Unanswered Getting as big and strong as possible

DS3317

Awards
how many of you have said screw aesthetics and abs and set a goal to simply get as big and strong as possible? That’s what I’m doing now. I feel like far too many people forget that in order to actually get big they need to forget about higher volume fluff work and just concentrate on getting progressing weight in their lifts.
If you don’t have at least a 300lb bench you shouldn’t worry about a fly etc.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im focusing on getting stronger at the moment, but not to the extent of throwing caution to the wind and getting fat. For me, its all about aesthetics, but getting stronger will help add quality mass.

DS3317

Awards
Im focusing on getting stronger at the moment, but not to the extent of throwing caution to the wind and getting fat. For me, its all about aesthetics, but getting stronger will help add quality mass.
I’m definitely not wanting to be obese. No old school west side barbell diets for me lol but I am pushing the food to semi uncomfortable levels. Been reading a lot of Jordan Peters stuff. I’m definitely keeping an eye on my blood work and getting tested monthly.
What’s your current routine looking like?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m definitely not wanting to be obese. No old school west side barbell diets for me lol but I am pushing the food to semi uncomfortable levels. Been reading a lot of Jordan Peters stuff. I’m definitely keeping an eye on my blood work and getting tested monthly.
What’s your current routine looking like?
Started doggcrapp about a month ago. Like it so far.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
how many of you have said screw aesthetics and abs and set a goal to simply get as big and strong as possible? That’s what I’m doing now. I feel like far too many people forget that in order to actually get big they need to forget about higher volume fluff work and just concentrate on getting progressing weight in their lifts.
If you don’t have at least a 300lb bench you shouldn’t worry about a fly etc.
When I was younger absolutely!!! I NEVER trained abs. Focused all on compound movements and lifting BIG weights. Than I got older and realized how important it is to have a strong core and incorporate workouts to build a strong one. That, and I started having joint problems lol!

I've had a ton of old timers tell me not to waste my time trying to lift heavy and get big. It will only lead to more injuries/messed up joints. Just my opinion. Also I think size really comes with time. When I was younger I had to be HUGE now! I would take sdrol, and yes blow up and it was great! I loved lifting heavy, eating everything and feeling huge. But over time it weared down my joints and body. And I'm not that old!

Maybe get "huge" for a little, but don't make it your one and only goal.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely need to get a little fluffy to get big as possible. How fat you are willing to get is individual though, and the fatter you get the further you have to dig back out of that later. Seth Feroce has some good vids discussing bulking.

Dave Tate said the mantra at Westside was to keep getting bigger until your total stopped progressing, then cut down 1-2 weightclasses and that was your optimal size.

Most of the 231lb pro strongmen I have met get up to 255-280 in their off-seasons and then diet back to 240s for comp (cutting water from there to make 231).

Regardless of strength sport, the bulk & cut is a real thing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly, strong and healthy is my Main goal right now. Sure, bigger muscles would be a nice side benefit. But my goal right now is to work on a 1300 pound total and weigh under 180.

In my case I have been focusing on squats, bench press, military presses and pull ups. Honestly, this is about all I do. This has worked out because I focus on the squat one night, bench the next, military the next and I work in pull ups at home during the day. I have a lot going on and limited time so this plan was out of necessity a little.

But out of that necessity and focus (and some Ev9muse BMP) I have been growing my PRs and I am still going. I have to add about 100 pounds to my squat, dead and bench each to hit 1300, it I have learned you may be right - if you can't bench 300 forget flyes. If you can't squat 400, forget extensions.

DS3317

Awards
A lot of what I’ve learned that is working for me is low volume progressive weights. What works most for me came from reading Dante Trudel and Jordan Peters.
Progressive weights and progressive eating. Anytime I tried a higher volume approach I regressed in size and strength. I ran a meadows program and it drove me into the dirt.
I’m actually running a very minimal amount of gear but getting stronger than I’ve ever been. It’s like something just clicked. Also joints feel healthier too. I just want to push it for a year or 2 atleast maybe more and then cut down.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A lot of what I’ve learned that is working for me is low volume progressive weights. What works most for me came from reading Dante Trudel and Jordan Peters.
Progressive weights and progressive eating. Anytime I tried a higher volume approach I regressed in size and strength. I ran a meadows program and it drove me into the dirt.
I’m actually running a very minimal amount of gear but getting stronger than I’ve ever been. It’s like something just clicked. Also joints feel healthier too. I just want to push it for a year or 2 atleast maybe more and then cut down.
As long as you know you can do the dieting at the end. That’s a real conversation you have to have with yourself.

DS3317

Awards
As long as you know you can do the dieting at the end. That’s a real conversation you have to have with yourself.
Losing fat is easy and fast unless you’re weak minded.
Cutting diet will be cheap and easy. As much chicken, fish and greens as I want. With a lil bit of not butter 3xper day and 32oz of egg whites.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes because everyone has your body-type, genetics, metabolism, circumstances, knowledge, resources, etc., right?

DS3317

Awards
Yes because everyone has your body-type, genetics, metabolism, circumstances, knowledge, resources, etc., right?
I have average genetics. People give up because they can’t give up food and handle discomfort.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have average genetics. People give up because they can’t give up food and handle discomfort.
There is no such thing as "average genetics". They are unique by definition. Where did you learn about fat loss?

DS3317

Awards
There is no such thing as "average genetics". They are unique by definition. Where did you learn about fat loss?
Okay, I’ll agree with the unique thing but for the most part we’re not really special snow flakes. I’m not talking about getting stage ripped. Being fat with the exception of certain medical and health conditions is ultimately a choice.
If you put almost anyone on a low calorie diet and get them to exercise or move more than normal they will lose weight. It’s not complicated. How many fat people were discovered in concentration camps, given the fact that everyone is so unique? None.
Where did I learn about fatloss reading, experimenting on myself, learning from people that I know, common sense.
Gaining muscle and losing fat is not some complicated thing. I guess if I was selling services I would make it all seem like it was.
I’ve got some good prep coaches and competitors at my gym Madhouse and they pretty much all agree.
Getting in shape and looking good naked is no where near the same as getting ready for stage.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cutting diet will be cheap and easy. As much chicken, fish and greens as I want. With a lil bit of not butter 3xper day and 32oz of egg whites.
That’s great and all, but understand a lot of people don’t lose the weight. They get accustomed to the things they had to do to get to 308, and when it’s time to drop the extra sugars and fats they just say **** it I love being a water buffalo.

You sound like you have the right mentality though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s great and all, but understand a lot of people don’t lose the weight. They get accustomed to the things they had to do to get to 308, and when it’s time to drop the extra sugars and fats they just say **** it I love being a water buffalo.

You sound like you have the right mentality though.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As “big” as possible have never interested me (I’m 225lb so I might be big to some) but I always trying to get as strong as possible. I might do too much “fluff” though, I think I need to cut back on that.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t think your plan is wrong, actually it makes sense if you want to build some real size. As far as dieting, there are many variables. Will power and laziness aside, keep in mind that especially in body building , but also in general, a lot can happen in a few years. Maybe diagnosed with an auto immune issue, thyroid problem, injury that makes you immobile, digestive issues, heart problems etc etc etc.

DS3317

Awards
I don’t think your plan is wrong, actually it makes sense if you want to build some real size. As far as dieting, there are many variables. Will power and laziness aside, keep in mind that especially in body building , but also in general, a lot can happen in a few years. Maybe diagnosed with an auto immune issue, thyroid problem, injury that makes you immobile, digestive issues, heart problems etc etc etc.
Absolutely agree. I’m 34 and am prescribed t4 and also bentyl for stomach issues and nexium. It definitely comes down to experience and paying attention to everything.
Definitely enjoying my split. U/L/offU/L/off/repeat
Rotate 3 exercises for each body part all sets to failure. First set 4-6 reps, second set 15-20
Example today
Upper a
Incline Db bench 120x4, 80x15
Bb row 250x6
Dante cable row 110x20 3second negative
Single arm pulldown 70x19,140x3
Upright row plate loaded machine 90x7x2RP 3 second negative
Hammer dip 235x8
Body weight dip failure
Cable curl 80x15
Biceps were cramping so I called it a day so I could recover by next upper day

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I feel I am big enough, i prefer to have abs and be lean. Still the biggest guy in the gym (not that hard in Asia). But the leaner you are the bigger you look. Its all just a personal preference.

Unfortunately because i always lifted heavy i got some rotator cuff problems so I can't do as much as i want right now. I was always lifting heavy.. never thinking about rotator cuff or other problems. I would advise anyone to do some rotator cuff work just look at Atlean X for what you can do.

I was bullet proof until i was 44.. then the injuries started coming. Some get them later some earlier but if you don't do anything you will get them. Just my advice.

I used to lift at home got my own home gym (still do power rack, bumper plates, hex bar for dead-lifts lat pully / captains chair for abs and back).

IMHO you need to work your abs too if you ever want to have them and then dieting down.. the hardest part (that is if you really want to be lean). Most people don't realize how much weight you have to lose to get really lean.

DS3317

Awards
I feel I am big enough, i prefer to have abs and be lean. Still the biggest guy in the gym (not that hard in Asia). But the leaner you are the bigger you look. Its all just a personal preference.

Unfortunately because i always lifted heavy i got some rotator cuff problems so I can't do as much as i want right now. I was always lifting heavy.. never thinking about rotator cuff or other problems. I would advise anyone to do some rotator cuff work just look at Atlean X for what you can do.

I was bullet proof until i was 44.. then the injuries started coming. Some get them later some earlier but if you don't do anything you will get them. Just my advice.

I used to lift at home got my own home gym (still do power rack, bumper plates, hex bar for dead-lifts lat pully / captains chair for abs and back).

IMHO you need to work your abs too if you ever want to have them and then dieting down.. the hardest part (that is if you really want to be lean). Most people don't realize how much weight you have to lose to get really lean.
Doing heavy abs is one thing that’s helped my back problems. I always do them at the end on leg days. It helps with back pumps because it pulls the blood from the lower back to the abs. Learned that from John Meadows.