Every 3 hours, seriously?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I know the reasoning behind why you're supposed to eat every 3 hours (periods of fed and fasting states and whatnot), but what studies show that if I eat some chickpeas for example then exactly 3 hours later I'm going to have to eat again or my body will go into the fasting state or my blood sugar levels will fall? Look at a lot of NBA players. I'm sure those guys don't eat every three hours (nor eat perfect) and a great deal of them are cut as hell. Is it really as concrete as saying that no matter what you eat you are going to have to eat three hours later for optimal health and blood sugar management? Shouldn't fiber, fat, and protein have to be factored in as well?

I know that Low GI foods release glucose into the blood slowly, but how slowly? Do black beans release glucose over 3, 4, 5 hours? Where are the studies that elucidate this?

fkngchucknorris

Awards
I know the reasoning behind why you're supposed to eat every 3 hours (periods of fed and fasting states and whatnot), but what studies show that if I eat some chickpeas for example then exactly 3 hours later I'm going to have to eat again or my body will go into the fasting state or my blood sugar levels will fall? Look at a lot of NBA players. I'm sure those guys don't eat every three hours (nor eat perfect) and a great deal of them are cut as hell. Is it really as concrete as saying that no matter what you eat you are going to have to eat three hours later for optimal health and blood sugar management? Shouldn't fiber, fat, and protein have to be factored in as well?

I know that Low GI foods release glucose into the blood slowly, but how slowly? Do black beans release glucose over 3, 4, 5 hours? Where are the studies that elucidate this?
I agree. With a lot of bodybuilding info, I think that you don't really need to do it, because you will still not get gains, but if you did the gains will be say 5% better. Dunno if that made sense but o well.

TheTom

Awards
  • Established
It becomes second nature after awhile. I been eating 6-7 meals a day now for like 4 years and its not a bother whatsoever anymore. I can always find a way to get a meal in no matter how busy I am, or what weird circumstance I am in.

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Just get into the habit of it and you will find ways to fit your meals in every 2-3hrs. Also, those NBA guys sprint so damn much that they are burning tons of calories. And they also probably eat a ton after the game when they are high as ****! lol

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
After 3 hours without food, your body will start cannibalizing it's own muscle. Every minute past 3 hours you lose a few more grams of your precious, hard earned muscle. :lol: Seriously though, I think you're right, there's no magic number, and surely it's dependant on the type of food (whole grains, fiber, fat content). I find that I get hungry every 3-4 hours though, and even if I'm not, I'll eat anyway, because I've got to get my cals in, and I don't like eating 1000 calories of CLEAN food at one sitting (that would be a lot of f-ing oatmeal and tuna!). The only exception would be if I have a big cheat meal. If I eat two homewreckers from Moe's, I won't be eating for at least 6 hours!

BIGPHILL1984

Awards
  • Established
Man those guys eat a **** load of food. It is just the cardio that keeps them in shape. Look at them when they get injured, they gain like 20 pounds of fat( SHAQ). The one who do eat healthy( Karl Malone) are alwasy in shape because of their diets. The same with NFL players. Shannon Sharpe and T.O( he used to live by me) eat extremely healthy and about every 2 hours. You will know a difference when you watch sports for many years.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I gotcha. I've never been into sports much so I can see what you mean BigPhill. Hunger for me is so weird though because I can eat all day, non-stop, even to the point of being painfully full and still be trying to find something to eat. But I'm always mentally hungry, always thinking about food and craving it that way, craving it's taste, but physically my stomach can be empty for hours and never feel hungry. Thanks for the responses fellas! You guys are all right :thumbsup:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It also matters how you're training and what your training for. Right now I'm not able to train much yet I can get away with 4-5 meals of smaller size and still stay at about the same bf% and amount of lbm, even with occassional intense cardio.

When I bulk I do notice a difference if I dont eat every 2-3 hours. Gains for me are slower and recovery takes longer. It's not a dramatic effect if I miss a meal here and there but when you're greedy for gains it's psychologically torturous.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you have a tough time with anabolism you need to hit every meal. With cutting, I think it might even be more important, not just to prevent catabolism, but to ward off binges. I'm cutting with Bobo and I've been hitting my meals almost 100%. I'm never hungry (too hungry:D) and I have not had a single bingefest. In the past, I would miss the occassional meal, then suddenly down 1500 calories, then not eat for 8 hours. Consistency=Success.

I should add that I bartend in a restaurant and am constantly surrounded by unhealthy food. Chocolate covered strawberries, tiramisu, cookies, pasta alfredo, etc. I walk right by it without a second thought.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Uhh after about an hour and a half I am looking for my next meal. If I go 3 hours without food I start to get week if I go5-6 hours without food its pass out time especially if I am outside working in the sun.

nodgodbod

Awards
I can be difficult to get to food with work and so on - you just have to prepare the food the night before and carry it with you - its a big pain having to explain to all the normal people why you eat so often . As far as needing to eat every 3 hours, my own experience has shown that I see the best gains when I get my meals in - if I miss a meal on a given day I tend to feel weaker in the gym as a result. Just my 0.02

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Strength definitely takes a big hit if I haven't been in a consistently fed state.