Easier Filtering !!!!

• Thread starter Kitchen Chemist
  • Start date

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
Originally Posted by Harvey Balboner
Saw this from Corleone on another board, haven't tried it yet, but looks brilliant!

My fina filtering invention (post #1)

OK, maybe someone has thought of this before, but regardless I feel very proud and figure I should post it for those with a short temper like myself.

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes filtering 100ml's of fina can be very frustrating and enough to throw your bp through the roof. Nothing worse than having to exert total effort to push the oil through the damn filter to the point where sometimes you get splashback where you push too hard and oil is forced through the plunger. I HATE THAT! My fingers get red and painful from all the pressure exerted. Not to mention there's something about the stupid researchkit kits that cause the filters to clog after a crummy 10ml's.

Well I figured out that since the filters work both ways(yes you can filter reverse), that if you slide a credit card in between the plunger and finger grip to create pressure, and then duct tape the bottle to upside down position you can just sit back, relax and let gravity do it's job. It will filter itself into the syringe and you will have nice filtered fina effortless.

That's my contribution for the week

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
hehehe...the innovation of this method is great! For those that convert small quantities frequently this should help with the lobster hand syndrome ;)

Chemo

Chem101

Awards
Not a Good Idea!

Some filters will work both ways. Others will not. The membrane is of course the same in either direction, however the network of supports inside the plastic case is in many cases designed only to hold pressure in one direction. Whatman GD/X type filters are a prime example of this, as they can "blow out" if filtered with suction rather than pressure. Also I have found (by ruining a large batch of HPLC preps) that if you place a syringe filter onto a syringe before pulling back the plunger, leur lock it down, and then pull back the plunger with no liquid it can and often does resultin the afforementioned "blow out".

My advice to those who want to try the method posted above is to experiment first with some extra filters. Also a small bar clamp with a hole drilled in it could in theory accomplish the same thing using pressure rather than suction.

Good luck, and nice ingenuity.

jediclampet

Awards
I m doing my first synovex conversion right now and the whatman filtering is a pain in the ass!

It seems that it's going slower the longer I've been filtering, or maybe I am just geeint more impatient.

Does the filtration go slower because the filter gets "worn"? If I used a new whatman would the filtration go faster?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
it takes longer because it is getting clogged..

jediclampet

Awards
Could anyone tell us which types of filters are reversible and where they can be bought?

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
Whatman gd/x are for sure other then that i'm not sure. I tried this tonight and wasn't very successful. Maybe i'm just too impatient or maybe because i had some .22um rather then .45um filters i dunno. I wasted a lot of gear with those .22um motherjotis.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I got a c-clamp which fits on to the syringe, I just turn it little by little, still takes time but it sure is easier on the hands

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
I actually tried filtering some gear normally with those .22um 45mm whatmans and it takes very little time if you use a 10ml syringe. Just leave the unfiltered gear in a pot of boiling hot water for 10 minutes or so and you can do 10ml in like 60 seconds i'd say.

Tiftan090

Awards
I don't see how taping a credit card to the plunger and placing it upside down equals using the filter in reverse. Its just upside down, it still flows the same way through the filter.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
I think he means start with the plunger in the down position. pull it back to create a vacuum. The credit card is to keep the plunger in the up position and also because everyone has a credit card handy and its length roughtly matches the stroke of a 10cc syringe.

Tiftan090

Awards
Oh yeah you're right. Didn't read that carefully enough.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
the best filters ive ever used and only use are gelmans. they are the mst freeflowing .22's ive ever used

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
the best filters ive ever used and only use are gelmans. they are the mst freeflowing .22's ive ever used
Yeah, but some work better than others. I noticed this one time too, but I don't remember if it was the Gels with the green, red or purple lettering. I don't think it was the nylon. Which are you using and how many mics?

BobbyRay

Awards
I like to use a small caulking gun and put the 60cc syringe in it, gently squeezing the gun a little at a time so as to not blowout the filter. You can do this with a 30cc syringe, too. You still have to manually filter it but it saves your thumbs!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I like to use a small caulking gun and put the 60cc syringe in it, gently squeezing the gun a little at a time so as to not blowout the filter. You can do this with a 30cc syringe, too. You still have to manually filter it but it saves your thumbs!
Now that is innovative! :thumbsup:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Better yet, you can buy a motorized pump, hook one end of a tube up to the oil you are drawing from, then put the filter and needle on the other end.

Just turn it on and walk away.

It's probably about a $300 upfront investment but save major major headaches.

BobbyRay

Awards
Dr. D,

I actually read that somewhere else, so it isn't my original idea. I don't know who came up with it, but it does work like a charm.

The best way to filter large volumes is to use a Stericup or Nalgene vacuum filter. You just pour the oil you want to sterilize in the top, attach the hand pump (researchlabsupply sells both) and pump it up to a certain level and it will do all the work. When its done you can unscrew the bottom glass bottle with the sterilized oil in it and then transfer it to vials. The bottom reciever/glass cup is reusable and autoclavable.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dr. D,

I actually read that somewhere else, so it isn't my original idea. I don't know who came up with it, but it does work like a charm.

The best way to filter large volumes is to use a Stericup or Nalgene vacuum filter. You just pour the oil you want to sterilize in the top, attach the hand pump (researchlabsupply sells both) and pump it up to a certain level and it will do all the work. When its done you can unscrew the bottom glass bottle with the sterilized oil in it and then transfer it to vials. The bottom reciever/glass cup is reusable and autoclavable.
Most stericups have a plastic receiving container, not glass. The plastic ones are not reuseable.

Even still, the problem is when you unscrew it, it opens it to the environment. Bacteria and such are not really a concern; dust, dirt, and other such things ARE however. The moment it is exposed to the open air, all kinds of crap instantly starts settling into it.

I like the stericup process myself and use it regularly since I'm not yet willing to invest $300+ in a motorized pump. However it does carry a bigger risk than filtering directly into the container from which you will ultimately draw.

In fact, one batch I made managed to get a hair into it. I then had to split it up and refilter into seperate vials. Not fun.

BobbyRay

Awards
Yeah, I was talking about the Nalgene units with the glass recievers but everything you said is true. I still stick with the 60cc syringe in a caulking gun method, its easy to filter that way, even through .20um whatmans.

I forgot to mention that you have to use a washer inside the caulking gun when using that method. The washer has to be big enough in diameter to not slip through the front end of the caulking gun while having a hole small enough for the tip of the syringe to fit through while keeping the barrel of the syringe in place.

Kind of hard to describe but basically you need a caulking gun AND a washer that is the correct size.

Anyway...

daemonium

Awards
well, i think you guys are just thinking WAYYY to mutch...
just dont't stick too mutch the rubber before this! Stick the needles in the rubber only once, this will help maintain the levels of pressure mutch more stable!
Use a 5ml syringe, take the plunger out, fill with oil and filter (sometimes put on the plunger to help start but unscrew again carefully)
then you just need to maintain the soluton warm in the beaker and fill the syringe from tiem to time!

You guys made me lost some time drawing this ****... lol

pump connections.JPG

daemonium

Awards
also don't let the filter suck it all before puting more oil, the air will clog it a bit!
if you want to change vial, just push the rpressure release "botton" of the pump, and atach to another vial!

edit:
forgot to mention the filter i use is the one sold in www.researchlabsupply.com! and it also have Ethyl oleate.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well, i think you guys are just thinking WAYYY to mutch...
just dont't stick too mutch the rubber before this! Stick the needles in the rubber only once, this will help maintain the levels of pressure mutch more stable!
Use a 5ml syringe, take the plunger out, fill with oil and filter (sometimes put on the plunger to help start but unscrew again carefully)
then you just need to maintain the soluton warm in the beaker and fill the syringe from tiem to time!

You guys made me lost some time drawing this ****... lol

View attachment 12723
Hmm, excellent idea!

Have you tried it?

daemonium

Awards
It's the method I use for filtering so yes I do it once in a while!

If there is a very large batch i just use stericups, that you just need to connect the plastic tub to the adapter in the stericup, very easy.

this hand pump worths the $45 believe me... I only have to pay more attention if there is some strong concentration gear and a lot of ml's of it, because it will take some time, but by hand it's worse!

These stuff as desribed with medium concentration for long esters and short esters, it's piece of cacke! in 10 mins you make a bunch load of vials!