EGGS are bad for you - article

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/health/eggs-cholesterol-heart-disease-study/index.html

Anybody see this article? 3-4 eggs a day have increased chance of heart disease and early death. Study seems legit. That’s how many eggs I eat when I’m not dieting. Looks like I should cut back. I’ve been a big advocate of eggs for the past several years.

Any comments?
I eat a lot of eggs too. Also, article says 3-4 eggs a week, not day. So its worse. :(

Im gunna keep eatin my eggs though.

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Is that including all the yokes along with egg white or is it not specified

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Thes a bit of a paradigm shift where it seems sugar is responsible for the breakdown of the glycocalyx leading to inability to regulate cholestrol. It explains why cholestrol is corelated to so much disease as well and the relationship between diabetes and heart disease

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh sh!t, I just assumed it was per day. I totally overlooked that!

It’s whole eggs. It’s all about the cholesterol in the yoke being bad.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is that including all the yokes along with egg white or is it not specified
Eggs with the yoke is clearly stated in the article. It also states that the whole egg is bad for people with a combination of low physical activity, smoking, and unhealthy diet. That shouldn't be to many people on AM.

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Eggs with the yoke is clearly stated in the article. It also states that the whole egg is bad for people with a combination of low physical activity, smoking, and unhealthy diet. That shouldn't be to many people on AM.
Gotcha didn’t read it yet. But that all makes sense on an inactive person.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen studies that directly conflict with this. My dad’s been eating probably close to half a dozen eggs a day for 30-40 years lol.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its also an article on CNN. Youd be astonished how bad people who write news articles can butcher a study to fit their bias (or theyre just ignorant when it comes to reading medical literature- the majority of them have zero training on the topic). The nutritionist they quoted at the end of the article also makes a point to say we need to consider what fixings the subjects were eating alongside the eggs, which should be obvious. These types of results dont mean much to me, its the best we have in nutrition research most of the time, but the flaws are nearly endless. Subject recall bias, subject and researcher confirmation bias, researcher selection bias are all at play here. Both consciously and unconsciously.

Hell, my interpretation of this article and topic is skewed by my own confirmation bias that I dont want eggs to be bad for me.

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
Im eating around five to eight whole eggs per day. I ain't stopping anytime soon tho. My bloods always come out perfect

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We have shown in this study that the additional intake of cholesterol from eggs does not increase the risk for heart disease in a young population. Data from PBMC gene expression strongly suggests that cholesterol from eggs downregulates cholesterol biosynthesis and additionally increases HDL cholesterol, leading to the maintenance of the LDL-C/HDL-C ratio.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852834/

And that was an actual study with experimental groups, not just an observational study.

Also:
These results indicate that in a healthy population, consuming up to 3 eggs/day results in an overall beneficial effect on biomarkers associated with CVD risk, as documented by increased HDL-c, a reduced LDL-c/HDL-c ratio, and increased plasma choline in combination with no change in plasma LDL-c or TMAO concentrations.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28091798/

Interestingly, current studies have tended to show that the consumption of eggs is not a risk factor of CVD in healthy people. However, people who are at high risk of CVD such as those with diabetes or hypertension need to have caution with dietary cholesterol intake, especially egg intake. Also, some people seem to be more sensitive to dietary cholesterol whose blood cholesterol level is highly correlated to dietary intake. Therefore, even though the recommendation of restricting cholesterol and egg consumption in AHA and DGAC has been eliminated, we still need to have caution with them based on the physiological status of people.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6126094/

In both studies, whole egg consumption did not affect plasma total-cholesterol AUC0–10h, while triacylglycerol AUC0–10h was increased. These results suggest that the dietary cholesterol in whole egg was not well absorbed, which may provide mechanistic insight for why it does not acutely influence plasma total-cholesterol concentration and is not associated with longer-term plasma cholesterol control.
https://res.mdpi.com/nutrients/nutrients-10-01272/article_deploy/nutrients-10-01272.pdf?filename=&attachment=1

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you talking the primary article or cnn article? The cnn one doesnt say that anywhere lol. In fact it says the opposite:

"A potential reason for inconsistent results in the past was the fact that other studies did not take into account that egg consumption may be related to other unhealthy behaviors, such as low physical activity, smoking and an unhealthy diet. Additionally, cholesterol-containing foods are usually rich in saturated fat and animal protein.
"In contrast, the current study included comprehensive assessment of these factors," Zhong and his co-authors wrote."

Meaning past studies have (allegedly) been clouded by the lack of control for those factors you mentioned, but this one, SUPPOSEDLY, controlled for them to try and isolate eggs from those other activities with known negative effects on health.

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
The most recent research indicates that dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol levels in the majority of the population. Those who are impacted are hyper sensitive, think peanut allergy.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The most recent research indicates that dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol levels in the majority of the population. Those who are impacted are hyper sensitive, think peanut allergy.
Yep. See the studies I posted for further support of this claim.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/health/eggs-cholesterol-heart-disease-study/index.html

Anybody see this article? 3-4 eggs a day have increased chance of heart disease and early death. Study seems legit. That’s how many eggs I eat when I’m not dieting. Looks like I should cut back. I’ve been a big advocate of eggs for the past several years.

Any comments?
It's absolute nonsense. For every study that says something is bad another says it's good. There's plenty of studies that show eggs are heart healthy.

Studies are worthless 90% of the time because the ppl doing the study can swing the results any way they want

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Every study done by a vegan says every animal product on the planet is unhealthy. There's also studies that show vegetables are unhealthy. It's all bullshyt

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every study done by a vegan says every animal product on the planet is unhealthy. There's also studies that show vegetables are unhealthy. It's all bullshyt
Moderate egg consumption is healthy. Whey protein is healthy, not just for building muscle either. Creatine is healthy, and even good for cognition. Etc. etc. Yeah, don’t eat deep fried hot dogs wrapped in bacon covered in nacho cheese every meal (they are delicious though!), exercise regularly, keep your brain active, and try to get enough sleep. Boom. The path of moderation that you can actually enjoy.

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yea on my last bulk I was eating 8-9 a morning bloods came back good

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lee hany was eating 20 a day for years and on plenty of gear and he's doing great. Lot of Olympic lifters way back in the day were eating dozens

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lee hany was eating 20 a day for years and on plenty of gear and he's doing great. Lot of Olympic lifters way back in the day were eating dozens
This. Robby Robinson too, and he’s been in world class shape for 50+ years eating whole eggs. Only now because of a hereditary disease is he struggling. The man was stage ready from his 20s to his 70s for crying out loud!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In 2010 he said he gets 3-4 eggs for breakfast, and he likely ate even more in his prime.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good comments guys, I appreciate everyone’s perspectives!

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
Stan Efferding has a YouTube series called “rhinos rants” and he said in one that you don’t know anything about training, nutrition or supplementation because for every “study” there’s another that someone else has done that disproves your study.

So he recommends personal experimentation. If you feel crappy eating eggs then you probably shouldn’t eat them. I think that’s probably the best method in all honestly.

We all respond to gear, or training stimulus different so why would we think nutrition would respond the same for everyone?

cycle

Awards
Everything is around Fear Factor it's all b*******every 10 years a study come out either is unhealthy,the next 10 years it's healthy, the next 10 years is unhealthy...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
healthy fats are necessary end of story. Its the sugar the whole time that causes the most destructive side effects.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Who funded this study? My $ says it’s somebody that has something to do with any industry trying to sell you carbohydrates.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nothing wrong with eggs! Complete protein

Does anyone polled in this egg study, even lift?! ?

franks009

Awards
  • Established
As of February 2018 there was 69,000 people over 100 years old. How many of those people u think we're cautious of eggs? Lol I also believe the 117 year old woman ate 4 eggs a day since she was a little girl

franks009

Awards
  • Established
Most of the info everywhere sees is straight garbage and are looking in the wrong place.

Most studies are funded by the government or food industries. Down playing the competition or trying to make the public believe in something untrue. Fats don't cause diseases, sugar does.

The government says we should have 6-7 servings of rice, bread and pastas in the food pyramid. Who in their right mind needs that many servings a day, nevermind people who don't even lift.

Also they say drink 3 glasses of milk a day because it's healthy and for the vitamin D. But it doesn't even contain the vitamin. It has to be added to it lol. Vitamins and minerals are best consumed with fats, so when they tell u drink low fat milk because fat is bad your getting even less nutrition.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
Believe it or not eating fats will help you lose weight more easy the low fat- non fat diet. If you look at anything non fat it has added sugars. Fat keeps you full longer hence less eating and carbs just make you more hungry.
Things like heart disease are mostly hormonal and immune problem. And the hormone that screws us up is insulin, which drives the bad types of cholesterol.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Its also an article on CNN. Youd be astonished how bad people who write news articles can butcher a study to fit their bias (or theyre just ignorant when it comes to reading medical literature- the majority of them have zero training on the topic). The nutritionist they quoted at the end of the article also makes a point to say we need to consider what fixings the subjects were eating alongside the eggs, which should be obvious. These types of results dont mean much to me, its the best we have in nutrition research most of the time, but the flaws are nearly endless. Subject recall bias, subject and researcher confirmation bias, researcher selection bias are all at play here. Both consciously and unconsciously.

Hell, my interpretation of this article and topic is skewed by my own confirmation bias that I dont want eggs to be bad for me.
☝

This!

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you saying this , so we would all stop eating eggs and you have the best protein source to yourself ?

Nice try buddy.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Every decade or so it turns out that everything previously known about nutrition was completely misinterpreted and then everyone goes overboard in the opposite direction (first fat was bad for you, now its carbs). Best just to stick to eating whole foods and not pay too much attention to studies.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
Its just not looking at the right markers. Its not dietary cholesterol they should be looking at, its the role serum cholesterol has on PAF. And when you look at that, its not much. Combine eggs with hash browns every day, PAF rises. Eat eggs without hash browns, PAF doesn't rise.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
Can you explain how this works in more detail?
Its mainly the interaction of insulin and fat and prolonged glycemic load. When you combine carbs and fats the effect on serum cholesterol is much greater than the effect on fat alone and the subsequent effect on inflammation...which is what really tells the story. You have people with high levels of serum cholesterol yet almost zero inflammation (mainly keto users) and its the inflammation markers that show a higher correlation to heart disease than just serum cholesterol.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Its mainly the interaction of insulin and fat and prolonged glycemic load. When you combine carbs and fats the effect on serum cholesterol is much greater than the effect on fat alone and the subsequent effect on inflammation...which is what really tells the story. You have people with high levels of serum cholesterol yet almost zero inflammation (mainly keto users) and its the inflammation markers that show a higher correlation to heart disease than just serum cholesterol.
Interesting. I've been reading a bit lately about inflammation probably being the biggest factor in how diet affects health and longevity, and how to address it.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. I've been reading a bit lately about inflammation probably being the biggest factor in how diet affects health and longevity, and how to address it.
Mainly reduce carbs and increase healthy fats.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know if its true or not. I've been eating 3-4 whole eggs a day. Maybe I can try eating egg whites only.
LOL please don't

What I got from the article:
If you have an unhealthy lifestyle then you shouldn't eat eggs as they raise your cholesterol even more.
Easy solution: avoid crap food that is much worse than eggs and then eat your eggs. also train.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
T-Nation addressed this last week.

Some Perspective
There's a big problem with this study. While there appears to be a correlation between egg consumption and heart disease, it doesn't mean that there's causation between eggs and heart disease.
Look, the study relied on "food recall." Participants were asked to remember what they ate for breakfast over a period of weeks. Fitness people can remember what they ate for breakfast because it's usually the same damn thing, over and over again. Plus, it's important to them. But regular people? They usually don't remember if they had pastry, Cap'n Crunch, or yes, eggs.
Besides, the researchers didn't appear to consider cholesterol from non-egg sources. Case in point, if you find an egg on a plate, you usually don't have to look far to find some bacon, buttered toast, or creamed coffee.
Perhaps most egregiously, the researchers, while addressing them, still gave short shrift to other factors that heavily influence cardiac health, like smoking, body weight, BMI, and saturated fat intake.
Lastly, you have to consider that just as many people with low cholesterol die of heart disease as people with high cholesterol. Never mind that the vast majority of people aren't even influenced by dietary cholesterol. They can eat lard and their cholesterol levels remain steady.
So I'm stickin' to my over-easy guns and I'm going to continue to eat eggs. They've got too much protein and too many healthful phospholipids and carotenoids to pass up because of a non-definitive study.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-shut-the-hell-up-about-eggs?utm_source=tnation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_dose-190421

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But also is needed for growth. Depends on the omega 6 if it's healthy.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Any comments?
I get them farm fresh and eat them raw. I'm good. Fryin anything especially chicken fetus isn't healthy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreenMachineX Nutrition / Health 21
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
Stopstalking2 Supplements 68
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
Nutrition / Health 21