eating lard for calories instead of butter, good idea?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I've been trying to do a clean bulk and get no more than 100 grams of carbs a day. The trouble is getting all the calories is a real bitch when you have limited founds. The way I've been getting extra calories is by eating roughly 5 table spoons of butter a day. I cook with butter as much as I can and sometimes I just eat it by the spoonful for calories. I've also bought some coconut oil for calories, but in the long run it may be better to just drop the coconut oil since it's more expensive than butter. My question is, would it be cheaper if I switched to eating lard instead of butter? How is lard when it comes to trans fat, saturated fat, calories and price when it compared to butter? I have never once bought lard so I do not even know how much lard roughly cost at the store.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Odd choice for a calorie filler. I easily do about 8 tbsp of pb a day with milk

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Odd choice for a calorie filler. I easily do about 8 tbsp of pb a day with milk
See I haven't been using pb because of the sugar. I'm trying to keep my diet low carbs and low sugar.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Well there goes my mega dosed donut suggestion

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are on the right track with coconut oil and butter. Both are excellent for calories and nutrition

Lard is tricky. Its fine for every once in a while but I wouldn't make it the bulk of your fat intake. Lard is about 10% omega 6 which isn't horrible but compared to 1.8% and 3.4% from coconut oil and butter it is a tad high but still nothing to crazy to be concerned over although lard from confined grain fed pigs can be as high as 33% omega 6.

Why only 100g carbs? Also what's your protein intake like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
See I haven't been using pb because of the sugar. I'm trying to keep my diet low carbs and low sugar.
I make my own peanut butter with a coffee grinder a tiny bit of oil and sweet and low.. Its cheaper than peanut butter. It works for me because if i have a jar of peanut butter its hard to resist taking a spoon to that biotch

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You are on the right track with coconut oil and butter. Both are excellent for calories and nutrition

Lard is tricky. Its fine for every once in a while but I wouldn't make it the bulk of your fat intake. Lard is about 10% omega 6 which isn't horrible but compared to 1.8% and 3.4% from coconut oil and butter it is a tad high but still nothing to crazy to be concerned over although lard from confined grain fed pigs can be as high as 33% omega 6.

Why only 100g carbs? Also what's your protein intake like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
My carbs are that low to help minimize fat. Even at 100g carbs though and maintenance calories I'm still around and this is just a guess around 18% bf. I try to get around 220g of protein a day and I upped my calories from 2,500 which I believe is my maintenance to about 2,800, but I may up them again if I continue to see no improvement in arm growth.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i dunno what kinda meat you eat, but switching from 97/3 to 80/20 ground beef would make a big difference

have you tried adding olive oil to your shakes? or have some non-fat-free salad dressing with a meal. you can munch on some nuts as well

eating a stick of butter sounds disguisting

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i dunno what kinda meat you eat, but switching from 97/3 to 80/20 ground beef would make a big difference

have you tried adding olive oil to your shakes? or have some non-fat-free salad dressing with a meal. you can munch on some nuts as well

eating a stick of butter sounds disguisting
Well see I eat a lot of ground turkey and once or twice a week I'll have read meat, like a steak or beef burgers. I do have spinach with olive oil before dinner, but in the end I still need that butter.