dropped weight on my chest

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I was going for 250lbs on the bench today... Had a spotter and he gave me a "lift off". Now somehow I dont know how he picked it up but when he lets go my left wrist turns towards my head. Then down comes the weight crashing on my chest. Strange thing is it did not hurt my chest at all, I mean not even a little bit. MY wrist that got bent back hurt a lil bit. Feels pretty good now we will see how it dies tommorow.

Moral of the story:

I think the guy didnt know how to spot and was too weak for the weight. I usually just pick a random guy in the gym to spot me. Next time ill be more selective.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
thats y i unrack myself.. IMO no way to know just how heavy the weight is gonna be unless u unrack it.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
its takes me like 5 minutes to set up and guys look at me funny because i'm not a huge bencher but i bench in the squat rack so the safety bars protect me, I don't trust anyone in my gym and everyone has their own theory on how to spot someone so it's not worth it.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
thats y i unrack myself.. IMO no way to know just how heavy the weight is gonna be unless u unrack it.
Same here; I don't lift as heave but always unrack myself.

its takes me like 5 minutes to set up and guys look at me funny because i'm not a huge bencher but i bench in the squat rack so the safety bars protect me, I don't trust anyone in my gym and everyone has their own theory on how to spot someone so it's not worth it.
I've done this myself and works out best. I do have a friend that works out with me almost always, but he's easily distracted.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I rarely ask for a lift off because of this. If I do, I will tell them I will nod when they should let go so they don't just drop it before I am really holding the weight.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Set yourself up back farther in the bench, gym benches don't have platforms like comp benches theirfore someone is going to have a hard time bringing the weight out to you. If you setup close to the arms it is up and out a few inches and their is no way for this to happen. If you are lifting alone and the arm length is adjustable make sure it is set properly so it is just up an inch or two and out, not a half bench and out. If you are set up properly you should have not dropped the weight, granted it can be difficult to set up properly on a lot of the crap benches in commercial gyms.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea it has never happened to me before it was embarrassing. I blame the spotter as well as myself. I lift alone a lot and naturally do the lift of fpart by myself too, but it's hard for me to do lift offs for whatever reason I cna bench more and for more reps if some1 helps me on the lift off.