EGG PRICES!!!! DEAR GOD!!!!

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Has anyone else suffered from sticker shock when buying eggs lately? I buy my eggs at two local grocers. The one used to sell x-large 18 eggs for about $2.49 in october and november. They are now almost $4.00 and there doz. is now 2.49.

Then other place I shop used to have sales for .99 a dozen for x-large and occasionally jumbo for 1.19. The jumbo are now 2.79 a dozen.

Eggs WERE a nice reasonably priced protein option. I did a google search and the consensus is egg consumption is up for a couple reasons. One fast food breakfast's are using far more than ever. Restaurants are using them for dishes not traditionally involving eggs ie egg topped burger. Third reason is a new CA law(because if any state need more regulation it is CA!!!) requiring a certain amount of space per chicken in order to sell your eggs to CA. Due to this farmers have been opting to simply decrease chickens in their hen houses vs building new buildings(cheaper short term).

Overall egg production is increasing but for the moment increase in demand is outpacing production increases. The holiday season and increased backing and cooking is also straining supply.

This all results in eggs costing us more. Boooooooooooooooooo

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i usually wait for them to go on sale and then I buy 30 days worth at a time. I usually pick them up for any where
between .99 & 1.49 a dozen for large eggs. Or I go to Walmart when they are not on sale anywhere else and
you can buy 60 eggs (5 dozen) for about 8.49, which is about 1.69 a dozen.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is what I was doing but the 2.79 for jumbo was the SALE price! Ugh the only doz under 2.00 was the mediums.

I was regularly getting them for about a buck a dozen but I checked both places and no dice. Hopping after the new years when everyone starts "getting in shape" and eating less fatty eggs the price will drop a bit.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
do you have a Walgreens near you...? All of the Walgreens by me always have some go on sale every 4 - 6 weeks.
I usually get a dozen large eggs for anywhere from .99 to 1.49 a dozen when on sale. And most of the time there is
no limit to how many they allow. Ive bought as many as 15 dozen at a time :)

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
Haven't noticed this. Sams club has a 90 count box for like 9 bucks.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of eggs I saw boneless skinless chicken breasts for $.99 a lbs the other day so I stocked up! aha

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I thought it was isolated to the one store as their prices are a little higher so I drove the second store and sure enough both are really high. I do not have a SAMS as an option and I really cannot stand to go to walmart, it simply is not worth the few dollars savings to me. Walgreens I will check for sure.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work at BJ's Wholesale Club. About two weeks ago I noted the huge spike increase. It came out of no where. I think the price jumped up $2 for a pack.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I work at BJ's Wholesale Club. About two weeks ago I noted the huge spike increase. It came out of no where. I think the price jumped up $2 for a pack.
Exactly. I buy eggs every two to three weeks max and BOOM price got jacked. Caught me off guard and now I will be eating a couple less eggs and a little more whey with my meal.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Get eggs for about 1$ a dozen, and buy 36 of them at a time or if i go to a bulk store out of town i will get 5 dozen at a time (like a sam's/costco) since i do not have one where i live.

Chicken I get usually around 1.99$/lb but if on sale its like 1.59-1.79

You have to remember prices will vary from person to person mostly due to LOCATION

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
Where you from OP? Prices were the same here in MI.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In CT, egg prices have risen. We should all put out location and try to map it out lol

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
In CA, the prices are going to get higher due to a law passing that requires so much room in the cage, thereby limiting the number of chickens they'll keep. There was a cover story on it in the LA Times today, if memory serves. One rancher had to cut his stock by nearly 50%.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Or buy your own chickens

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We buy cage free eggs and have been spending about $4.50 for a dozen and go through that in 2 days. I just found 2 dozen at Costco for $6.99, so that is a nice savings.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am in the midwest. I understand of course eggs will vary by location but this was a change of price from about a 1.00 to 2.79(sale price at that.) in a course of two weeks. I am hoping the price will dip a bit after the new year as demand will dip a bit due to less holiday baking and all the new years resolution low fat dieting lol.

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
This is nuts! Sams club, 90 pack, 8 bucks.

If eggs matched steak in price id cry

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
i work at a grocery store and just saw an email that organic milk is in its way to over 7.00 a gallon!!!

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Get eggs for about 1$ a dozen, and buy 36 of them at a time or if i go to a bulk store out of town i will get 5 dozen at a time (like a sam's/costco) since i do not have one where i live. Chicken I get usually around 1.99$/lb but if on sale its like 1.59-1.79 You have to remember prices will vary from person to person mostly due to LOCATION

They will vary to some degree, but there have been laws especially in California that have come into effect recently that are causing a spike in the cost of eggs nationwide.

Egg prices have risen 7-8% nationally year over year and are expected to continue to go up.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-price-outlook/summary-findings.aspx

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Tis the season, stock up on whole turkey and hams, there dirt cheap everywhere! If you got the freezer space.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of the many reasons I will NEVER move to CA a stupid ass law for everything. Chickens needs this much space bla bla bla but hey smoke as much weed as you like with this card ?!?!?!

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tis the season, stock up on whole turkey and hams, there dirt cheap everywhere! If you got the freezer space.
Good point I will scoop up some hams tomorrow good call.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That would be nice but I am in school full time and work almost full time, have a new house to keep up, training and a new dog. No way in hell I have time for chickens right now. Maybe sometime down the road.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
One of the many reasons I will NEVER move to CA a stupid ass law for everything. Chickens needs this much space bla bla bla but hey smoke as much weed as you like with this card ?!?!?!
Trust me, brother, this ish is annoying.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally have no issue with the weed thing I am for legalization and do not personally smoke but that is another subject. I had to laugh when my sister in law moved here(midwest) from CA. Her car had a legally required, by i think prop 65, sticker and it stated that the car contained chemicals known to the state of CA(which is funny because this insinuates that no other state knows this lol) to cause cancer if ingested. Well no **** Sherlock! You mean I should not consume car parts and liquids used to operate a motor vehicle? Why in Gods name would you want to protect someone too stupid to already know this lol. Ah CA beautiful state, wonderful weather but the laws are simply too much for me to deal with.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
I personally have no issue with the weed thing I am for legalization and do not personally smoke but that is another subject. I had to laugh when my sister in law moved here(midwest) from CA. Her car had a legally required, by i think prop 65, sticker and it stated that the car contained chemicals known to the state of CA(which is funny because this insinuates that no other state knows this lol) to cause cancer if ingested. Well no **** Sherlock! You mean I should not consume car parts and liquids used to operate a motor vehicle? Why in Gods name would you want to protect someone too stupid to already know this lol. Ah CA beautiful state, wonderful weather but the laws are simply too much for me to deal with.
That sticker is around just about every place you go. I, too, laugh when I see it and figure that some lawyer figured out they could make a quick buck of the state and now that sticker exists as a result. The level of stupidity out here is amazing. I gotta get back to TX.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
and again you live in CA where the cost of living >>>>> PA

Nope I live in Colorado. The cost of living is higher here than PA, but the point was egg prices have risen nationally, (7-8% year over year) not just on a regional level.

California and its laws are not only causing a rise in egg prices in California, but have an effect on egg prices nationally. There are other factors, but other states are following similar animal rights laws as California.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
I think as a whole, 2015 will see considerable increases in all types of food. It's the way things have been going for a while. I could be wrong, what with dropping gas prices, but I'm not counting on it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Nope I live in Colorado. The cost of living is higher here than PA, but the point was egg prices have risen nationally, (7-8% year over year) not just on a regional level.

California and its laws are not only causing a rise in egg prices in California, but have an effect on egg prices nationally. There are other factors, but other states are following similar animal rights laws as California.
Where my bro lives in CO is much higher than PA
he lives in englewood right outside denver.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Groceries are pretty damn high here in CO. $400 a week is average for us.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Groceries are pretty damn high here in CO. $400 a week is average for us.

Agreed it is so damn brutal! It's about $200-$300 for myself alone.

I need to renew my Costco membership but even there it's still $2.99/lb for chicken.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I scored 8 dozen eggs(all I could fit at the moment) from walgreens for 1.29 ea. They were so overstocked with eggs the manager and assistant manager were pushing me hard to take a case lol. They have 15 cases so I will be going back to hit them up in a couple days.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I guess I feel fortunate to live in a place where I can get farm fresh eggs for $2-3.00/dozen within 5 minutes drive. The taste is so much better but sometimes the stock is limited to medium eggs only. Either way, worth the money and the drive.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I guess I feel fortunate to live in a place where I can get farm fresh eggs for $2-3.00/dozen within 5 minutes drive. The taste is so much better but sometimes the stock is limited to medium eggs only. Either way, worth the money and the drive.
I love the fact that I can drive to a local farmers market for cheap eggs, they are so much better price and taste wise

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can go to farms and markets very easily as well but they are not a better price, better quality for sure but price is about double.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's what I know about eggs...

At my last job, a case of 15 dozen eggs could jump from $13 to $35 in a week just because of everything else going up (gas). California is one of the states that will take an egg that's older than 30 days. From what I was told, eggs are coming from the east coast and they only have a 12-15 day shelf life (by law) so they push the eggs further west because we are ok with older eggs. Re-boxed and new exp. date until they are sold. 99% restaurants use the generic (no label) medium size eggs (cheapest) and a lot of hospitals use pasteurized eggs because it can sit out for days / weeks. Because they are pasteurized, they can last longer.

Lol, the things I learn... :D

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
at smart and final (not that I get eggs from there) 15 dozen eggs are $34! The **** part for me the wife will only eat cage free eggs so she gets the $4-6 a dozen eggs from whole foods. Between the 2 of us that's 1 dozen eggs every 2 days... So you can see how that adds up quick.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Went down in my area. Picked up a 5 dzen pack at work (BJ's) and paid 6.29

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I live in California and I buy XL egglands best for 2 bucks a dozen

QuinoaSucks

QuinoaSucks

Awards
Noticed the same thing, 2.50 for the cheapest carton of a dozen eggs.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Haven't noticed this. Sams club has a 90 count box for like 9 bucks.
I get the huge box they sell, 15 dozen large! It's about 25 buck a box, still the best deal I've seen.

Honestly, in the last year or two I have seriously considered getting a few chickens, lol. Pretty easy to care for, and local law allows up to 5 in the city limits! $4/dozen is just ridiculous.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Ok I just re loaded my egg stock for the week and our prices in socal had definitely doubled. Ridiculous. Organic eggs are cheaper than regular egg pricing?! So I switched to full organics now.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
In CA, the prices are going to get higher due to a law passing that requires so much room in the cage, thereby limiting the number of chickens they'll keep. There was a cover story on it in the LA Times today, if memory serves. One rancher had to cut his stock by nearly 50%.
This is exactly the reason egg prices have skyrocketed here in CA. I am in the process of building a chicken coop in my back yard because of this very reason. It has now become cheaper to raise your own than to purchase at the store. Did the math .... even with the cost of good omega-3 organic chicken feed I will come out ahead. I eat 4-6 eggs a day so with the new CA prices I had to do something

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is exactly the reason egg prices have skyrocketed here in CA. I am in the process of building a chicken coop in my back yard because of this very reason. It has now become cheaper to raise your own than to purchase at the store. Did the math .... even with the cost of good omega-3 organic chicken feed I will come out ahead. I eat 4-6 eggs a day so with the new CA prices I had to do something
Remember that prices are not constant. There may be a time when purchsing eggs versus the chicken feed will be cheaper.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Remember that prices are not constant. There may be a time when purchsing eggs versus the chicken feed will be cheaper.
Generally this has been true but with the passing of the new CA regulations regarding chicken and egg production prices will be on the very high side for a long time. Prices on a 60 count flat of eggs have doubled here over the past month .... that's the line in the sand for me so I am gonna go the 'grow your own' route. I already grow most of my own veggies and greens so adding fresh, healthy, organic eggs seems right .... especially now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
GreenMachineX Nutrition / Health 21
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
WesleyInman Supplements 75
GreenMachineX Nutrition / Health 23