Giving People Advice.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I guess my skin is just thicker than others...it's way too easy to brush off unwanted responses of any kind, about any random subject, instead of entertaining strangers with insults....but I work in Corrections, outnumbered 100+ to 1 at times, I shouldn't expect others to be on my same wavelength.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
and it's always easier for mentally weak people like you to throw insults around on the internet.....it's not like you can hold a candle to a single session of mine in the weight room, even on my worst day.
Your right, about the gym I'm not a power lifter, and never want to be. I do this for my health, and recovery, and a better me. And as far as mentally weak, and insults over the internet. I'd tell you the same thing to your face. Cause you cant be mentally weak when you once killed people for a living. I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of Freedom.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
fat-guy-gif-6.gif

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never have anyone come up to me giving advice, but I tend to get college aged guys asking for advice around each holiday when they start coming back home. My response is always pretty generic and canned because I know the chances of them actually listening and doing anything is low and I really don't consider myself an expert- I just know what works for me.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Your right, about the gym I'm not a power lifter, and never want to be. I do this for my health, and recovery, and a better me. And as far as mentally weak, and insults over the internet. I'd tell you the same thing to your face. Cause you cant be mentally weak when you once killed people for a living. I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of Freedom.
I don't have to powerlift to out work you in the weight room, or serve in the Military to be more of an American...just like anyone willing to get off their couch and at a minimum show up to the gym, shouldn't have to worry about being bashed, regardless of how annoying they may be......unless they go to Planet Fitness.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the topic is in that context of seriousness. Were just talking. Really who cares... I don't care. Like f*** you and f*** all you fat bastards here at AM. :laugh:

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't have to powerlift to out work you in the weight room, or serve in the Military to be more of an American...just like anyone willing to get off their couch and at a minimum show up to the gym, shouldn't have to worry about being bashed, regardless of how annoying they may be......unless they go to Planet Fitness.
Whats wrong with Planet Fitness, if its close to where you live, and it has weights. It can always be a Place to lift if needed, and you can go back to your regular gym when time is afforded. Either way it gets you into the gym, and I never miss a day unless its an off day.
Plus, have you even ever seen any of the work I put in the gym.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Whats wrong with Planet Fitness, if its close to where you live, and it has weights. It can always be a Place to lift if needed, and you can go back to your regular gym when time is afforded. Either way it gets you into the gym, and I never miss a day unless its an off day.
Planet Fitness is exactly what's wrong with the Industry....it's existence, metaphorically speaking, is the same as the overweight stranger that approached OP and gave advice.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Planet Fitness is exactly what's wrong with the Industry....it's existence, metaphorically speaking, is the same as the overweight stranger that approached OP and gave advice.
I personally dont think so, because whether its Planet Fitness or Golds either way people are going in there and putting in work to try to better themselves. But, when your just starting out, it is ill advised to come up to someone again whether it's Planet Fitness or Venice Beach to walk up and give advice to someone in better shape than you.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Planet Fitness is a business. And a very successful one at that. Whether or not you agree with their business model is neither here nor there.

Just stopped in to point that out.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don't think the topic is in that context of seriousness. Were just talking. Really who cares... I don't care. Like f*** you and f*** all you fat bastards here at AM. :laugh:
WTH! LMAO!

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I personally dont think so, because whether its Planet Fitness or Golds either way people are going in there and putting in work to try to better themselves. But, when your just starting out, it is ill advised to come up to someone again whether it's Planet Fitness or Venice Beach to walk up and give advice to someone in better shape than you.
PF literally pushes the logic that "gyms" that have higher percentages of "in shape" people, discourage those not in shape from working to get in shape...I've been to plenty of real hardcore gyms, including Iron Sport, where world class athletes have absolutely no issue lending a helping hand...it's usually the mediocre people who think having abs and benching more than they squat, make them superior and immune to any and all interjection.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I ‘am a recovering obese person and when I was obese there is No Way! I will walk up to a guy that’s in better shape than I’am,and give him advice while he’s working out...

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
PF literally pushes the logic that "gyms" that have higher percentages of "in shape" people, discourage those not in shape from working to get in shape...I've been to plenty of real hardcore gyms, including Iron Sport, where world class athletes have absolutely no issue lending a helping hand...it's usually the mediocre people who think having abs and benching more than they squat, make them superior and immune to any and all interjection.
Well then my Planet Fitness by my house must be screwed up. Cause there are more in shape people there, than people that just go to go, or old people doing rehab. And nobody is discouraged. The old people doing rehab go in the early morning, then the overweight trying to get in shape mainly go during the middle of the day, and most of the in shape people and a few old people and beginners go in the evenings. And if its to crowded I go 10 mins in the opposite direction and hit the Rec Center with my wife. Or go to Victory Gym and go lift with my brothers in arms, police, fire fighters, and EMT's. Or when my buddy is in town with his fiancee we go train at Oakwood gym that was started by Mr Michigan.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I ‘am a recovering obese person and when I was obese there is No Way! I will walk up to a guy that’s in better shape than I’am,and give him advice while he’s working out...
your will to change for the better is far greater than most...there's a reason why the obesity rate in this country is astronomical.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;yhDcjlYrwmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDcjlYrwmQ[/video]

smh...

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;xBtqc8tpugU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBtqc8tpugU[/video]

Shaw using those machines is funny as hell.....and they actually did get kicked out by an employee who admitted to being very intimidated and scared to approach them.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
True. Just because somebody doesn't follow their own advice, doesn't automatically make that advice incorrect. To me it's always amazing the confidence that some people give their advice with, but then are simply too lazy to follow up their words with action for themselves.

it is interesting that many soso or even non-players become exceptional coaches on a professional level.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it is interesting that many soso or even non-players become exceptional coaches on a professional level.
Very true! Some people love the knowledge or strategy side of things, but don't have the talent to be a good player or just don't want to put in the work. Similar thing happens in business and consulting too: the boss isn't always the best.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Very true! Some people love the knowledge or strategy side of things, but don't have the talent to be a good player or just don't want to put in the work. Similar thing happens in business and consulting too: the boss isn't always the best.
I have a saying on this subject, it’s ‘the best managers aren’t often those that were the best players, but it helps if they at least played the game’ - I’m in the uk so instinctively think of football. Honestly can’t name one manager who didn’t play at some moderate level.

Same is true in fitness imo. Yes you can read all the theory but unless you’ve put it into practice to some degree how can you advise someone else on the mental side of nutrition or lifting. Or detail what a lift should feel like, or know where rpe is at. Experience is everything, first and foremost personal, and then as a coach.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I have a saying on this subject, it’s ‘the best managers aren’t often those that were the best players, but it helps if they at least played the game’ - I’m in the uk so instinctively think of football. Honestly can’t name one manager who didn’t play at some moderate level.

Same is true in fitness imo. Yes you can read all the theory but unless you’ve put it into practice to some degree how can you advise someone else on the mental side of nutrition or lifting. Or detail what a lift should feel like, or know where rpe is at. Experience is everything, first and foremost personal, and then as a coach.
exactly why the new fad of online coaching in weight training is such a joke.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’am at the Gym working out,and a Guy walked up and start giving Me advice about training. I listen to him,and at the end of his conversation. I turn to him and said, Look at You, and look at Me. This guy was like 275lbs overweight and trying to give Me advice. Please!

It’s a lot of Guys always giving people advice and they are not in shape, nor produce self progression.

Have This every happen to You at the Gym, or here on AM?
LOL! Giving YOU advise? That is hilarious! I once had a guy who was criticizing me on my form doing bent over rows. I had 4 plates on the bar. I stepped aside and ask him to show me the "correct" form. He couldn't even lift it from the ground, LOL. That was the end of the conversation.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
LOL! Giving YOU advise? That is hilarious! I once had a guy who was criticizing me on my form doing bent over rows. I had 4 plates on the bar. I stepped aside and ask him to show me the "correct" form. He couldn't even lift it from the ground, LOL. That was the end of the conversation.
Lol!!

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Am I the only one that noticed this guy is saying you all should be nicer to the fat guy giving bad advice, just to start insulting Planet Fitness, then say that it’s the same thing?

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Am I the only one that noticed this guy is saying you all should be nicer to the fat guy giving bad advice, just to start insulting Planet Fitness, then say that it’s the same thing?
met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
No.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
Um, thanks? Let me try again.

You said, “it’s the same”. Am I wrong? Should we look up “same” in the dictionary as well? It looks like you and I are interpreting it differently.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Although i admit its annoying to have someone whos not in as good of shape as i am to try to give unsolicited advice im not gonna put someone down for not looking as good as me. Ill take the advice if it sounds legit and its something i didnt know. If not i would just say I'm good, thanks. It doesnt happen at my gym much but i have had our trainer give me some advice on benching form when i asked him to spot me once when i was going heavy and hes not in great shape but you can tell he has been in good shape before and is very knowledgable. Just because someone doesnt look it doesnt mean they dont know what theyre talking about. This guy i know has been a trainer for 15 years from talking to him afterwards and sometimes people just lose motivation for being in peak aesthetic condition which is fine. Health is one thing but aesthetics is just vanity really

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Although i admit its annoying to have someone whos not in as good of shape as i am to try to give unsolicited advice im not gonna put someone down for not looking as good as me. Ill take the advice if it sounds legit and its something i didnt know. If not i would just say I'm good, thanks. It doesnt happen at my gym much but i have had our trainer give me some advice on benching form when i asked him to spot me once when i was going heavy and hes not in great shape but you can tell he has been in good shape before and is very knowledgable. Just because someone doesnt look it doesnt mean they dont know what theyre talking about. This guy i know has been a trainer for 15 years from talking to him afterwards and sometimes people just lose motivation for being in peak aesthetic condition which is fine. Health is one thing but aesthetics is just vanity really
But bro, didn’t you know that if your aesthetically pleasing you know all the things?!

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Um, thanks? Let me try again.

You said, “it’s the same”. Am I wrong? Should we look up “same” in the dictionary as well? It looks like you and I are interpreting it differently.
"it's existence, metaphorically speaking, is the same as the overweight stranger that approached OP and gave advice."

you're not just interpreting it differently, you obviously read it incorrectly as well....PF literally has no standards of fitness levels for the "trainers", so every time they approach to "help", it would mirror the exact same experience OP began this thread with.

put it this way...if a Jehovah's Witness knocked on you door, you'd have the same options, metaphorically speaking as someone out of shape approaching you with advice...you can either ignore the knock at your door, answer the door, listen and accept their literature, or act like a child and belittle them by telling them your religion is better.

I tend to only treat ignorant people, in person, with similar ignorance...like I said, if you can achieve some incredible feat by strictly acting out of ignorance, then so be it....but you're not special...and neither am I.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Take 3: “it would mirror the exact same experience OP began this thread with.”

So, earlier it was fine, but when it happens at Planet Fitness, it’s unacceptable?

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Take 3: “it would mirror the exact same experience OP began this thread with.”

So, earlier it was fine, but when it happens at Planet Fitness, it’s unacceptable?
what are you talking about? ..the original PF comment was meant to strictly be a comedic jab at PF,...when PF was defended, I brought up the fact that if you're not okay with being approached by out of shape people preaching advice, then how could you deal with going to PF regularly, if almost every "trainer" there is never in the best shape..

yet somehow, my comment "belittling" PF, is the same as an actual person being bashed....??

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But bro, didn’t you know that if your aesthetically pleasing you know all the things?!
This is true. I am asked,usually by those who are visibly untrained, what my routine is or how I got my build. I am not strong or huge. Only symmetrical in build. Not too common to see very visibly fit males in my age cohort.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
a lot of former pro-bodybuilders look like crap...doesn't mean if one of them were to offer me some lifting/training advice I wouldn't listen.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
a lot of former pro-bodybuilders look like crap...doesn't mean if one of them were to offer me some lifting/training advice I wouldn't listen.
Yeah thats exactly what I'm saying

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This how I looked at the situation. You’re at a restaurant and eating a delicious steak. Guy walk over to your table and say, you are cutting your steak wrong,and this is the proper way of doing it. Wait until the right moment to approach someone and address them..

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
This how I looked at the situation. You’re at a restaurant and eating a delicious steak. Guy walk over to your table and say, you are cutting your steak wrong,and this is the proper way of doing it. Wait until the right moment to approach someone and address them..
Some people dont get it and get emotional about nothing. Wtf can you do? Its part of the mix. I think its just context tho.

Personaly, I thought it was funny you said look at me and look you. LMFAO.
Considering he interupted you. The setting was in a gym with a bunch of doods slamming weights. F*** everyone there who cares lol

I just notice something too, that i didnt pick up earlier. I think theres more of a misunderstanding. So you were working out and this guy out of no where comes up to you and starts chatting you up???

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Yoooohooo Beast73 open your eyes �� �� ��

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some people dont get it and get emotional about nothing. Wtf can you do? Its part of the mix. I think its just context tho.

Personaly, I thought it was funny you said look at me and look you. LMFAO.
Considering he interupted you. The setting was in a gym with a bunch of doods slamming weights. F*** everyone there who cares lol

I just notice something too, that i didnt pick up earlier. I think theres more of a misunderstanding. So you were working out and this guy out of no where comes up to you and starts chatting you up???
That’s Exactly,what happen.. Lol!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote