Fasted Training - EAAs?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lately, my wife and I have had to train fasted shortly after waking and it’s just too soon to eat a meal first. I’m looking for an EAA supplement that we could use during training that doesn’t have sucralose. I’ve looked around but the first 10 products by the companies I trust all have sucralose in there. I’ve tried BulkSupplements BCAAs at 10g and it made me nauseous as hell. I’m guessing that was due to it was on an empty stomach because I used to drink 20g BCAAs during training years ago no problem between lunch and dinner. The reviews on bulksupplements EAAs sound particularly unpleasant so I haven’t tried theirs yet. Trying to see what else is out there first!

Reactions: 00A

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nutrabio EAA Natural

Core ABC Natural (BCAA and not a EAA, but figured you weren't super picky on that part).

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
EAA's taste pretty awful once you pass a certain mg amount on certain ones ex methionine. If you are going to eat immediately after training I would not worry about it TBH. truenutrition brand has a plain non sweetened as well and then you can get a stevia based mio like product or stevia like crystal lite product, true lemon works well for amino flavoring.

aman88

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Nutrabio EAA Natural

Core ABC Natural (BCAA and not a EAA, but figured you weren't super picky on that part).
Have you tried nutrabio eaa natural? I liked their natural bcaa lemon flavored.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Kiwi strawberry Intra Blast (Natural) was quite good, so I bet their strictly EAA is solid

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
00A

00A

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lately, my wife and I have had to train fasted shortly after waking and it’s just too soon to eat a meal first. I’m looking for an EAA supplement that we could use during training that doesn’t have sucralose. I’ve looked around but the first 10 products by the companies I trust all have sucralose in there. I’ve tried BulkSupplements BCAAs at 10g and it made me nauseous as hell. I’m guessing that was due to it was on an empty stomach because I used to drink 20g BCAAs during training years ago no problem between lunch and dinner. The reviews on bulksupplements EAAs sound particularly unpleasant so I haven’t tried theirs yet. Trying to see what else is out there first!
Fucking sucralose they put in everything artifical sugars messing up the gut

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You could also have a small shake if you get up to pee at night. 25-50g of casein would still be providing aminos if you had it half way though the night....this assumes a 6-8 hour sleep cycle.

If you have not experienced a drop in performance I honestly would not worry about it. Not sure where you are in this journey but the more I fast, not eat all the fricking time the more I realize how little I need to maintain. Of course I spent years building so....

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No I don't feel the need to use natural flavored products or avoid sucralose so I haven't. The normal EAAs and Intrablast taste great though so I bet it is solid.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
purple wraath is the best EAA i've tried, but not sure of sweetener used?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you have not experienced a drop in performance I honestly would not worry about it. Not sure where you are in this journey but the more I fast, not eat all the fricking time the more I realize how little I need to maintain. Of course I spent years building so....
I know that’s what all the research is saying now. Total protein intake only matters...protein timing doesn’t, meal spacing no big deal (assuming enough time to let MPS drop), etc. I’ve been following this line of thinking for a few years now and as well as keto is just fine for muscle maintenance but the truth is I’m far weaker and smaller than when I started Keto and following that line of research. So, I’ll at least be trying this and done with keto for a while. Time to rebuild!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I know that’s what all the research is saying now. Total protein intake only matters...protein timing doesn’t, meal spacing no big deal (assuming enough time to let MPS drop), etc. I’ve been following this line of thinking for a few years now and as well as keto is just fine for muscle maintenance but the truth is I’m far weaker and smaller than when I started Keto and following that line of research. So, I’ll at least be trying this and done with keto for a while. Time to rebuild!
I am pretty sure I understand what you are saying and I am not saying total doesn't matter, but that definitely isn't what the research states. Total > Timing doesn't mean timing doesn't matter at all.

The research definitely still leans towards hitting several, (evenly) spread out meals, with adequate protein in each of these feedings to maximize gains.

The body is highly adaptable though and there is a large continuum of needs and nuance and I don't want to get too off track when I you probably don't disagree anyways.

In short I think getting something in if you are going to train fasted is pretty beneficial. You could also always try an easy digesting Whey too in this scenario, but I do prefer EAA during training anyways.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am pretty sure I understand what you are saying and I am not saying total doesn't matter, but that definitely isn't what the research states. Total > Timing doesn't mean timing doesn't matter at all.

The research definitely still leans towards hitting several, (evenly) spread out meals, with adequate protein in each of these feedings to maximize gains.

The body is highly adaptable though and there is a large continuum of needs and nuance and I don't want to get too off track when I you probably don't disagree anyways.

In short I think getting something in if you are going to train fasted is pretty beneficial. You could also always try an easy digesting Whey too in this scenario, but I do prefer EAA during training anyways.
You said it all much better than I did 😂

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nutrabio EAA Natural

I don’t know these companies...do you trust them to put in what they say they do?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Over the last couple of years that you saw the drop off did you:

1. Keep the total calories the same when switching to keto?
2. Have you seen an improvement in body comp?
3. Use the same amount of hormones/supps that support strength?
4. Have you been using all the same recovery protocols: stress the same as pre keto, sleep the same, life, in general, better or the same?

Some things to consider are that had you switched to a deficit(I am assuming you were eating in a deficit if doing keto) but had you used a low fat higher carb diet you MAY have seen a similar drop in strength, something to think about. Also I do not know your age but a few years unfortunately at a certain point MAY play a role in a strength decrease.

I AM NOT A ZEALOT when it comes to the way I like to eat/train. I DO believe many can build strength and muscle doing a keto/carnivorish IF/Warrior style of eating/living. I also know that for many consuming the required volume of food can be difficult to do on such a plan and those who fight for every once of bodyweight and strength may perhaps be better suited to use a carb-based 5+ daily feeding plan.

Despite my preferences, I do believe eating every three hours with a mod to high carb plan to be the fastest way to get from point A to point B. IT WAS HOW I BUILT MOST MY MASS and I don't forget that.

Regardless of what you do dietary wise I still do not believe a single EAA/BCAA will make or break if you are eating immediately post-workout and had a solid food mean before bed the night before and making sure to get plenty for the remainder of the day. I personally DO NOT fast if I lift in the AM, I eat all damn day as I do believe the timing is important as well.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t know these companies...do you trust them to put in what they say they do?
Yes. NutraBio in particular is very open about what they do to follow proper protocols and probably why they tend to be slightly more expensive.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes. NutraBio in particular is very open about what they do to follow proper protocols and probably why they tend to be slightly more expensive.
GMP is right on their webpage too for Nutrabio

Doug Miller from CORE also has 3rd party tests on his products he has posted them a few times on his social media.
Both are very open and legit companies. Agree 100%

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Over the last couple of years that you saw the drop off did you:

1. Keep the total calories the same when switching to keto?
2. Have you seen an improvement in body comp?
3. Use the same amount of hormones/supps that support strength?
4. Have you been using all the same recovery protocols: stress the same as pre keto, sleep the same, life, in general, better or the same?

Some things to consider are that had you switched to a deficit(I am assuming you were eating in a deficit if doing keto) but had you used a low fat higher carb diet you MAY have seen a similar drop in strength, something to think about. Also I do not know your age but a few years unfortunately at a certain point MAY play a role in a strength decrease.

I AM NOT A ZEALOT when it comes to the way I like to eat/train. I DO believe many can build strength and muscle doing a keto/carnivorish IF/Warrior style of eating/living. I also know that for many consuming the required volume of food can be difficult to do on such a plan and those who fight for every once of bodyweight and strength may perhaps be better suited to use a carb-based 5+ daily feeding plan.

Despite my preferences, I do believe eating every three hours with a mod to high carb plan to be the fastest way to get from point A to point B. IT WAS HOW I BUILT MOST MY MASS and I don't forget that.

Regardless of what you do dietary wise I still do not believe a single EAA/BCAA will make or break if you are eating immediately post-workout and had a solid food mean before bed the night before and making sure to get plenty for the remainder of the day. I personally DO NOT fast if I lift in the AM, I eat all damn day as I do believe the timing is important as well.
I don’t necessarily believe EAAs prior to fasted training will be the only variable to make or break gains either. But I do think when taking all the smaller details such as total protein being on the higher end of Stronger By Science recommendation between 1.8-2.4g per kg of body weight, more protein meals to stimulate MPS (4-5 instead of 3), aminos of some kind around fasted training, etc that could make a difference of where my natural limit could be.

Andto answer the questions, no; nothing has been quite the same. Too much cutting overall, and I don’t think I’m better off than I was when I started the cutting journey. I might be 220, but I think I still looked better at 230. It’s been a funny 8 years, starting at 272, down to 232, then 251, 242, 220, 202, 215, 207, now back to 220.
To give you an idea, my strongest was at body weight 251 doing standing OHP at 225 for 2 and DL at 525 for 1 now at body weight 220 standing OHP is 165 for 2 and DL at 455 for 1.