Glanbia Buys Isopure

TGB1987

TGB1987

Awards
  • Established
Crazy purchase there. Glanbia owns everything. Surprised they went after this one though.

wray98

wray98

Awards
If you are a successful powder company, Glanbia is probably going to take a look at you. I have a friend who works for them in Texas, I'm curious to see what changes occur. I know when BSN was purchased all stayed the same for a little bit of time, then slowly things changed in many forms.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
If you are a successful powder company, Glanbia is probably going to take a look at you. I have a friend who works for them in Texas, I'm curious to see what changes occur. I know when BSN was purchased all stayed the same for a little bit of time, then slowly things changed in many forms.
Like what?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hooefully they fix their powder flavors so they taste like the RTDs when mixed

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
So what is the list of everything that they own? Isopure makes some great WPI but their prices are crazy high.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
what's so great about isopure wpi? it's old and outdated ion-exchange processing - certainly nothing to be excited about, depletes the nutritional profile of the protein itself, and combined with stupid ridiculous pricing makes this one an EASY pass

if glanbia wants to do justice to it, they will scrap the IE bullsh1t and use some modern equipment/methods to process the stuff

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
what's so great about isopure wpi? it's old and outdated ion-exchange processing - certainly nothing to be excited about, depletes the nutritional profile of the protein itself, and combined with stupid ridiculous pricing makes this one an EASY pass

if glanbia wants to do justice to it, they will scrap the IE bullsh1t and use some modern equipment/methods to process the stuff
What kind of whey do you like? I literally got a 5lb tub of WPI at I believe 81 servings, 24g of protein/serving, for $52. Not bad IMO.

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Ion-Exchange processing affects flavor significantly, it's a big part of how they're able to go with some of the unique flavors they have.

There's also a couple of different types of Ion exchange processing some of which are more/less harsh, and each results in a significantly different makeup of the end product.

For example, I'm not so sure you can say that IE processing makes for a worse end product here:

Also, membrane filtered WPI inherently has lower BCAA levels than IE whey.

Both methods have their valid place.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
What kind of whey do you like? I literally got a 5lb tub of WPI at I believe 81 servings, 24g of protein/serving, for $52. Not bad IMO.
CFM

Also, membrane filtered WPI inherently has lower BCAA levels than IE whey.

Both methods have their valid place.
IE is harsh processing method, and that's the trade-off .. higher bcaa levels, at expense of nutritional components
IE whey protein isolates tend to contain almost none of the vital peptides – lactoferrin, alpha lactalbumin, immunoglobin, beta lactoglobin - contained in raw whey protein that have important health properties..tho IE whey contains fewer impurities than a whey concentrate, it loses a lot of good stuff along the way via the process - it is lacking in biologically-active peptides present in the lesser-processed whey concentrate

flavoring is not a big deal to me - I like nutrition
(which is why I do not rely heavily on any powders in the first place)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ion-Exchange processing affects flavor significantly, it's a big part of how they're able to go with some of the unique flavors they have.

This is why I like isopure. I get the RTD bottles on campus when I am there long days and didn't bring food. I am a fan of some of their more non-traditional milky protein flavors

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
CFM

IE is harsh processing method, and that's the trade-off .. higher bcaa levels, at expense of nutritional components
IE whey protein isolates tend to contain almost none of the vital peptides – lactoferrin, alpha lactalbumin, immunoglobin, beta lactoglobin - contained in raw whey protein that have important health properties..tho IE whey contains fewer impurities than a whey concentrate, it loses a lot of good stuff along the way via the process - it is lacking in biologically-active peptides present in the lesser-processed whey concentrate

flavoring is not a big deal to me - I like nutrition
(which is why I do not rely heavily on any powders in the first place)
Did you not look at the image I posted? All of those peptides are contained in IE Whey, some in *higher* quantities than in membrane filtered whey

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Did you not look at the image I posted?
I did
it was a nice post, and I like the little graphic...but a pretty lil graphic doesn't make it so :D
what you post is entirely contrary to everything I have ever learned about IE processing - which has remained consistent within all of my sources over the last oh, say, 10yrs or so..
I find it hard to believe totally opposing stance, just because you post a nice picture

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did
it was a nice post, and I like the little graphic...but a pretty lil graphic doesn't make it so :D
what you post honestly goes against everything I have ever learned about IE processing - which has remained consistent to all my sources over the last oh, say, 10yrs or so..
I find it hard to believe totally opposing stance, just because you post a nice picture
I would be interested in your sources.

Everything I can find claiming there is some dramatic superiority of membrane-filtered whey over properly done IE whey comes from...people selling membrane-filtered whey...

My main point is this: The type of whey, and processing form used to make that whey is not in and of itself explicitly indicative of quality.

There's good IE WPI. There's bad IE WPI
There's good MF WPI. There's bad MF WPI

What brand you're buying from, and what actual whey ingredient they're buying supply-side is of huge importance.

That image comes from the protein spec on Davisco's BiPro WPI. It's an Ion Exchange whey, it's expensive as hell, but it's a high quality product.

--

I'm like you though in the food regard, I enjoy eating, who the hell doesn't like steak?
I don't really drink many protein supplements, and I drink quite a bit of milk every day anyway, but as my overall consumption of protein products has gone down, my choosiness has gone up.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I would be interested in your sources.
too many to list! indeed, everything I have ever studied talks about the chemical reagents sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid as denaturing to the protein
Everything I can find claiming there is some dramatic superiority of membrane-filtered whey over properly done IE whey comes from...people selling membrane-filtered whey...
that's an interesting thought ..
My main point is this: The type of whey, and processing form used to make that whey is not in and of itself explicitly indicative of quality.

There's good IE WPI. There's bad IE WPI
There's good MF WPI. There's bad MF WPI

What brand you're buying from, and what actual whey ingredient they're buying supply-side is of huge importance.
and imo, there is no differentiation in IE processing, at all...all use same method of chemical charges
here is a decent explanation of the process, which is in line with everything I have ever studied on the subject, and as I have mentioned has been consistent over many yrs..

Whey protein is one of the two major groups of proteins found in milk and is a by-product of cheese-making. This whey by-product is in liquid form and is known as raw whey. Raw whey is composed of naturally occurring macronutrients – protein, fat, minerals, lactose and water as well as micronutrients that are biologically active – alpha lactalbumin, beta lactalbumin, lactoferrin, glycomacropeptides, igG and peptoaminoacids. There are two main methods used to separate whey protein: membrane filtration and ion exchange. We will start with the latter ion exchange which, in terms of nutrition, is our proverbial spider.

Ion exchange is a chemical method that utilizes pH adjustment in order to achieve protein separation. Raw whey is sent through a column that has an affinity for protein. The protein is collected and all the other macronutrients pass through. Chemical reagents sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid are introduced in order to release the protein, by adjusting the pH.

While this yields a very high protein ingredient – 90-96%, with no fat or carbs (lactose), this pH adjustment can denature the protein and can reduce the biological activity of the protein and it’s micronutrients. Reduced or eliminated are antioxidants, essential amino acids, protein digestion, calcium absorption and immune support to name a few. The total carb savings in ion exchange is 6-10g; the same amount found in nutrient powerhouses almonds and spinach respectively. Lastly, due to the protein denaturing, ion exchange has noticeable flavor differences. Ion exchange protein tastes processed; salty with less dairy notes.

Membrane filtration is a cold temperature processing method that allows for the production of a high protein finished whey where the protein remains intact (undenatured) and is not treated with chemical reagents. Membrane filtration uses a filter with different pore sizes which allows carbohydrates and minerals in raw whey to pass through and retain the whey protein. While concentrating the proteins membrane filtration does not change the protein profile of naturally occurring whey proteins, where as ion exchange changes the protein profile and selectively takes away the more beneficial bioactives like alphalactalbumin and other components, which are the most valuable components of whey and have functions like stress relieving, faster recovery and immune development. Membrane filtration is century long technology that is similar to the one used in water filtration at home and works by size exclusion to retain those valuable components of whey.

Membrane filtration yields a high protein product with a small amount of naturally occurring fat, lactose and minerals, for which the micronutrients are biologically active. Membrane filtration whey tastes as it should, clean with pleasant, native dairy notes.

Membrane filtration and ion exchange yield nutritional differences in their finished ingredients, and for anyone paying a pretty penny for whey protein and their health and fitness, I think that membrane filtration is the superior product. The extremely low carbs in ion exchange protein may not be worth losing the bioactivity of whey protein and it’s micronutrients.

That image comes from the protein spec on Davisco's BiPro WPI. It's an Ion Exchange whey, it's expensive as hell, but it's a high quality product.
ooooh ...see what you said above, about info sourcing... ;)

I'm like you though in the food regard, I enjoy eating, who the hell doesn't like steak?
I don't really drink many protein supplements, and I drink quite a bit of milk every day anyway, but as my overall consumption of protein products has gone down, my choosiness has gone up.
food is king
but I do use powders as well, and no I don't buy just whatever is on sale
quality is important, I agree....that said, if we are not living off powders, and simply utilizing them in some smaller fashion as they are really intended to be consumed, then we are probably just splitting hairs on this whole topic of which method is "better" :)

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A product spec sheet with the standardization info for an ingredient is a statement of fact, sales copy for a companies finished product can be full of exaggerations and opinions, and fuzzy statements about what is 'better'

--

Unless a lab spec is provided, any statement about a given product being 'superior' off processing merit alone is kind of useless.

Good brands put high quality ingredients in their product, bad brands don't. Most supp companies dont have an employee who could even tell you a difference.