Drinking small amounts of alcohol a couple times a week?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’d suggest surrounding yourself with different Christians then.
whole lotta truth here...there are good AND bad in every walk of life, it really isn't surprising that those who are want easily find those bad examples of Christians.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I haven't had a drink since march 9th this year. When I go on my drinking benders it's upwards of 25 drinks per day and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. A typical Friday night will be around 20 shots and a few beers in-between to kill time. I've done that daily! for months on end. I can go out drinking tomorrow if I wanted to and then not drink for 5 more months if I want but I can't just go have a few. I can't catch a buzz till around the 10 mark qnd I don't have a off switch. I have to lock myself in the house for like 5 days like a bag of **** till the craving passes after a night out then I'm good and back on my grind for months. So needles to say now a days if I'm gonna drink it's gotta be 1 hell of a party. If I could handle 1 or 2 drinks a few times a week I would do it. But I can't cus I'm a highly functional alcoholic who makes excuses to drink.

Don't be like me it sucks balls.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven't had a drink since march 9th this year. When I go on my drinking benders it's upwards of 25 drinks per day and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. A typical Friday night will be around 20 shots and a few beers in-between to kill time. I've done that daily! for months on end. I can go out drinking tomorrow if I wanted to and then not drink for 5 more months if I want but I can't just go have a few. I can't catch a buzz till around the 10 mark qnd I don't have a off switch. I have to lock myself in the house for like 5 days like a bag of **** till the craving passes after a night out then I'm good and back on my grind for months. So needles to say now a days if I'm gonna drink it's gotta be 1 hell of a party. If I could handle 1 or 2 drinks a few times a week I would do it. But I can't cus I'm a highly functional alcoholic who makes excuses to drink.

don't know your age, but for me when I got close to 40 the blackouts became more frequent and the hangovers were killer. as the saying goes-I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

going to pray for you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
don't know your age, but for me when I got close to 40 the blackouts became more frequent and the hangovers were killer. as the saying goes-I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

going to pray for you.
I'm 34. And right before I stopped in march I was having frequent black outs. Forgetting where my car is. Getting in a fight and not rembering it till someone told me. I never use to black out. As bad as it all sounds I have it under control now. When I made the decision to go back on gear this year and blast n cruise I made the decision to not drink. I don't drink on gear and technically I'm permanently on gear. It's new year's Eve and I'm home. Had to make massive life changes this year. There's more to it but I'm good. Saving money, going on vacations, looking and feeling good, all help. And I would be letting a lot of ppl down if I drink now. I've even been bartending again for the past 6 months and it don't bother me. Guess I just decided to grow up.

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
whole lotta truth here...there are good AND bad in every walk of life, it really isn't surprising that those who are want easily find those bad examples of Christians.
I know guys I’m not saying ALL Christians. I know many who I talk to and share fellowship. I’m talking about Churches promoting anything other than the gospel mainly

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Really appreciate you sharing that man. It’s better to avoid if it becomes a problem and I’m glad you’re making the choice to avoid!

I will pray as well. Be strong

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had church and religion in my life at a young age, but it wasn't until I decided that I was sick and tired of being a alcoholic that I truly found GOD.

22 YEARS SOBIETY!!!
Amazing ! ThNk you for sharing and God bless you brother

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was just rereading through this thread and there are some great post here. Alcohol is truly poison and I’m surprised at just how many people do struggle with it. Seems more common than not. Why it’s treated so lightly in our society? I think those small amounts I was doing before was putting stress on my liver

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was just rereading through this thread and there are some great post here. Alcohol is truly poison and I’m surprised at just how many people do struggle with it. Seems more common than not. Why it’s treated so lightly in our society? I think those small amounts I was doing before was putting stress on my liver
I want to add that I had bloodwork done after coming off a long heavy drinking binge and liver was barley out of range. I highly doubt what your doing is effecting your liver. But it absolutely could be messing with your head. Either way it sounds like you don't want it in your life so just avoid it

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I want to add that I had bloodwork done after coming off a long heavy drinking binge and liver was barley out of range. I highly doubt what your doing is effecting your liver. But it absolutely could be messing with your head. Either way it sounds like you don't want it in your life so just avoid it
Yeah, I doubt it but it can mess with my stomach. Definitely not good for reflux , so I sometimes pair that with the whole digestive system

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm 34. And right before I stopped in march I was having frequent black outs. Forgetting where my car is. Getting in a fight and not rembering it till someone told me. I never use to black out. As bad as it all sounds I have it under control now. When I made the decision to go back on gear this year and blast n cruise I made the decision to not drink. I don't drink on gear and technically I'm permanently on gear. It's new year's Eve and I'm home. Had to make massive life changes this year. There's more to it but I'm good. Saving money, going on vacations, looking and feeling good, all help. And I would be letting a lot of ppl down if I drink now. I've even been bartending again for the past 6 months and it don't bother me. Guess I just decided to grow up.
don't get cocky about it, I know several who went back to drinking after 10 years or more. even after 22 years of sobriety I take it day by day.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You sound like many 40-50 yos I know- including myself to some degree. I can control it and stop, but like you mention, it is very easy to drink a bottle and not think anything of it. Again, I know many people (both men and women) like this and the next day piecing things together. I started getting grossed out at the thought of it and slowly removing myself from the continued activities a while back. It was amazing how great it was not feeling like that with the anxiety and guilt in between days of drinking- because it wouldn't be every day but when it was go time- it was go time.

Wish you luck and anybody identifying the struggle.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the atheist's will probably laugh at this ...never underestimate the power of prayer

22 years sober without a touch of alcohol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What exactly would you pray for?
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

the serenity prayer is a prayer I use often when life throws me a curve ball. of course I say personal prayers, but those are between me and God.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

the serenity prayer is a prayer I use often when life throws me a curve ball. of course I say personal prayers, but those are between me and God.
Even without actually “believing in God,” that “prayer” is pretty practical, and can be used as a “Mantra,” reminder/tool to keep that lesson in mind. That philosophy of knowing what is in our control and what to focus on is at the core of Stoicism, and doesn’t require any belief in God(s).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Even without actually “believing in God,” that “prayer” is pretty practical, and can be used as a “Mantra,” reminder/tool to keep that lesson in mind. That philosophy of knowing what is in our control and what to focus on is at the core of Stoicism, and doesn’t require any belief in God(s).
I agree..that is the standard 'prayer' of AA, which allows non-believers to substitute God with higher power. for me personally God works!!!

call it what you want, prayer works!!!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree..that is the standard 'prayer' of AA, which allows non-believers to substitute God with higher power. for me personally God works!!!

call it what you want, prayer works!!!
Yeah, my dad has ~34 years clean, so I definitely know that prayer. Applicable for everyone really, even people not in AA.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay, this I understand. I was taking it too literal.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Okay, this I understand. I was taking it too literal.
even doctors who are non-believers in God admit to the power of prayer, and when there is no hope for a patient even recommend prayer....every hospital I have ever been in has had a chapel, unfortunately they are not used as much today as in the past.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
even doctors who are non-believers in God admit to the power of prayer, and when there is no hope for a patient even recommend prayer....every hospital I have ever been in has had a chapel, unfortunately they are not used as much today as in the past.
The “prayer” in question can also be considered a type of “mindfulness” practice too, and I know a lot of people in the fitness/bodybuilding area (this is AM after all) believe in the power of visualization, which isn’t terribly dissimilar from this type of prayer. So there is utility for everyone IMO.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The “prayer” in question can also be considered a type of “mindfulness” practice too, and I know a lot of people in the fitness/bodybuilding area (this is AM after all) believe in the power of visualization, which isn’t terribly dissimilar from this type of prayer. So there is utility for everyone IMO.
I agree 100%...but for purposes of AA the premise is that left to ones own devices they have made a mess of things, AA is based on turning our life over to a higher power [which in my case is God].

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
the atheist's will probably laugh at this ...never underestimate the power of prayer

22 years sober without a touch of alcohol.
To be honest yes I do laugh a bit about things like this. I feel its actually an insult to people who do it without religion. Its like attributing succes to fictional person while in reality people all do it themselves.

Then again if it makes you happy why not.

My problems with religious people are when they tell me what i can and can't do. Like shopping on a Sunday, euthanasia (legal in my country thanks to non religious people) and other stuff. As long as religious people keep their rules and regulations to themselves and abide by them without forcing others to do so im ok. My problem begins if things from that fictional book are being forced upon people who don't believe in it.

I am not talking about stuff like you will not kill you will not steal. I mean who needs a a book for that to know you should not. I mean the religious people act like they invented it but its just normal.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be honest yes I do laugh a bit about things like this. I feel its actually an insult to people who do it without religion. Its like attributing succes to fictional person while in reality people all do it themselves.

Then again if it makes you happy why not.

My problems with religious people are when they tell me what i can and can't do. Like shopping on a Sunday, euthanasia (legal in my country thanks to non religious people) and other stuff. As long as religious people keep their rules and regulations to themselves and abide by them without forcing others to do so im ok. My problem begins if things from that fictional book are being forced upon people who don't believe in it.

I am not talking about stuff like you will not kill you will not steal. I mean who needs a a book for that to know you should not. I mean the religious people act like they invented it but its just normal.
To be fair, Jesus told his apostles if the people they preached to wouldn't listen to them, to just move on, so the true teachings of Jesus were never, ever meant to be forced on anyone. These were, if you believe the Bible, people who literally learned from and lived with Jesus, and were supposedly given the power to perform literal miracles. So if these apostles couldn't convince everyone to follow the "Christian" lifestyle, what makes today's "Christians" trying to force their way of life on people think that they can do what even the literal apostles couldn't? Do they think they're better than the apostles? More capable? More convincing? Better teachers? That's the epitome of arrogance to me. But there are plenty of true Christians who would never force their way of life on anyone, even if they believe with all their hearts and souls it's the only/best way.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be fair, Jesus told his apostles if the people they preached to wouldn't listen to them, to just move on, so the true teachings of Jesus were never, ever meant to be forced on anyone. These were, if you believe the Bible, people who literally learned from and lived with Jesus, and were supposedly given the power to perform literal miracles. So if these apostles couldn't convince everyone to follow the "Christian" lifestyle, what makes today's "Christians" trying to force their way of life on people think that they can do what even the literal apostles couldn't? Do they think they're better than the apostles? More capable? More convincing? Better teachers? That's the epitome of arrogance to me. But there are plenty of true Christians who would never force their way of life on anyone, even if they believe with all their hearts and souls it's the only/best way.
This is exactly right about the bible and it is also built on the premise we have free will ultimately to choose what we believe. In that right its up to each individual.

But a Christian stating what he believes out loud is no different than someone stating out loud they believe the bible is fictional. We can believe whatever we want and we can say whatever we want, I do agree forcing any belief political or religious shouldnt be done. Its kinda what our country's turned into tho. We have a country divided that is being torn apart by two different extremes thinking their correct and forcefully trying to push their opinions in an ever increasing hostile way.

Things sure have changed in this country, id personally say for the worse. But thats just my opinion

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
This is exactly right about the bible and it is also built on the premise we have free will ultimately to choose what we believe. In that right its up to each individual.

But a Christian stating what he believes out loud is no different than someone stating out loud they believe the bible is fictional. We can believe whatever we want and we can say whatever we want, I do agree forcing any belief political or religious shouldnt be done. Its kinda what our country's turned into tho. We have a country divided that is being torn apart by two different extremes thinking their correct and forcefully trying to push their opinions in an ever increasing hostile way.

Things sure have changed in this country, id personally say for the worse. But thats just my opinion
Then why are things like euthanasia not allowed in the USA ? I mean its a personal belief if someone wants to die. That is my choice not the choice of some religious guy who says it should not be done. Where is the freedom to die ? Its taken away by religious fanatics.

Sorry I think religion has poisoned too many things and taken away freedoms that should be there for every human.

Live and let live, religious people should only force their own not others. I am not going to force a Muslim to eat pork as long as I am not told I can't eat it. Its simple just respect others never force others. I get the point that Christians cant commit suicide (so no euthanasia) but why apply that too to non Christians ?

I think countries with more religious people are less tolerant then those without. (in general)

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Then why are things like euthanasia not allowed in the USA ? I mean its a personal belief if someone wants to die. That is my choice not the choice of some religious guy who says it should not be done. Where is the freedom to die ? Its taken away by religious fanatics.

Sorry I think religion has poisoned too many things and taken away freedoms that should be there for every human.

Live and let live, religious people should only force their own not others. I am not going to force a Muslim to eat pork as long as I am not told I can't eat it. Its simple just respect others never force others. I get the point that Christians cant commit suicide (so no euthanasia) but why apply that too to non Christians ?

I think countries with more religious people are less tolerant then those without. (in general)
Lol thats the government's decision not religous fanatics. I dont know who you think makes those decisions but its not religous people. If you want to kill yourself by all means, go ahead. People do it all the time.

B

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol thats the government's decision not religous fanatics. I dont know who you think makes those decisions but its not religous people. If you want to kill yourself by all means, go ahead. People do it all the time.
But probably because of politicians who need votes from religious communities.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
The poster below you put it there. .. they need votes from religious communities.

Its not about killing yourself, its about the right to die. If i have cancer id like the DR to (actively not just withholding life support) assist in my death. That is something that is allowed in my country. However the religious nuts are trying to make it harder again. What is the problem with them shutting up and just not do it themselves instead of making rules for others.

Anyway that is my biggest problem with religion they like to make rules that they want to apply to everyone even non religious people.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The poster below you put it there. .. they need votes from religious communities.

Its not about killing yourself, its about the right to die. If i have cancer id like the DR to (actively not just withholding life support) assist in my death. That is something that is allowed in my country. However the religious nuts are trying to make it harder again. What is the problem with them shutting up and just not do it themselves instead of making rules for others.

Anyway that is my biggest problem with religion they like to make rules that they want to apply to everyone even non religious people.
Actually 9 states in the US currently have Death With Dignity Acts (take a pill and peace out) for the terminally ill, and I happen to live in one of them.

Thank God!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Actually 9 states in the US currently have Death With Dignity Acts (take a pill and peace out) for the terminally ill, and I happen to live in one of them.

Thank God!
Which 9 states? I could be wrong, but I think it's only legal in Oregon and Washington, although a few other states have done it after going to court.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Which 9 states? I could be wrong, but I think it's only legal in Oregon and Washington, although a few other states have done it after going to court.
California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.

Apparently it just passed last year in my state (Maine), and I didn’t even know about it until people I work with in the hospital started talking about it. It really hasn’t been a big deal..

I work with many terminally ill patients as part of my job, but haven’t heard about anyone specifically choosing this route yet. Then again, its likely that it’s a conversation between the palliative care/hospice team, physician, and patient/family- and that choice is probably kept quite private. I’m not really sure though..

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.

Apparently it just passed last year in my state (Maine), and I didn’t even know about it until people I worked with in the hospital started talking about it. It really hasn’t been a big deal..

I work with many terminally ill patients as part of my job, but haven’t heard about anyone specifically choosing this route yet. Then again, its likely that it’s a conversation between the palliative care/hospice team, physician, and patient/family- and that choice is probably kept quite private. I’m not really sure though..
Thank you and thank you for what you do. I work a lot in oncology and this would be a better route than what I typically see happen. Even if legal, yeah, it's probably not best to advertise that it's going on or the fundamentalists get all worked up.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you and thank you for what you do. I work a lot in oncology and this would be a better route than what I typically see happen. Even if legal, yeah, it's probably not best to advertise that it's going on or the fundamentalists get all worked up.
Yeah, most of what I do as a respiratory therapist is about advocating for the patient, but of course we don’t have the final say. 95 year old patients who are “FULL CODE” with multiple comorbidities is just ridiculous. A majority of the time, it’s the family members who have the POA pushing their loved one’s to receive life sustaining treatment that only extends their suffering. Some families are blind to it because they simply can’t let go.

There are some great success stories that come out of intensive care units, but there is also an abundance of things going on that should never happen. Just because we can do something to sustain life, doesn’t mean that we should. My hospital transfers out trauma patients, so our intensive care unit consists of cancers, advanced lung disease, heart failure, etc, most often in the elderly. Our other most common patient population in rapidly exceeding numbers is drug overdoses/suicide attempts. Far more common than 10 years ago when I first started.

Death With Dignity likely takes place in a hospice institution or home hospice environment, so that’s probably why I don’t ever hear the details about it in regard to specific patients that I once cared for. Yes, the less talked about- the better, but also important for the patient to be informed about the option on a personal level!

Last edited:
Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Yeah, most of what I do as a respiratory therapist is about advocating for the patient, but of course we don’t have the final say. 95 year old patients who are “FULL CODE” with multiple comorbidities is just ridiculous. A majority of the time, it’s the family members who have the POA pushing their loved one’s to receive life sustaining treatment that only extends their suffering. Some families are blind to it because they simply can’t let go.

There are some great success stories that come out of intensive care units, but there is also an abundance of things going on that should never happen. Just because we can do something to sustain life, doesn’t mean that we should. My hospital transfers out trauma patients, so our intensive care unit consists of cancers, advanced lung disease, heart failure, etc, most often in the elderly. Our other most common patient population in rapidly exceeding numbers is drug overdoses/suicide attempts. Far more common than 10 years ago when I first started.

Death With Dignity likely takes place in a hospice institution or home hospice environment, so that’s probably why I don’t ever hear the details about it in regard to specific patients that I once cared for. Yes, the less talked about- the better, but also important for the patient to be informed about the option on a personal level!
I don't get why there should not be talked about it. I think its an important topic. In my country you can make a living wil when your still sound of mind and then the doctors have to abide by it even family cant change it.

I like how they help people die in my country not just withhold help but actively give them something so they can pass away without pain. Of course this should never be pushed upon people. But people should be aware they have these options.

I see no reason in having people suffer unneeded.

Anyway refreshing to see that some religious people even accept this as an option and don't want to ban it for everyone.