use Minoxidil, and are any of these topical creams able to be applied to the front and mid section of the scalp or are they all just for use on the vertex?

DaNotoriousDOM

Awards
I get some itching from minoxidil/AA. I stopped using spiro, it combines with minoxidil and smells and burns. It also left the treated area bright red for a whole day afterwards. So it really didn't matter that I applied it at night as the next day I had to wear a hat to cover the red area. I'm also taking saw palmetto. It's cheap and figure it can't hurt. I've only been on it for a month and a half so too early to tell. You're supposed to notice something after 4-6months of treatment. I'll post my results then. I took alot of pre pics. I only lost hair at the temples and that's the hardest area to regrow so if it works there it will work everywhere.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I'm 19 and just starting to use rogaine, I also ordered the spiro, AA, Minoxidil stack and am planning on visiting my dermatologist so that I can have propecia prescribed to me. My question is, is it normal to experience itching when you are first starting to use Minoxidil, and are any of these topical creams able to be applied to the front and mid section of the scalp or are they all just for use on the vertex?
Yes, it's normal to itch when you first apply a topical. These topicals are usually in alcohol or a propylene glycol solution, so they're going to itch, especially when you first start. Less so with time. If you continue to have problems with minox, order from Dr. Lee's site, minoxidil.com. His is a little gentler on the scalp (plus it also dries more quickly). It is a bit more expensive, though.

Also, you should not apply minox and spiro at the same time. They react together, create a horrible smell, etc...

If you're looking for a cheap source of Propecia, get Proscar instead. They're the exact same thing (i.e. finasteride), except Proscar is in 5 mg pills v. the 1 mg pill for Propecia. If you want it without a script, try www.qhi.co.uk.

Don't expect your dermatologist to know a great deal about hairloss unless he specializes in the field. If you're looking to get more info, try the forums at harilosstalk.com or hairsite.com.

Best of luck, dude.

(and by all means, stick with the finasteride unless the sides are just unbearable for a long length of time. It's the best thing out there, IMHO)

fjc5006

Awards
I'd also like to know what the definition of severe hair loss is. So far I think I've been losing hair for the past 8 months, although I did not realize it til now but I have been noticing in pictures taken earlier in the fall semester. I shed thin hairs on my pillow and a lot of thicker ones come out in the shower. However, in 8 months it has not yet become noticeable. Would that be classified moderate or severe?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'd also like to know what the definition of severe hair loss is. So far I think I've been losing hair for the past 8 months, although I did not realize it til now but I have been noticing in pictures taken earlier in the fall semester. I shed thin hairs on my pillow and a lot of thicker ones come out in the shower. However, in 8 months it has not yet become noticeable. Would that be classified moderate or severe?
I don't know about the classification, but you are only 19 and already losing it (I was only 21), so it seems logical that you would be a candidate for severe loss. The good news is that you noticed it and are here doing research. If you take preventitive measures and remain meticulous you should be able to salvage all, or at least most of your hair. Prevention is a hell of a lot more effective than regrowth.

tweaks

Board Supporter
Awards
Also, Finasteride should never be used with Deca-Durabolin. It can actually promote hair loss in this situation.
Really? I've never heard this before. Any idea why this would be true?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't possibly explain the science behind it, but it has to do with the interaction between Deca/Nordiol and finasteride. Search around for it, or you might want to consult the good Dr.

tarbaby2000

Awards
I recall that deca uses 5AR to convert to a weaker androgen(dhn). When finasteride blocks the 5AR, deca remains a stronger androgen, thus promotes hair loss to a greater extent than it normally would. By the way. I started a post in custom's section (called concentration) to see if he would make a more concentrated version of his minoxidil (10-15%), so please bump it if you are interested. Cant beat his prices.

tweaks

Board Supporter
Awards
I recall that deca uses 5AR to convert to a weaker androgen(dhn). When finasteride blocks the 5AR, deca remains a stronger androgen, thus promotes hair loss to a greater extent than it normally would. By the way. I started a post in custom's section (called concentration) to see if he would make a more concentrated version of his minoxidil (10-15%), so please bump it if you are interested. Cant beat his prices.
Thanks for the information. That's certainly good to know, especially considering I was considering using Deca in my next cycle. Guess I'll pass on that now...

fjc5006

Awards
I just ordered proscar in its 5 mg per pill form and was wondering if I should take each pill individually or cut them up into fifth's?

tarbaby2000

Awards
I just cut them into thirds or half. They are small and hard to accurately cut into fifths, but if you prefer, thats okay.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying you can buy finapecia in the US?

tarbaby2000

Awards
I get from inhousepharmacy. It is overseas, but safe and get here in 7 days everytime i've ordered.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I just cut them into thirds or half. They are small and hard to accurately cut into fifths, but if you prefer, thats okay.
I'd just get a pillcutter. You can find them at most drugstores (e.g. Walgreens, Safeco, Revco, CVS, etc...). I got mine for like 4 or 5 bucks. It's maybe the length of your pointerfinger. Makes cutting them into fourths or fifths pretty easy.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Maybe this doesn't belong in this forum...

Are you allowed to legally possess a 90-day supply of that imported drug without a prescription? I don't fully understand the law about "personal use" imports. Thanks.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Maybe this doesn't belong in this forum...

Are you allowed to legally possess a 90-day supply of that imported drug without a prescription? I don't fully understand the law about "personal use" imports. Thanks.
I think the rule allows for a 2-month supply. With Proscar, translates into an 8 or 10 month supply, depending upon how you cut the pills.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
OK, so a 2 month supply. But my real question is whether it is truly legal to possess for those 2 months without a prescription. I think your answer is "yes." I've read conflicting answers to this.

mortac8

Awards
BigVrunga, you said that custom's 5% spiro produces an odor. I have Dr. Lee's 2% solution and it also produces an odor. What 2% spiro do you use that doesn't smell bad?

fjc5006

Awards
When you guys starting balding about how many hairs would you say you shed daily?

Also, I just purchased a bottle of Shen Min, which contains Saw Palmetto Extracts, and I was wondering how effective it is in comparison to Finasteride. I would like to use the topical treatment and the saw palmetto first because my dad told me he has read many medical journals that Propecia has caused some liver and kidney problems in patients. (He got his M.D. in internal medicine.) However if the Saw Palmetto does not work well I will probably take finasteride instead regardless of the side effects.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
bro if your shedding dont count hairs; do something about it.

i have also heard saw palmetto is good for hairloss

mortac8

Awards
I noticed problems when I started shedding probably around 50-100+ hairs. But remember, the balding process is when your hairs don't grow back after they or shed or they come back weaker/thinner. Lots of people shed hairs (ever see a woman's brush) but that doesn't necessairily mean you're going bald.

I don't think you can compare Saw P / Shen Min to something like Finasteride. I haven't heard many people have success on Saw P and I'm a regular on a few hairloss forums (hairlosshelp is a good one). I never heard that propecia has caused liver&kidney problems...then again I'm not an MD. I'd say that for most people, Propecia is probably the best and most convenient treatment for hairloss. You could also look into topical DHT inhibitors like Spiro (my 2% ends up smelling bad), fluridil (pretty much unproven), or azelic acid (sp?...not really meant to be a stand-alone treatment).

The guy who started this thread pretty much knows what he's talking about so heed his advice.

When you guys starting balding about how many hairs would you say you shed daily?

Also, I just purchased a bottle of Shen Min, which contains Saw Palmetto Extracts, and I was wondering how effective it is in comparison to Finasteride. I would like to use the topical treatment and the saw palmetto first because my dad told me he has read many medical journals that Propecia has caused some liver and kidney problems in patients. (He got his M.D. in internal medicine.) However if the Saw Palmetto does not work well I will probably take finasteride instead regardless of the side effects.

boby-at

Awards
as far as i know spiro stinks bc its unstable in solution (fresh solutions dont smell) - maybe its better to obtain the tabs (aldactone) and prepare each day a fresh solution?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
BigVrunga, you said that custom's 5% spiro produces an odor. I have Dr. Lee's 2% solution and it also produces an odor. What 2% spiro do you use that doesn't smell bad?
I never noticed an unpleasant odor from Dr.Lee's 2% spiro solution. I might have smelled a little 'off' - kind of a rubber-tire like smell (my girlfriend hates it!:)), but never a nasty egg smell like some solutions.

Anyway, we're all in luck. Dr.Lee has developed a new 'odor free' spiro lotion. Check out this interview with him on Hairlosstalk.com:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article157.htm

Read through it, its pretty informative.

BigVrunga

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
fluridil (pretty much unproven),
There was an American study done on fluridil. How respectable it is i don't know. But I have seen quite a few people use fluridil to stop their shedding. For most people (if it does work) it won't regrow hair to a great degree, just slow down or stop your loss.