Form vs weight

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We all should be focused on how heavy we can lift without sacrificing on form. That being said, how many of you go heavy vs maybe doing a slow negative with like a 2-3 second hold at the bottom of the negative? Myself, I like to do both. Usually start my workout with heavy compound lifts then work my way into drop sets, rest pause ...etc while nailing form and really "feeling" the muscle work and focus on limiting accessory muscles helping.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
the real problem isn't necessarily form sacrifice as much as it is people not willing to admit poor form.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I apply TUT and good form on everything now. I didn't used to do that. I see much better results now using lighter weight, increased TUT, density and intensity techniques sparingly. On top of more progress I don't have tendon and joint issues anymore. For me it's a win win. People look at me funny when they see me holding a contracted rep for a period of time. Then I see them and they finish their set in about 5-10 seconds while mine usually take from 25-80 seconds

LDubs

LDubs

Awards
I have gotten much better results and less injuries by focusing on form and slow negatives than when I was solely concerned about how much weight was on the bar.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I get looks when I only have 135 on the squat rack but my legs are shaking and I wanna puke after lol

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well let's actually push this even further.....what's the purpose behind the lift and is that goal actually worth the sacrifice or form, or are you using the correct tempo for the adaptation your looking to achieve on the muscle.

For most people who have lifted long enough you realize that honestly you can have great results and even be lucky to never sustain a real injury using subpar form. I used to judge but then I really had to get over it and realize so many people have different leverages and preexisting compensations that it's impossible to use a one size fits all approach.

If we aren't willing to biomecanically examine a persons loaded or unloaded movement throughout a range of motion then we shouldn't judge too hard.

I for one DO NOT believe that certain intensities can be maintained with strict form, rather it's training with the pursuit of that form that builds the foundation and leads to a lesser chance of injury down the road.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've always been one to concentrate more on proper form over going excessively heavy and I honestly feel it is why I have been able to stay in the weight room for 25 years with very few minor setbacks due to injury. My mindset is that there is little to gain from sacrificing form just to add that extra 45 on the bar to wiggle and curve your way back up once or twice. Plus, I like working in weights that, as originally mentioned, I can feel and concentrate on each little squeeze.

That is why I love R/P training so much. Little increments that ultimately add up to a lot.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I like to do both as I believe it helps muscle confusion. If I find I've been just going balls to the wall for a few sessions I slow down and focus on mind muscle. If I find I'm becoming a form Nazi, it's nice to just go apesht once in a while.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My problem with form is "what is proper" obviously a kid in the squat rack looking like hes going to bend like a pretzel isn't proper.....but I can squat and then my partner could squat and have slightly different forms yet still perform the exercises safely and effectively....theres more than one way to skin a cat

I look at other sports....peyton manning has a throwing form and then phillip rivers has a throwing form....both get the job done and neither form is causing the player injury....lifting is no different, obviously theres really bad form when the person looks like they are going to die but to say one form is bad vs one form isn't based on minor differences or different tempos

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
proper form has more to do with certain leverage positions while actually performing the lift....take squat for example...people can change stance width, grip width, head position, elbow position, bar position, etc...but during the lift, the body typically has only one way to complete the lift in a safe and effective manner...hips should never rise before knees coming out of the hole, your upper torso position should never be compromised, your spine should stay in as close to a neutral position as possible, your knees should never cave excessively, etc etc...

same as with deadlift...hips should only move forward and "through" the bar, never hinge backwards and cause your upper body to become parallel with the floor, neutral spine, very little rounding specifically in your lower back, no Halloween Cat impersonations...but grip width, stance width, hip height, etc all can be individualized....but you can freeze frame almost all top lifters and see almost identical positioning while the lift is actually being completed...