drinking to much?

Doubravkody

Awards
When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
cup and half of ice cream-200cal

12oz milk-210 cal
1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No way in hell you need that much nutrition before you go to bed. I would say as a general rule, 300 or so calories at the most. You should be focusing on trying to incorporate that shake around your workout, or upon awakening.

Doubravkody

Awards
is it bad to drink that before bed?
and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though? It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
what i do is i take a blender put 4 scoops of dextrose with maltodextrins, around 30 gr whey protein, 2 scoops peanut butter (the sat fat slows down the rate at which the protein gets absorbed) 1 cup of dry regular oatmeal i blend that all up and when i wake up in the morning im as hard as a rock and STARVING. lol considering i just woke up time to go make that breakfast. :food::food::food::food::food::food:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is it bad to drink that before bed?
YES
and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though?
You are consuming half your daily calories requirement in one liquid meal.
It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...
You are putting too much strain on your stomach with such a high volume of liquid and then laying down. You will especially strain your lower esophagus. You are setting your self up for GERD and or nocturnal exfixiate. You will eventually make yourself sick.

GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Acid Reflux, Heartburn) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

A bulking diet is not a gorging diet.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

1 scoop whey
1/2 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 banana

or something similar

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I usually eat about 20% of my daily intake when I wake up, pre WO, and post WO. That leaves me 40% to snack on during the day, and have a big lunch.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
1100 calories before bed = Terrible idea

strain on particular organs
affects sleep
bad for digestive system
inhibits GH production
can facilitate fat storage

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

1 scoop whey
1/2 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 banana

or something similar
:goodpost:

nothing else to say after that.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
cup and half of ice cream-200cal

12oz milk-210 cal
1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal
WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Dude if it's not making you fat and seems like it's helping keep doing it.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!
cottage cheese and almonds 30g protein 10g fat

Doubravkody

Awards
I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed
You should never feel like your chest is going to explode. If a meal makes you feel that way it is probably too big. Why not replace the 200 cals of ice cream with something healty. Oats and a banana?

Doubravkody

Awards
in the drink?
I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...

But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...

See how it goes

Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me

IrishRugby34

IrishRugby34

Awards
in the drink?
I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...
Get a better blender...or make a thicker shake by taking out some of the liquid you are using. That should help keep some of the oatmeal suspended and will help with the volume in your stomach also.

But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...
Drinking anything high volume before bed is really hard on your stomach, not to mention you do not digest food/nutrients that well during the night. I would say give yourself AT LEAST 30 minutes before you go to bed.

Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me
Its all dependant on your diet and your workout, age, and body type.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
id drink 2 scoops of some casein protein in a cup of milk. ~12 oz ~400 cal 60g of slow digesting protein!! you dont need much more than that before bed

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
for grinding up the oatmeal you could use a mini food processer. it chops it up to the consistancy of protein powder. you can also throw any liquid or anything else for that matter and you have a nice consistant, smooth shake. it works really well you can get pretty good deals on them at sears or something like that, or you can drop like 500 bucks on a vitamixer.