Eating way below my TDEE in terms of total calories and

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel fine. 5'11", 30" waist, age 49 years, strength training 6x per week for almost two years now plus since June one cardio boot camp(real HIIT) on 7th day. Typical daily consumption of 150carb,50fat,145protein.(sometimes as much as 10% more) About 1700/1800calories per day. Have only had six days with more than 2000 calories since July 1st. Started myfitnesspal.com food logging on July 1st and went from 183lbs to 165lbs in the intervening period. Lost some strength and appear as of today to have gained it back.(I log routines and weight moved) I lost the weight after starting the boot camps and being more aware of my eating with myfitnesspal.com. I basically cut smoothies, popcorn, eating out and most breads out of my day. I eat more red meat and eggs now than before.

I have pics from before July and recent ones but they are too large. Will try to resize and post.

But honesty, am I doing something wrong here? I exercise for health not competition or size. I lift heavy by my standards.

Edit: post pic of me at 170lbs, August 20th. Pardon the fathead size, I thought it would be smaller.

Attachments

Last edited:
xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
after several months of dieting you probably would have needed to drop calories consistently anyhow. if your eat way below your needs and have stalled a bit I suggest eating a surplus for a few days in a row to somewhat restage the metabolism.. once your BMR upticks you should be gtg and re establish your tdee then recalculate the calories, u will find it much better for strength when u add back in some of those cals.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. I was concerned I was heading towards CNS failure or injuries due to insufficient intake.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks. I was concerned I was heading towards CNS failure or injuries due to insufficient intake.
Not only that
Damage to hormones,orgrans from a very low kcal intake and fat intake
Chance to really destroy your metabolism from prolonged dieting and severe kcal deficits

I suggest you really read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/not-losing-fat-at-20-deficit-what-should-i-do-qa.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

First article -- Setting the deficit
2nd -- What happens when you go too low of a deficit
3rd - Why a big deficit can harm you more than help you

Please read these.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
after reading those articles you can see it will be important to be consistant with re-establishing your daily intake needs because it will constantly be changing if your sticking to the diet. you could add a supplement that helps keep cortisol in check and possibly thyroid support. Lean Xtreme would be a good choice for the cortisol and something like tt-33 will help provide support for your thyroid. anyhow read those articles for some great insight.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
after reading those articles you can see it will be important to be consistant with re-establishing your daily intake needs because it will constantly be changing if your sticking to the diet. you could add a supplement that helps keep cortisol in check and possibly thyroid support. Lean Xtreme would be a good choice for the cortisol and something like tt-33 will help provide support for your thyroid. anyhow read those articles for some great insight.
The only thing i would also state besides this great advice is since this has been going on for 2 years in a caloric deficit that he should get bloodwork done to test

Thyroid levels
t3 levels
Hormone levels
Testosterone levels

To see if anything has taken a very large plunge from the long term diet because of the effects it can have on these things, and there could be some vicious health aspects because of it. Lets hope he did not damage his hormones and organs from a long term diet which can be seen in many bodybuilders who diet for prolonged periods of time and their testosterone falls below normal range, hoping he would not need to be establish on some form of hormone therapy due to this.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2years me? No, calorie deficit since July1 2013. Have been strength training for 2 years. I was 180-183lbs up through July 1 when I started cutting back on carbs and unnecessary sugars.

Had a physical with bloodwork mentioned on July 15th. All came back fine. Return in January 2014 for the next physical.

I feel fine. Even morning wood is strong.-my broscience approach to free T check.

Well, I was about 2000calories on Sat/Sun/Mon. I ate more because I was hungry due to heavy workouts. Not looking for a number.(Well, I am thinking about the TDEE number) Today I was 196/60/175 carb/fat/protein.

But I will make an effort to eat more. I appreciate all of the advice.-Which is why I came here to express a concern.

Thanks all around as always.

Edit 9-17-2013. I compared paperwork and T-levels were a bit lower than usual after the July 15th bloodwork. I am usually about 790total and that test resulted in a 670. Funny I was 920 total T just a week before I began to lift weights. I have actually dropped T levels.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
its normal to fluctuate.. it could be from the diet too. as reduced cals can and do affect the hormone levels of our bodies.
it could be completely diet related and it might just be normal for you. do you always take the bloods at the same time? after the same amount of fast? after the same last meal? ect. all these things can effect the test levels and unless your able to remove all the variables I would just continue to monitor and enjoy your healthly diet.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its normal to fluctuate.. it could be from the diet too. as reduced cals can and do affect the hormone levels of our bodies.
it could be completely diet related and it might just be normal for you. do you always take the bloods at the same time? after the same amount of fast? after the same last meal? ect. all these things can effect the test levels and unless your able to remove all the variables I would just continue to monitor and enjoy your healthly diet.
Dissimilar draw times and previous day diets. Sometimes the fasting period is quite lengthy.

My health insurance allows for two physical exams per year so have one every six months with full blood work.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yeah.. at that rate I would just wait to have more tests and try to get a big picture outlook over time... if you cant be on the same diet and draw bloods at the same time to isolate as many variables as possible then youre going to see these kinds of differences. like I said above.. sit back and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.