Fasted Weight Lifting/Strength Training

SaluteTheSig

SaluteTheSig

Awards
So, I was doing a search on the most recent threads discussing fasted training to get a feel for what it is people are taking prior to their fasted sessions (not including cardio) and it seems like a pre-workout and amino acids (namely BCAAs) are the norm across the board.

I was seeking some feedback from those of you who either train fasted or have done so in the past with success:

• What (if anything) do you take prior to your workout?
  • How long after waking/before working out do you take it?
  • How long was your workout duration?
  • Any other feedback or thoughts you'd like to include?
I have been doing calisthenics for some time and have taken quite a liking to a Bulletproof-style coffee approach (i.e. freshly grounded coffee with grass-fed butter). I also take several noots such as Oxiracetam, Piracetam, and AlphaGPC along with Theanine and this has worked very well for me.

I will be commencing a weight training regimen this week & was thinking of adding a little bit of raw bee honey (for carbs) to this mix.

Looking forward to all your feedback!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I train fasted every morning. Only things I take are bcaa's and a preworkout (when I feel I need it. Sometimes I skip it).

Usually take it as soon as I get up and it takes me about 25min to get dressed and such and get to the gym. I don't really time it out tho as its not a big deal.

Workouts are usually right about an hour, give or take 10-15min

Personally, I feel great if I train fasted in the morning; however, if I try to fast all day and train in the late afternoon or evening my workouts suffer a ton

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer to train fasted when possible. It does not have any negative effects on my training. In fact, I enjoy it more. Even if I have a meal 2-3 hours pre workout, I can feel sluggish from time to time. Like boone, I take BCAA and pre workout, if needed. I also make sure to drink plenty of water before training.

I would only train fasted if training before noon, like boone, I would probably not be able to have a good training session if training fasted after being up all day.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
Been training fasted for a while now, and I wake up, have my pre workout drink and normally in the gym 20-30 min later. I also like to start sipping on my protein shake about half way through my workout.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
Over the past few months I have incorporated intermittent fasting to my diet. I essentially try not eat my first meal until 12-14 hours past my last meal (dinner). Because of my work schedule (I work midnight to noon), my last meal is typically around 2 p.m. and my first meal will be around 6 a.m. When I get into work, I'll have a couple cups of coffee with heavy cream or whole milk. I really want to try the bulletproof coffee, but that'll have to wait until I get home from this deployment.

I usually workout around 4 a.m. for at least an hour, usually an hour and a half to two hours, depending on what muscles I'm hitting. All I take prior is a pre workout. It can be a bit rough when you first start, but your body will adjust pretty quickly. Post workout I'll have a protein shake, then usually 20-30 min later I'll head over to the dfac and get some breakfast (lunch actually). I've noticed some very good gains (loss of fat mostly) from this routine. Not sure how long I'll stick with it, but so far so good.

MBZ

Awards
I've done it before and had ok success but I'm just one of those people who perform better with food in my stomach. Sometimes when I'm cutting I'll train fasted though.