Expired protein powder, your thoughts?

E

Em3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So I recently found a deal that I thought was too good to be true and of course it was.

Amazon had a listing for "Myprotein" "Natural Vanilla" Whey. It was an 11 lb bag for $40.

So I placed the order because it had/has free returns in case I am unhappy.

So here is the fun stuff.
-Well it arrived. I would of swore it had said Isolate but the listing doesn't anymore or never did, ok not to big of deal.
-It isn't a natural vanilla flavor, its just their standard Vanilla
-The product expired 5/2021

What's yalls opinion on the safety/condition? I can deal with it not being isolate or the correct flavor is obviously the price point is just insanely good. Just uncertain about the expiration. Looking for opinions.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I recently found a deal that I thought was too good to be true and of course it was.

Amazon had a listing for "Myprotein" "Natural Vanilla" Whey. It was an 11 lb bag for $40.

So I placed the order because it had/has free returns in case I am unhappy.

So here is the fun stuff.
-Well it arrived. I would of swore it had said Isolate but the listing doesn't anymore or never did, ok not to big of deal.
-It isn't a natural vanilla flavor, its just their standard Vanilla
-The product expired 5/2021

What's yalls opinion on the safety/condition? I can deal with it not being isolate or the correct flavor is obviously the price point is just insanely good. Just uncertain about the expiration. Looking for opinions.

I'd use it.

Reactions: Em3
jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Use it. Amazon warehouse has pretty good standards as far as storage goes. You'll be fine.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would use it. First it’s only a few months off. Second there are companies that just sell expired products and a deals. As long as stored properly you should be fine.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would use it. First it’s only a few months off. Second there are companies that just sell expired products and a deals. As long as stored properly you should be fine.
I'd say the same. Specifically for protein powders my cut off line is 6 months past expiration. After that i just toss it and get a new tub.

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ran into similar situation couple weeks ago.
Had about 5 tubs that I noticed expired.
Tossed them and remembered real food is always better for me....
I’m bias though against protein powder, from a dieting stance, drinking any calories is less filling than chewing food. So I’ll always opt for food.
Back in the day when my metabolism was great and I could eat whatever I wanted with out getting fat, hell yeah I’d drink 2-3 protein powder drinks a day...expired or not.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It and you will be fine!

S

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Using a tub now that's 1.5 yrs expired, tastes exactly the same as a fresh one. Zero issues.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the past I used protein powders even egg white proteins with expiry date past 5 years and the taste and quality (I guess) was the same.