Election of 2012....Who ya got?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When did I say that? I don't really give a **** if people have sympathy for me or not, I don't need it. You're the one claiming teachers don't do that with your little numbers. Once again more "stats" of yours that don't tell any part of the story like the ones you tried to provide earlier about pay.

I know I work my ass off a lot for minimal pay. I know all my coworkers aren't living high on the hog. I'm just not really sure why some people seem to despise us so much. It isn't like its hard to get a teaching job. How come more people aren't breaking down the doors? Could it be because all of my friends with degrees wouldn't change places with me?

I mean if everyone has this idea that teaching is a glory gig that pays great and you'll live a life of luxury good news we have plenty of jobs open.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go lesson plan. I can't make 28,000 posts because I'm pretty damn busy with my job.
Sure, any math that doesn't agree with how you feel must obviously be wrong. Teachers have it easy for the money they get paid for the hours they have to work. The reason people aren't agressively fighting for those jobs? They'd rather have the more cash today in their pocket than work the less hours, or know they'll have guaranteed retirement.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Sure, any math that doesn't agree with how you feel must obviously be wrong. Teachers have it easy for the money they get paid for the hours they have to work. The reason people aren't agressively fighting for those jobs? They'd rather have the more cash today in their pocket than work the less hours, or know they'll have guaranteed retirement.
And any math that agrees with how you feel must be right?

So your argument is that teachers have it easy for the money they get paid and for the hours to work and then you think people wouldn't want that? Ok, keep dreaming. Must be easy to do when you have time for 28,000 posts yet claim to know so much about hard work.

You can get the last word as usual, it won't change the fact that you're talking a lot about a job you've never done. Then again I don't go around claiming to know everything about everyone else's job, but I guess that's just something a guy with your kind of time is free to do. I'm not an expert on farming just because I've passed a wheat field, but apparently you're an expert on teaching because you sat in a classroom twenty five years ago.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And any math that agrees with how you feel must be right?

So your argument is that teachers have it easy for the money they get paid and for the hours to work and then you think people wouldn't want that? Ok, keep dreaming. Must be easy to do when you have time for 28,000 posts yet claim to know so much about hard work.

You can get the last word as usual, it won't change the fact that you're talking a lot about a job you've never done. Then again I don't go around claiming to know everything about everyone else's job, but I guess that's just something a guy with your kind of time is free to do.
The hours you have to work are the hours you have to work, and the pay you get for them is commensurate for that number of hours. Saying teachers are low paid vs the private industry is a joke if you don't take into account days and hours worked. If the position wasn't salaried but hourly instead, the diference would be pretty apparent. Attacking me because of a post count doesn't change the dollars paid per hour worked, sorry.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
The hours you have to work are the hours you have to work, and the pay you get for them is commensurate for that number of hours. Saying teachers are low paid vs the private industry is a joke if you don't take into account days and hours worked. If the position wasn't salaried but hourly instead, the diference would be pretty apparent. Attacking me because of a post count doesn't change the dollars paid per hour worked, sorry.
I would LOVE to be paid by the hour. If I got paid by the hour for the average bachelor degree I would be making a ton more. The fact is I work a TON of hours for low pay. The contract is contracted time to be in the building. The extra amount of hours it takes to do the job is quite high. I'm surprised you don't know this, but then again how could I expect you to know that? You've never been a teacher. And attacking me because of my profession won't change that. So have a good one.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are atheists under-represented in prison populations? The crime rate decreased even as church attendance decreased. The last thing I want in office is some theocrat taking away everyone's liberties in the name of the Lord. Persecuting people who are different from them or believe in something different. I have no problem with my President being a religious man, but we need one that shoves it down your throat like I need a third eye.
How many people go to church means nothing. Being religious means squat as well. When I was referring to a man after God's own heart, I was referring to someone who isnt religious, who isnt judgmental, who genuinely gives a crap and prefers to do good over evil. Someone whose god isn't money...This is ultimately what the New Testament Christian is called to be like - someone that everyone can appreciate, whether ur an atheist or a God-fearing man. I'm simly saying that we have to have someone in there that does not let the love of money and power (greed) dictate his/her actions and decisions. Its that simple really. No need to get upset. If u disagree, well ok. It certainly wont make me waver in my opinion. I'm just defending what I see to be upright and fair and I'm simply looking for a presidential candidate the closely fits this image. BTW- atheism is under-represented for two reasons. 1) The Holy Bible is allowed in prison and is circulated in prisons. 2) The prison ministry is a common target for missionaries. Thus, meaning that there arent so many atheist in prison to begin with. Maybe they started out that way, but most were probably agnostic really..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not saying religious leaders will do any better, but someone with unwavering standards to be upright and someone who cares more about having a morally sound country will be a far better fit for leadership than someone who isn't. And right now, the guy that follows New Testament/ New Covenant Biblical guidance (not a religious prick) to me seems to be what we really need. There is a directly proportional curve with moral/spiritual decay and the downfall of this country's safety and economic growth.
Can you explain how we validate this person? So far between Catholics "Hide the pedophile priests" and all the other different scams and controversies in other religions where exactly we'll get someone we can be sure isn't just another huge douchebag wearing a frock and carrying a big cross?

Why are atheists under-represented in prison populations? The crime rate decreased even as church attendance decreased. The last thing I want in office is some theocrat taking away everyone's liberties in the name of the Lord. Persecuting people who are different from them or believe in something different. I have no problem with my President being a religious man, but we need one that shoves it down your throat like I need a third eye.
At least here I agree with you, although i'm not entirely sure whether there is a correlation relationship vs causal there. We don't need a fake prophet talking head, we've had plenty of that through history, actually our last 2 presidents are fine examples.

Comically as an agnostic, I have a problem with how people have chosen to use "freedom of religion" in thje constitution. When the constitution was signed, most of the states had their official religion and that was perfectly ok. That was put in the constitution to avoid having the federal government force a religion down everyones throats. But the states were still free to do as they wished, and if you didn't like your state's official religion, or how it handled it (school prayer, etc) you were free to move to another state.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I'm not gonna make it complicated or get into detail, imma' put it this way, ANYBODY BUT OBAMA WOULD BE GREAAAAT.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But in the private sector you can still without cause be laid off at any time, just after 90 days you are eligible for unemployment. And seccsi seems to want to make up reality here that the private sector jobs ate normally for life too, apparently never having worked in the private sector and ignoring what's happened to US employment the last 5 years. Once a teacher hits tenure its a real job for life, with virtually no chance of firing unless they go to jail for something
you and i both know that this is not entirely accurate. I know in Pa, a tenured teacher is two unsatisfactory reviews away from being let go

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy, you and I have talked about this before, and you are totally in the wrong here. Teachers get paid far less, and work many, many unpaid hours which is "required" for the job. I have spent more time (chaperoning, watching film for football, sitting on buses, prepping my classrooms in the summer, etc...) than I care to count.

I made far more money in the private sector, and at 5pm on friday went home and was thrilled. On Fridays now, all I wanna do is sleep. I am at work by 6:45am and on many days dont leave till after 4pm.

Are there those that take advantage? of course, but the same can be said of the private sector.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could there be a republican bias in the media? against one of their own? :lol:
The problem is that he's a libertarian, and has been consistent his whole career. Nobody in the media likes that.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy, you and I have talked about this before, and you are totally in the wrong here. Teachers get paid far less, and work many, many unpaid hours which is "required" for the job. I have spent more time (chaperoning, watching film for football, sitting on buses, prepping my classrooms in the summer, etc...) than I care to count.

I made far more money in the private sector, and at 5pm on friday went home and was thrilled. On Fridays now, all I wanna do is sleep. I am at work by 6:45am and on many days dont leave till after 4pm.

Are there those that take advantage? of course, but the same can be said of the private sector.
The problem isn't individual teachers, its the special interest group of the teachers union as a whole. There are great individual teachers, many of whom deserve making more than they do. But there is a majority of mediocre teachers, and a significant portion that are a total drain on the system. Sadly of course, the worst tend to end up on the inner city schools, making the problems there worse.

Washington DC wanted to during raise negotiations offer teachers a choice. Accept the 4% raise, or only take a 1% raise but institute a merit based bonus system that could allow teachers to make as much as twice their current pay based on improvement in average student performance. The union officials disallowed it from even being brought to a vote

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem is that he's a libertarian, and has been consistent his whole career. Nobody in the media likes that.
I gotta give you credit...this made me laugh.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem isn't individual teachers, its the special interest group of the teachers union as a whole. There are great individual teachers, many of whom deserve making more than they do. But there is a majority of mediocre teachers, and a significant portion that are a total drain on the system. Sadly of course, the worst tend to end up on the inner city schools, making the problems there worse.

Washington DC wanted to during raise negotiations offer teachers a choice. Accept the 4% raise, or only take a 1% raise but institute a merit based bonus system that could allow teachers to make as much as twice their current pay based on improvement in average student performance. The union officials disallowed it from even being brought to a vote
You do understand the major drawbacks for merit based pay and why it has never worked in education right?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You do understand the major drawbacks for merit based pay and why it has never worked in education right?
I'd like to know when and where it was tried, as both have bearing. And I would not in the slightest put it past the union to purposefully sabotage it. But for the union to disallow the teachers to even vote on it shows the culture and character of the union officials.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting...hmmmmm, um...I forgot what I was going to say?!?

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know when Ron Paul got leprosy? He was 2nd in the straw poll, only 200 votes behind the leader (less than 5% behind) and yet he's being 100% ignored by all news agencies...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-15-2011/indecision-2012---corn-polled-edition---ron-paul---the-top-tier?xrs=share_copy
Gross as I like the guy a lot. The problem is he is for a lot of things Republicans hate. He isn't afraid to call out the hypocrisy of them saying they are small government but using big government tactics in regards to woman's health rights, gays, drugs, etc. Watch him during a debate. At least half the things he is for the rank and file Republicans are against. He is actually small government when most of the right just gives small government lip service. Republicans on the whole are only small government on the stuff they don't want, they want huge government for everything else. He basically calls them out on that and as such can't win and isn't a true player.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ralph Nader anyone?

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know when and where it was tried, as both have bearing. And I would not in the slightest put it past the union to purposefully sabotage it. But for the union to disallow the teachers to even vote on it shows the culture and character of the union officials.
Designing a merit based system that works would be next to impossible. Some schools are filled with kids coming from great families who are going to do well in school no matter who teaches them. Some schools are filled with kids coming from crap families who are likely going to struggle or not care no matter who teaches them. Salaries are going to be based on kids taking high stakes test? What if the kid in my school got high the night before? What if his dad beat the crap out of him? What if he hasn't been read to until he started public school? The lion's den is basically never ending.

Think of it as in the college setting if it helps. A lot of people in college don't go to class, don't study, and end up failing. A lot of people show up, study, and pass easily. The idea that we should pay the teacher/professor based on how the kids do on some test just doesn't work when you consider all the factors. Crap teachers with great kids would show progress and great teachers with crap kids might not even if they are doing a great job.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established

This is spot on though I'm jealous of you being able to leave anywhere near 4. Out of 187 contract days this year I bet I get to leave before 4 around 25 of them :) I also plan on spending at least 5 hours at school each weekend as with coaching I have to do all my planning and grading on the weekends. During football season I'm usually at the school around 12 hours except for on days we have JV or varsity games where I can be at the school sometimes as much as 16. And then be at Saturday practice/film as well. Never a dull moment!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Think of it as in the college setting if it helps. A lot of people in college don't go to class, don't study, and end up failing. A lot of people show up, study, and pass easily. The idea that we should pay the teacher/professor based on how the kids do on some test just doesn't work when you consider all the factors. Crap teachers with great kids would show progress and great teachers with crap kids might not even if they are doing a great job.
The problem with so many teachers is that they are teaching in the same government institution they received their own education from.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Designing a merit based system that works would be next to impossible. Some schools are filled with kids coming from great families who are going to do well in school no matter who teaches them. Some schools are filled with kids coming from crap families who are likely going to struggle or not care no matter who teaches them. Salaries are going to be based on kids taking high stakes test? What if the kid in my school got high the night before? What if his dad beat the crap out of him? What if he hasn't been read to until he started public school? The lion's den is basically never ending.

You don't test vs generic averages, you test vs that same schools prior year performance. If that school's average for 5th graders was 20% reading at grade level, and in 6th grade you bring that up to 25%, that's a great improvement. If that school had 85% at grade level and you brought it to 90 that's great improvement. Any individual schools demographics don't change much year to year, so your argument is invalid. Saying "there's no good way to measure it" mostly means its primarily snake oil sales.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what that means. Public education has a lot of problems, but it's the only hope for a lot of kids. Ironically the right wants every kid to be born, but then doesn't give a crap what happens to them after that. I call them pro-birth. They want kids to be born, but after they are here **** em. Not on my tax dollar they say.

It's public educations job to try and do the job a lot of parents refuse to do. It's also most of those kids only chances. It is by no means perfect and I fully support changes that make sense. It isn't going anywhere because it isn't like a majority of Americans want to see education taken away. I would love to see a lot of its problems start to become fixed, and I could say that about anything to do with the government. As small government as I am I still believe in its LIMITED role.

Are you an ACist Ax? I used to visit a board with a lot of ACists and even though I disagreed with a lot of them, it was very enlightening discussion.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
You don't test vs generic averages, you test vs that same schools prior year performance. If that school's average for 5th graders was 20% reading at grade level, and in 6th grade you bring that up to 25%, that's a great improvement. If that school had 85% at grade level and you brought it to 90 that's great improvement. Any individual schools demographics don't change much year to year, so your argument is invalid. Saying "there's no good way to measure it" mostly means its primarily snake oil sales.
You're ignoring a lot of the factors that go into that improvement though. What if 5 of my 20 10th graders get into drugs? What if Dad gets back from the war and starts making Susie read? These type of things have an impact and they are beyond a teachers control. Not to mention you have a lot of problems with the making of tests. You're still relying on students taking high stakes test for the salary of someone else.

The idea that you can design a test that measures exactly how good the teacher is doing is not something I buy in the least bit. I see kids who are all A's in junior high turn into high school dropouts. We get warned of problem kids all the time, and sometimes they come into high school and flourish. It's just too much variance to accurately say "this teacher is doing a great job and this test shows it was all them."

If designed properly I'd love merit pay, again I think that would drive my salary way up. I just don't think we know a foolproof way of doing it yet. Too much variance. I also don't see how you'd make it work for middle school and up, though it may be doable at the elementary level. It's much harder to judge my performance on merit when I'm one of 6 teachers a kid has. You can get a lot better gauge when kids have the one and same teacher all year.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It as used in NYC for a while in 2007 I believe and failed miserably.

Some of the major reasons it doesnt work in education:
1. how do you judge success?
2. where does special ed fit in?
3. are tests scores the goal (if so, we see what happened with cheating scandals)

At the end of the day, it would be exceptionally difficult, even when using a portfolio based assessment as your gauge

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is spot on though I'm jealous of you being able to leave anywhere near 4. Out of 187 contract days this year I bet I get to leave before 4 around 25 of them :) I also plan on spending at least 5 hours at school each weekend as with coaching I have to do all my planning and grading on the weekends. During football season I'm usually at the school around 12 hours except for on days we have JV or varsity games where I can be at the school sometimes as much as 16. And then be at Saturday practice/film as well. Never a dull moment!
I remember early in my career doing the coaching. Wrestling and football took most of my life. The joke in my house is that i missed most of my daughters first 6 months. :)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry for all the posts. Each year, teachers get a different crop of students that are the true wild card. I have had years where students would have succeeded regardless of what I did in the classroom, and other years where the students struggled no matter how many efforts I put in to alter and assist. You can never account for what you will get in your classroom at the start of every september

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember early in my career doing the coaching. Wrestling and football took most of my life. The joke in my house is that i missed most of my daughters first 6 months. :)
I bet the quality of teaching would significantly go up if teachers school scheduled was cut in half at the same pay rate (or even more imo.) Also, you would have more jobs and more people wanting to teach.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
now that he declared that he is running. I am putting all my support towards the "The Rent is Too Damn High" party. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry for all the posts. Each year, teachers get a different crop of students that are the true wild card. I have had years where students would have succeeded regardless of what I did in the classroom, and other years where the students struggled no matter how many efforts I put in to alter and assist. You can never account for what you will get in your classroom at the start of every september
Really? Because test scores don't show that. Schools are pretty consistent across the 300-500 students in each grade level since the neighborhood demographics don't change that fast. I guess in a small school with less students there would be more variation.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're ignoring a lot of the factors that go into that improvement though. What if 5 of my 20 10th graders get into drugs? What if Dad gets back from the war and starts making Susie read? These type of things have an impact and they are beyond a teachers control. Not to mention you have a lot of problems with the making of tests. You're still relying on students taking high stakes test for the salary of someone else.
Well, if you are like most post elementary teachers, you have 6 classes of 25ish students per semester, for somewhere between 150-600 total students a year? Do you think that 5 students going on drugs, or one whose dad dies at war affects the aggregate average of all students in a statistically significant way? The math doesn't seem like it would. And beyond that, is the number of students going on drugs this year all that different than last year? Usually its not.

The idea that you can design a test that measures exactly how good the teacher is doing is not something I buy in the least bit. I see kids who are all A's in junior high turn into high school dropouts. We get warned of problem kids all the time, and sometimes they come into high school and flourish. It's just too much variance to accurately say "this teacher is doing a great job and this test shows it was all them."
Then how do you measure success? Saying "trust us as educations, we'll tell you how successful we are" is crazy, and nothing in the rest of the world works that way. If change in performance of your students isn't the metric, what is your goal as a teacher? just jam them into the next grade?

If designed properly I'd love merit pay, again I think that would drive my salary way up. I just don't think we know a foolproof way of doing it yet. Too much variance. I also don't see how you'd make it work for middle school and up, though it may be doable at the elementary level. It's much harder to judge my performance on merit when I'm one of 6 teachers a kid has. You can get a lot better gauge when kids have the one and same teacher all year.
Well, again, much of the time what is talked about is merit based bonuses, not direct merit based pay. Teachers would still keep their base salary, but teachers who excel would get paid higher.

I'll agree that designing something that is accurate would be difficult however teachers unions refusing to allow the conversation to begin, rather than them being a part of trying to put together a system that will work is outrageous.

The net gut feeling from parents is that the mediocre teachers are overpaid, and the good teacher are underpaid. My middle daughter had a kindergarten teacher last year who easily deserved twice her pay. It was a ton of factors, organizational skills, involving parents and students, communication, etc.

It as used in NYC for a while in 2007 I believe and failed miserably.

Some of the major reasons it doesnt work in education:
1. how do you judge success?
2. where does special ed fit in?
3. are tests scores the goal (if so, we see what happened with cheating scandals)

At the end of the day, it would be exceptionally difficult, even when using a portfolio based assessment as your gauge
Like i said above, success is based on improvement in skills in the same group of students. If you don't define success as that, what is your goal as a teacher? Special ed is no different, just the margins of improvement you expect are smaller.

If you can't test for the success, then you can't measure it, and its not real. With merit based bonuses, cheating would get you bonuses for a year, but then your baseline target improvement would be higher the next year

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? Because test scores don't show that. Schools are pretty consistent across the 300-500 students in each grade level since the neighborhood demographics don't change that fast. I guess in a small school with less students there would be more variation.
you know better than this. You cant use test scores to determine how good or bad a teacher is. What about ICS classes (Special Ed. inclusion)? Or better yet, who designs the assessment, what is to be on the assessment, or how do you avoid teachers just teaching to the assessment?

No good model has been created, and it certainly doesnt look like one is comnig

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you know better than this. You cant use test scores to determine how good or bad a teacher is. What about ICS classes (Special Ed. inclusion)? Or better yet, who designs the assessment, what is to be on the assessment, or how do you avoid teachers just teaching to the assessment?

No good model has been created, and it certainly doesnt look like one is comnig
Why can't you use test scores? Again, taken as an aggregate of the 300 students you probably teach a year, and that neighborhood demographics don't change rapidly other than from natural disasters, what happens with the outlier students doesn't change much year to year, and doesn't change the overall statistics significantly.

How do you assess how good or bad a teacher is then? Is it just an art rather than a science? and we should expect teachers to self-evaluate?

Remember that with this specifically looking at how Washington DC attempted to implement it, there was no change in base pay, no relation to losing tenure, only bonuses for teachers (up to a bonus of 100% of salary) for performance. Why is that such a horrible thing?

And again, with unions refusing to even allow the conversation to happen, of course its hard to create a good model. If the union actually looked out for the teachers, rather than looking out for the union, they'd be actively engaged in trying to work out a good model.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why can't you use test scores? Again, taken as an aggregate of the 300 students you probably teach a year, and that neighborhood demographics don't change rapidly other than from natural disasters, what happens with the outlier students doesn't change much year to year, and doesn't change the overall statistics significantly.
but this is the problem. They do change, quite frequently. I can give you numbers from students I have had, who, come from the same socio0economic background, and similar family structures. However, their results are entirely different. That is the beauty of education, every september is a clean slate.

How do you assess how good or bad a teacher is then? Is it just an art rather than a science? and we should expect teachers to self-evaluate?

Remember that with this specifically looking at how Washington DC attempted to implement it, there was no change in base pay, no relation to losing tenure, only bonuses for teachers (up to a bonus of 100% of salary) for performance. Why is that such a horrible thing?

And again, with unions refusing to even allow the conversation to happen, of course its hard to create a good model. If the union actually looked out for the teachers, rather than looking out for the union, they'd be actively engaged in trying to work out a good model.
I dont disagree that there are many in the union who are criminals. I am thrilled to be out of the teachers union, however, once the door is opened to merit based pay, it opens it up to being a way to assess a teachers performance and in turn, teachers losing jobs.

IMO, the only way to truly assess teachers is to refine tenure, not get rid of it. Make a portfolio for 3-5 years, and have colleagues and administrators who have observed the teacher sit down and review the portfolio. From their they make the recommendation for renewal of tenure, or dismissal. I totally agree that there are horrible teachers out there who completely take advantage of tenure. However, they are the minority, at least in my district.

I can tell you, from being in the meetings, that most administrators and teachers truly want whats best for the students and are willing to bend over backwards for them, and deal with all the issues that come with students and their parents :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but this is the problem. They do change, quite frequently. I can give you numbers from students I have had, who, come from the same socio0economic background, and similar family structures. However, their results are entirely different. That is the beauty of education, every september is a clean slate.
Honestly, same school statistics don't support that. the percentage change at a given school year to year stays inside a fairly small factor given the number of students. Again, I am talking about larger schools, an k-8 elementary school with only 200 students total definitely would show some significant variation.

I dont disagree that there are many in the union who are criminals. I am thrilled to be out of the teachers union, however, once the door is opened to merit based pay, it opens it up to being a way to assess a teachers performance and in turn, teachers losing jobs.

IMO, the only way to truly assess teachers is to refine tenure, not get rid of it. Make a portfolio for 3-5 years, and have colleagues and administrators who have observed the teacher sit down and review the portfolio. From their they make the recommendation for renewal of tenure, or dismissal. I totally agree that there are horrible teachers out there who completely take advantage of tenure. However, they are the minority, at least in my district.

I can tell you, from being in the meetings, that most administrators and teachers truly want whats best for the students and are willing to bend over backwards for them, and deal with all the issues that come with students and their parents :)
But we're not talking about merit based PAY, but merit based bonuses. no change to existing salary - so no loss the mediocre and crappy teachers, just rewarding ones who improve the students more than the norm for that school.

And i have to disagree on administrators, particularly administrators who are school board level (not so much the in school admins) are useless bags of crap most of the time, and cause more issues with the feeling of "ownership" over the schools. One in our district on the school's facebook page has repeatedly posted "Please parents, don't make any postings on this page using a teacher's name or about a specific teacher" but at the same time the school board prohibits teachers from having a facebook page for school related. Plenty of other goofy things, we are having 1 hr early release every monday this year (same total school hours per year) but when asked if we could move it to friday instead, the school board administrators said that would significantly increase absenteeism and cause all sorts of problems. When I asked if he had some documentation showing that was actually true vs his opinion he just brushed it off and refused to answer.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The issue with the bonuses is that it opens the doer for merit based pay. We have already seen the reopening and disgardig of collectively bargained contracts. Once again, the fear is that the precedent is set....you know the rest

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The issue with the bonuses is that it opens the doer for merit based pay. We have already seen the reopening and disgardig of collectively bargained contracts. Once again, the fear is that the precedent is set....you know the rest
I suppose I can see that. In the same shoes though, I think i'd still be for it, as in the long run it would weed out the dead weight at schools instead of them playing "pass the lemon" in moving lousy teachers from district to district just to avoid them teaching in the same school too long and collecting too many complaints there.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suppose I can see that. In the same shoes though, I think i'd still be for it, as in the long run it would weed out the dead weight at schools instead of them playing "pass the lemon" in moving lousy teachers from district to district just to avoid them teaching in the same school too long and collecting too many complaints there.
I agree about the dead wood. THat is why tenure reform is needed. However it cannot be based on test scores, it has to be another means of assessment

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Well, if you are like most post elementary teachers, you have 6 classes of 25ish students per semester, for somewhere between 150-600 total students a year? Do you think that 5 students going on drugs, or one whose dad dies at war affects the aggregate average of all students in a statistically significant way? The math doesn't seem like it would. And beyond that, is the number of students going on drugs this year all that different than last year? Usually its not.
Yeah I would say it's significant. You add in factors that can throw off a high stakes test like a lack of sleep, poor nutrition, what happened the night before, a kids apathy (my pay is being based on how Johnny don't care sophomore does when he fills out all c's), etc. I'm for what you are proposing...if only I thought it could accurately reflect good teaching. Take your kindergarten teacher who deserved double. What if you knew she was doing an amazing job and the data didn't support that? What if she was dropped in pay because of these factors? What if she was fired based on the fact that a third grader was abused the night before and he was the one kid that pushed her scores down?

It may sound far fetched, but you are proposing putting someones job on the line based on how someone else does. When you're talking about me training an adult that may be one thing...when we are discussing children (remember I only have them in class 1 hour of a 24 hour day) having to do that you've opened up the can of worms. Merit based bonuses might not be bad, but the fear is that will switch to merit based pay and stuff out of our control.

We do test as a school and we use the results of that data to partially determine our success. I also look at things individually and measure stuff that happens in my own classroom. The problem is at least now I don't think we can come up with one good test to accurately determine that THIS teacher sucks or THAT one is amazing. I wish we could, but I don't see it right now.

I do the best possible job I can do every day in the classroom. I try my hardest to be a good influence to kids, and to have them graduate and go on to lead successful lives. A lot of them don't though, despite all my best efforts. The fact is a student's success isn't simply determined by one teacher. Everything about how a kid performs in education isn't in our control, you have a multitude of factors at work.

Again I'd say this stuff is a lot closer to being doable at the elementary level.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on most recent polls, Perry has already blitzed right passed Romney into the forefront of the GOP. I cannot imagine how he will be remotely electable, given his pandering to the religious right. Which means, oh boy, 4 more years of Obama :thumbsup: (sarcasm)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on most recent polls, Perry has already blitzed right passed Romney into the forefront of the GOP. I cannot imagine how he will be remotely electable, given his pandering to the religious right. Which means, oh boy, 4 more years of Obama :thumbsup: (sarcasm)
I think the media is largely ignoring Ron Paul due to their corporate interests, and that Ron Paul actually has close to the actual popular vote.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
such a nightmarish thought

I think the media is largely ignoring Ron Paul due to their corporate interests, and that Ron Paul actually has close to the actual popular vote.
i'd tend to agree. heck with his stance on war + marijuana, he'd get tons of democrat votes ;)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'd tend to agree. heck with his stance on war + marijuana, he'd get tons of democrat votes ;)
But democrats support "humanitarian" wars right? We wouldnt want to stop bombing the crap out of countries that are already killing each other, thats not right.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But democrats support "humanitarian" wars right? We wouldnt want to stop bombing the crap out of countries that are already killing each other, thats not right.
actually many of them are anti war in general

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
actually many of them are anti war in general
That I know, but why do democrats keep supporting and voting for war time candidates? We have Bush who went to war in Iraq, but he consulted congress (although that doesnt say much, lol), then we have dictator Obama using executive powers to go to wars yet many democrats are fooled by this "humanitarian" baloney. Come on, if Libya's main export was watermelons we would not be there.

I think in general though more democrats are waking up and realizing there is no democratic party, or republican party, there are just republicrats.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although I like Paul on several issues, and appreciate his more common sense approach, he stands about as much of a chance as I do. He comes off as a bit of a loon (or he is portrayed that way). In my opinion, if he was smart, he would come in as a 3rd party candidate, as he would be directly in the general election.

At the end of the day, there is NO ONE there who is worth a damn. The darn republicrats are in total control and that wont change. Obama v. Perry is a friggin joke. The only other one out there that I have a tad of respect for is Huntsman. He is quite pragmatic, but no one gives a damn

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although I like Paul on several issues, and appreciate his more common sense approach, he stands about as much of a chance as I do. He comes off as a bit of a loon (or he is portrayed that way). In my opinion, if he was smart, he would come in as a 3rd party candidate, as he would be directly in the general election.

At the end of the day, there is NO ONE there who is worth a damn. The darn republicrats are in total control and that wont change. Obama v. Perry is a friggin joke. The only other one out there that I have a tad of respect for is Huntsman. He is quite pragmatic, but no one gives a damn
If he was a 3rd party candidate he wouldnt have no chance at all. He wouldnt be involved in any of the debates and getting as much national attention. He already is a 3rd party candidate, he is just playing the system to his advantage.

I dont believe he is a loon at all, thats totally the way corporate media portrays him to be. The loons are the ones already in charge of the system and the corporations/banks helping the 1 party republicrats system stay in power.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta disagree. He gets hurt by the MSM, and needs to be separated from the fray.

Regardless, he has no shot in hell