Fiber sources

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have a salad every single day for lunch.
every.
single.
day.
for years. maybe a decade. I mix up the protein and carbs I add to it, but I get a full large 2+ servings of greens this way. It's cheap, easy, makes macros, and mundane....

if I were to drop the salad and do something else what other sources of fiber do y'all like?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oranges & apples have 4-5g for ~100 calories and some good micros.

Beans are a tremendous source, and you get some complex carbs and extra protein too.

Psyllium husk of course, just 1tsp daily will make a big difference in bowel regularity.

Uncooked baby carrots aren’t particularly high fiber, but they definitely help move digestion along better adding a few to a couple meals daily.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn’t stop the salads if you enjoy them though, FYI.
I'm just thinking of mixing it up some, my carbs are also pretty balanced and I'm thinking about moving them more towards late afternoon since I do breakfast at 6, lunch around 11-noon, and lift around 3-4pm.

I've found even just some sugar/dextrose thrown into my pre-workout adds a kick of energy.

I like the ideas though, even if I changed one meal a week to some beans, carrots, etc I could probably do well.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So not always, but in general darker vegetables have higher fiber content. Artichokes have the most per serving @8-10gm.

I don't know if you do oats for breakfast but a cup of oatmeal has 8 grams of fiber as well.

Then of course beans and lentils are high in fiber.

I think typically if someone's eating bodybuilder type of diet they're going to get their fiber in.

A lot of bodybuilders eat oats there's eight grams in a cup, then maybe three of your meals have a serving of broccoli or vegetables it's going to be another 12gm

Maybe you have rice and beans with your dinner and get another 10 G.

That's 30 gm fiber without really even trying.

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Problem solved, take it before bed
Think it works as well at night? I figured it would work better in morning because I can drink water all day and keep the psyllium moving as opposed to at night.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Think it works as well at night? I figured it would work better in morning because I can drink water all day and keep the psyllium moving as opposed to at night.
I'm pretty sure that they recommend taking it first thing in the morning or immediately before bed

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
would that give you the runs tho if taken regular?
No - See Below

When do you take it? My issue with it is I take so many damn supplements and psyllium screws with absorption of supplements so the only time I can really take it is before bed.
I take about 10 grams a day 5 with my morning Proats and 5 with my 9am Protein Pudding. I also take a Colon Health Product before bed every night. I will also add I have done this for over 10 years

Vitacost1.jpg

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What’s in your salad? In romaine/iceberg or other basic lettuce/mix, I doubt you’re getting much in fiber there.

When I aim for higher fiber I always do steamed cabbage, beans, or lentils. Throw some cabbage in your crockpot with your desired seasonings. It’s bomb.

Most of my fiber comes from oats, PBFit, and fruit (blueberries, strawberries, and craisins mostly), currently.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Psyllium is good but for me flax meal is near magical. Produces some massive movements the next day. I've also started using Lupin flakes and Lupin flour which is great for a low carb faux oatmeal and it's mostly fiber and protein. I also make protein sludge with it and it's great for baking.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dante is big on ground flax in his shakes or sludge, but I really don’t like the texture change.

Good omegas and a bit of fiber though.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When I used psyllium, I never had issues. I liked doing before bed actually, I always woke up to a huge solid bowel movement. Felt great! Just mix in a cup of juice, it actually tasted really good! It only seemed to need about 4 ounces or so of fluid, but I used more than that so I wouldn’t worry about fluid.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What’s in your salad? In romaine/iceberg or other basic lettuce/mix, I doubt you’re getting much in fiber there.

When I aim for higher fiber I always do steamed cabbage, beans, or lentils. Throw some cabbage in your crockpot with your desired seasonings. It’s bomb.

Most of my fiber comes from oats, PBFit, and fruit (blueberries, strawberries, and craisins mostly), currently.
I buy a bag of the coleslaw mix or the broccoli slaw mix and toss it with a bag of baby spinach.
Then if I further need to beef it up il ass the romaine or plain lettuce.

But the slaw mixture "esp broccoli slaw"and baby spin together make a great salad mix with lots of fiber and micronutrients

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dante is big on ground flax in his shakes or sludge, but I really don’t like the texture change.

I absolutely love it been doing it since mid 1990s but an acquired taste for sure.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I put that in my overnight oats

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I absolutely love it been doing it since mid 1990s but an acquired taste for sure.
Taste is good, I just hate that it’s like getting all of the little particles from the bottom of a bag of shredded wheat stuck in my teeth lol

I put that in my overnight oats
Flax is good in hot oats too, kinda melts it and makes it heartier for sure.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m interested in the health product. Link?
BillD im not tryin to be funny (yes...yes i AM!) :LOL: but it says it right there on the jug. google is your friend...my friend lol :p
edit for you: synergy colon health formula......type that into google search bar

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BillD im not tryin to be funny (yes...yes i AM!) :LOL: but it says it right there on the jug. google is your friend...my friend lol :p
edit for you: synergy colon health formula......type that into google search bar
Lmao I clearly had a moron moment! Found it and ordered it…been looking for something to help me stay regular so I’ll give it a try. Fiber supplements have been hit or miss for me. Reviews sounded promising.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lmao I clearly had a moron moment! Found it and ordered it…been looking for something to help me stay regular so I’ll give it a try. Fiber supplements have been hit or miss for me. Reviews sounded promising.
lol good job! :) glad you got it buddy

lamarclark09

Awards
Fiber is present in beans, avocados, Apple, whole grains, popcorns, and dried fruits. But I most like the dried fruits and avocados.