Gr-Easy EJL's fish oil megadosing ala Charles Poliquin thread

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right now i'm taking vitamin shoppe brand in liquid, and its costing under $1/day. Custom Nutrition Warehouse (a board sponsor) has their caps at a ridiculously low price too - 1000 1g caps for $28 I think, so also under $1/day.

I think right now my macros are around 40carb/30pro/30fat workout days and 30/40/30 non workout. basically on workout days I am taking in an extra 100~150g of carbs just to survive thru GVT. Its hard to say where I am vs maintenance, since I think I have light thyroid issues and slow metabolism. my personal belief is that normal day maintenance is around 1800 or so. Right now i'm between 3600-4000 cal workout days and 3200-3600 non workout. I wouldn't normally go so high on fats, but what can I do when i'm trying to take in red meat, and taking 45g of fish oil a day? When I go to cutting it will radically change as i'll hardly take in any fat besides the fish oil, and get more of my protein from shakes, and most of my carbs from fruit.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I think right now my macros are around 40carb/30pro/30fat workout days and 30/40/30 non workout. basically on workout days I am taking in an extra 100~150g of carbs just to survive thru GVT. Its hard to say where I am vs maintenance, since I think I have light thyroid issues and slow metabolism. my personal belief is that normal day maintenance is around 1800 or so. Right now i'm between 3600-4000 cal workout days and 3200-3600 non workout. .
So, do you think that the gains are due to primarily the fish oil or the double maintenance cals? Or a combination of both?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
of course you can't get gains without going over maintenance cals, thats basically against the laws of physics (sort of like believing that michael jackson had little boys in his bed and poured wine down their throats and then just read bedtime stories). So gaining scale weight has to come from that. But I attribute the fact that its all lean mass (i've got increased definition vs when I was 12 lbs lower) to the fish oil / incarnate / leviathan combo

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
of course you can't get gains without going over maintenance cals, thats basically against the laws of physics (sort of like believing that michael jackson had little boys in his bed and poured wine down their throats and then just read bedtime stories). So gaining scale weight has to come from that. But I attribute the fact that its all lean mass (i've got increased definition vs when I was 12 lbs lower) to the fish oil / incarnate / leviathan combo
:thumbsup: I savvy!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain what this means to me please, I do not fully understand what you are saying here?

Much Love,

Neoborn

It appears I may have mis-read what LEF was talking about in regards to fish and sesame oil. Thus far, aside from thinning of the blood, I can't find any dangers in using large amounts of fish oil. If the argument that Poliquin present is correct..ie our ancestors used to consume the 30-45 grams per day..then there's likely no danger.

Other than going broke.

illfoo

Awards
I'm trying this out right now too. I've been around 40 g a day of the liquid fish oils for about 4 days and am noticing improved mood, if nothing else. I'm interested to see what what kind of results I'm going to get with this.

Also, I've read on other boards that many people don't like the caps because they don't seem to have the same results. Some have speculated that the encapsulation process may compromise the integrity of the oil. I have no idea idea if this theory has any validity, but I've dosed as high as 20 g a day with the caps, and noticed no discerable effects.

But with the liquid, I have definately noticed an improvement in mood and the way I handle myself; I seem to be more talkative and happy to deal with people, if that makes any sense.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But with the liquid, I have definately noticed an improvement in mood and the way I handle myself; I seem to be more talkative and happy to deal with people, if that makes any sense.
you are well oiled now so everything goes smoother! sigh, lame joke

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Also, I've read on other boards that many people don't like the caps because they don't seem to have the same results. Some have speculated that the encapsulation process may compromise the integrity of the oil. I have no idea idea if this theory has any validity, but I've dosed as high as 20 g a day with the caps, and noticed no discerable effects.

I've heard the same things about Flax Seed Oil. The health benegits are pronounced with the liquid but nowhere as obvious w/ the same dose in capsules. I belive that it has something to do, as you alluded to, with the process.

E, do you keep your oil refrigerated? I know Flax oil must be refrigerated or it gets rancid. Of course, since you finish off a bottle in a week, there is no time to get rancid, huh?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard the same things about Flax Seed Oil. The health benegits are pronounced with the liquid but nowhere as obvious w/ the same dose in capsules. I belive that it has something to do, as you alluded to, with the process.

E, do you keep your oil refrigerated? I know Flax oil must be refrigerated or it gets rancid. Of course, since you finish off a bottle in a week, there is no time to get rancid, huh?
my fish, flax and coconut oils all stay refrigerated once opened. I wonder if its more the omega 3 in general that his this effect, or if its fish specifically? like I wonder if flax oil would give similar results at same doses

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
my fish, flax and coconut oils all stay refrigerated once opened. I wonder if its more the omega 3 in general that his this effect, or if its fish specifically? like I wonder if flax oil would give similar results at same doses
Great question...there are many who hail Flax Seed Oil in large doses as a panacea - capable of curing all kinds of ailments up to and incluiding cancer. Not to mention, fat loss properties as well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great question...there are many who hail Flax Seed Oil in large doses as a panacea - capable of curing all kinds of ailments up to and incluiding cancer. Not to mention, fat loss properties as well.
I'm not doing 80g of oils total a day

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is there EPA + DHA in flax oil? I'm looking to find dosages of it

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
man I read the wrond easy my bad
I'm just scared that wilman will talk me into it. between him + xjsynx they've got me doing 40gs of fish oil, and doing GVT as a workout scheme. I think they are using jedi mind magic

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So here's some skinny on Flax seed oil, and the DHA/EPA. Realistically I think that a significant fraction of the benefit of this megadosing comes from reaching the 2g of DHA mark. Its almost enough for me to buy the biotest flameout instead of loose oil (but not quite)

Flax oil composition

While flax seeds are an excellent source of omega 3 fat, they only contain one basic member of the omega 3 fat family. In the case of flax, virtually all of the omega 3 fat is found in the form of alpha linolenic acid (also just called linolenic acid). This specific kind of omega 3 fat makes up about 50% of the oil in flax seeds. In a 1-gram capsule of flax oil, there are about 500 milligrams of linolenic acid.

The omega 3 assembly line starts with linolenic acid

So that you can better understand how the fact that flax seeds feature a concentration of linolenic acid impacts their potential ability to be an overall good source of omega 3s, let's start with a basic chemistry review of the omega 3 family of fats.

Omega 3s are a very diverse group of fats. Yet, all of the members fall into a basic pattern that can be imagined as a kind of metabolic assembly line.

Fats can be measured in length according to the number of carbon atoms that they contain. Linolenic acid, that which is concentrated in flax seeds, has 18 carbons, making it the shortest of the omega 3 fats, and hence the simplest. It retains a position at the beginning of the assembly line with our omega 3 metabolism starting with this compound as a building block.

Linolenic acid gets elongated into other omega 3 fatty acids

If another pair of carbon atoms gets added on to linolenic acid (a process called "elongation" in biochemistry, and a process that is carried out by enzymes called "elongases"), it gets ready to become EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), another important member of the omega 3 family. If yet another pair of carbons are added to EPA, it in turn gets ready to become DHA, (docosahexaenoic acid), a third important member of the omega 3s.

Linolenic acids gets desaturated into other omega 3 fatty acids

The reason we say that these omega 3 fats "get ready" to turn into other forms is because getting longer is not the only requirement for conversion of one omega 3 to another. A second requirement is what's called "increased desaturation." During this process, the omega 3 fat gets altered chemically so that its carbon atoms are connected together in a new way that provides more flexibility to the fat. This new kind of connection is called double-bonding. For linolenic acid (our starting point for the omega 3 assembly line) to become EPA, two new double bonds must be added in addition to the 2-carbon atom increase in length.

The role of other nutrients in omega 3 metabolism

The process of lengthening and changing, of elongating and desaturating, the chemical bonds in omega 3 fat is complex, and many nutrients are required to bring it about. To get from linolenic acid, the start of the omega 3 assembly line, to EPA, for example, the required nutrients are: vitamin B3, vitamin B6, vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
BTW, Distilled...when I write Flax Oil...I mean Flax Oil...not what Barry thinks is Flax Oil! Da Clear Baby! :head:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
O i know but it just seems way to tough for me even with bulking and eating everything is site.

I'm going to be cutting on the CKD and it would def. kill me then.
legs day completely kills me (that was today). I'm half asleep the rest of the day

beallio

beallio

Awards
i was going to ask you about this. im not taking big doses of Fish oil , but since i runned out of cycle support i increased my dose from 6 gr ED to 9.6-12 gr and i have noticed that my blood got a nice bright red color and it takes longer to coagulate and to form scabs and once the scabs are formed they can be easyly removed. i got a nose bleed 3 days ago and it hasnt healed completely. it starts healing and eveything but if i sneeze i start with the nose bleed and it takes time to heal again. i think im going to drop the fish oil a few days till my nose bleeds stop.
I can't imagine this would any worse than the nose bleeds I had while on superdrol...those damn things would come at the worst times, usually when I was doing heavy bench or squat.

I can't think of any reason why, other than possibly from its anti inflammatory effects, but that seems to not effect muscle growth negatively. I think it could be a big plus really in that it would help to keep lipid profiles straighter.

Really I'm not sure whether I personally would take it on a cycle tho, moreso use it during post cycle therapy + time off. that way its a bridge kind of, can keep gains going potentially and help fix any cholesterol damage. I'm not sure tho really. It just would seem to be something of a waste to take it with a ph/ps, at least from what results i've gotten so far from fish oil alone.
I'm currently mega-dosing fish oils while on a pulse cycle of epi/e-form. For those of us with joint problems, this could be a god send if the anecdotal evidence is true....

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I can't imagine this would any worse than the nose bleeds I had while on superdrol...those damn things would come at the worst times, usually when I was doing heavy bench or squat.
That's when your BP is highest...pretty scary the 1st time it happens...your like oh crap...I think I just had a stroke! :blink:

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny:

:sad: man there go's that fun......I was wondering if anyone would say somthing about the "flax oil" and my bonds avy. Well done
Couldn't let that pass ;)

Barry Bonds was taking Flax Oil and David Boston was taking Fish Oil...combined they put on 50+ lbs of muscle...could happen :blink:

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone read the October issue of Muscular Development?? It has a very interesting article in it about NSAIDs and fish oil, basically stating that they can PREVENT muscle growth due to it's anti-inflammatory effects it has on muscle. It states that diets high in omega 3 fatty acids decrease prostaglandin production and diets high in omega-6 fatty acids increase prostaglandin production(think Arachidonic Acid the active found in X-Factor). They went on to say that it decreases COX-2 production, which is essential for muscle growth.
So on the one hand you have all the positive effects such as pain reduction, cardiovascular benefits, better glucose uptake, and improved insulin sensitivity. And on the downside by increasing omega 3's you lower your levels on PGF2A and PGE2 via reducing muscle inflammation and lower arachidonic acid production.......just some food for though guys.

beallio

beallio

Awards
That's when your BP is highest...pretty scary the 1st time it happens...your like oh crap...I think I just had a stroke! :blink:
haha, at first I thought it was due to the weather (dry weather has an adverse effect on the membranes in my nose. Lovely, I know). Luckily, I had those little nose tampons on hand. Cram one up, hock out the blood, continue to lift.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
haha, at first I thought it was due to the weather (dry weather has an adverse effect on the membranes in my nose. Lovely, I know). Luckily, I had those little nose tampons on hand. Cram one up, hock out the blood, continue to lift.
I like your style B! :head:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone read the October issue of Muscular Development?? It has a very interesting article in it about NSAIDs and fish oil, basically stating that they can PREVENT muscle growth due to it's anti-inflammatory effects it has on muscle. It states that diets high in omega 3 fatty acids decrease prostaglandin production and diets high in omega-6 fatty acids increase prostaglandin production(think Arachidonic Acid the active found in X-Factor). They went on to say that it decreases COX-2 production, which is essential for muscle growth.
So on the one hand you have all the positive effects such as pain reduction, cardiovascular benefits, better glucose uptake, and improved insulin sensitivity. And on the downside by increasing omega 3's you lower your levels on PGF2A and PGE2 via reducing muscle inflammation and lower arachidonic acid production.......just some food for though guys.

Interesting. I don't think tho that fish oil acts as a cox 2 inhibitor, but maybe. I'll look for that issue at the grocery store later :thumbsup:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so if I take flax oil and fish oild I could put on over 50lbs?

beallio

beallio

Awards
Interesting. I don't think tho that fish oil acts as a cox 2 inhibitor, but maybe. I'll look for that issue at the grocery store later :thumbsup:
Does anyone know if MD provided links to studies?

I knew COX-2 inhibitors had an adverse affect on muscle development (hence my propensity to stay away from them unless necessary), but I wonder how someone would explain football players...

Each level you move up in football, the more NSAIDs become like candy. I don't know many who survived a season without taking at minimum a couple bottles. Most bottles (or blister packs, Drs loved handing out free samples) would last a week. Maybe days...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, it could be another one of those things where we get all crazy about it if it knocks 10-20% off what muscle is added, but the nfl player could give a damn.

beallio

beallio

Awards
well, it could be another one of those things where we get all crazy about it if it knocks 10-20% off what muscle is added, but the nfl player could give a damn.

Funny how sometimes everything is just a matter of perspective...

Edit: I meant how we scoff at losing 10-20%, but other would not.

Last edited:

cardiffgiant

Awards
I wish that MD article listed doses that would have this effect. I mean if you were on an aspirin regimen(2 baby aspirin)per day does anyone think this matters?Personally I don't think whatever benefits of dropping the aspirin are worth whatever muscle growth they claim you would be getting. Again dose is the question. BTW a writer for MD( I don't even think this article )writes about this in his book-Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon M. Colker,MD.He says specifically don't take aspirin but IMO if you are older and already have enough size and want benefits of aspirin I say take it at low dose.One more thing-Years ago loads of people took ECA combo and did not lose a lot of muscle I don't think, in fact I bet some would say they gained muscle while losing fat or just lost fat.I don't think it affected my muscle growth when I did ECA combo.Well I guess everybody will have to choose what to do-If I was younger I would probably avoid NSAIDs. If older and need benefits of aspirin-like me then take it at low dose-again only 2 baby aspirin and nothing else.

cardiffgiant

Awards
legs day completely kills me (that was today). I'm half asleep the rest of the day
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I could see doing volume training once in a while for a week maybe to mix it up but at an advanced age I think it's hard enough some times to recover from a limited amount of intense sets nevermind 10 per part with the 10 reps. I'm curious as to what your complete program looks like as far as split, days off, etc.? Thanks.BTW I might just do the week to mix it up like I mentioned-haven't done volume training in what seems like forever.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Yeah I would like to hear a counter argument to this. Mega dosing fish oil was sounding good until this came up.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I could see doing volume training once in a while for a week maybe to mix it up but at an advanced age I think it's hard enough some times to recover from a limited amount of intense sets nevermind 10 per part with the 10 reps. I'm curious as to what your complete program looks like as far as split, days off, etc.? Thanks.BTW I might just do the week to mix it up like I mentioned-haven't done volume training in what seems like forever.
Correct you shouldn't do Volume training for a long time, but for a cycle of 4-6 weeks is a nice plateau buster...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its painful, its just enough time to recover too. Its a 3 days out of 5 rotation, the specter of squats again only 5 days later is always enough to haunt me.

Day 1: Chest and Back

Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses, Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you) 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Incline Dumbbell Flies 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 10-12 3 0 2 0 60 sec

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in over-training.

Day 2: Legs and Abs Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Back Squats 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Lying Leg Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins* 3 15-20 2 0 2 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated Calf Raises 3 15-20 2 0 2 0 60 sec

(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Arms and Shoulders

Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Parallel Bar Dips 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
A-2 Incline Hammer Curls 10 10 4 0 2 0 90 sec
B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises* 3 10-12 2 0 X 0 60 sec
B-2 Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 10-12 2 0 X 0 60 sec

(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. "X" in the tempo means to move as fast as possible, keeping the weight under control.

Day 5: Off

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
The part of the article that relevant to fish oil was cited as:
Calder PC. N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammation: from molecular biology to the clinic.
lipids,2003 Apr;38(4):343-52. Review.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well, anecdotally at least, Poliquin's results seem to refute this claim. More than likely EPA/DHA are only suppressing AA and COX to certain extent, ie keeping them within a certain range and this range is still enough to promote muscle growth.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I was curious about this as well, but give CP the benefit of the doubt. To bad he doesn't respond to his articles like he use to, or else I would ask him.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I would like to hear a counter argument to this. Mega dosing fish oil was sounding good until this came up.
Counter argument 1 is "its Muscular Development for christs sakes". number 2 is "fish oil is a Cox 1 inhibitor, not a Cox 2"

Dietary fish oil causes its prostaglandin-lowering effects through three different mechanisms, says Dr. Smith.

First, the much fewer prostaglandins are made from omega 3 fatty acids as compared to the other class of fatty acids in the body, the omega 6 family of fatty acids that originate in the diet from leafy vegetables and other plant sources.

Second, the omega 3 fatty acids compete with omega 6 fatty acids for the same binding site on the COX 1 enzyme that converts the omega 6 fatty acids to prostaglandin (which is why the COX 1 enzyme and its COX 2 cousin are the targets of anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen). The more omega 3 fatty acids present to block the binding sites, the fewer omega 6 fatty acids are able to be converted to prostaglandin.

Third, although omega 3 fatty acids also are converted to prostaglandins, the prostaglandins formed from omega 3 are generally 2 to 50 times less active than those formed from the omega 6 fatty acids from dietary plants.
So different action than asprin/ibuprofen. Also, from this article note the reasoning why x-factor is not meant to be used with high dose fish oil

FISH-OIL: A NOVEL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MECHANISM
Inflammation is a critical defense mechanism, protecting an organism from pathogens and tumor formation. These processes require tight regulation, and when uncontrolled can result in tissue destruction and contribute to chronic conditions with inflammatory pathogenesis including autoimmune disease, atherosclerosis, asthma, and Alzheimer's disease. Molecules with important roles in inflammation include proinflammatory leukotrienes and prostaglandins. These are produced from conversion of the omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid (AA), via the enzymes cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase. In contrast, it has long been known that omega-3 fatty acids enriched in fish oils have beneficial anti-inflammatory properties.1 Similar to AA, the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA) are substrates for COX and lipoxygenase. Therefore, it has been proposed that EPA and DHA may suppress the pro-inflammatory activities of AA and its metabolites via both competition for the same enzymatic pathway, and the induction of products with lesser inflammatory activity.2 One EPA derivative termed Resolvin E1 (RvE1) has received recent attention, and the discovery of its receptor provides evidence for a novel mechanism underlying its anti-inflammatory activity.
So note that althought it competes with AA, the mechanism that AA uses to enhance growth is not necessarily the only mechanism that muscles can use to grow