Drifting away from others who do not share the same goals.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
So there are some people in my life that I just feel I am drifting away from. They just have different priorities than I do. They don’t eat clean and they drink excessively. Much rather spend their Friday night getting hammered while I want to be in the gym. Let’s just say they don’t understand my lifestyle and to be honest I don’t understand theirs. On top of it we don’t even share the same interest in music. They think clubbing consists of hip hop music while my definition is a club that spins house and trance. This is not gonna work out so I’m feeling like we are drifting away from eachother.

Any of you deal with something similar?

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know some of your posts get a rise out of people. I feel this time you are not bashing them for their choices, you are just stating it's different than you. I applaud you for that.

With that said, easy answer is yes we all drift apart from people. For many reasons. Friends I thought I'd have forever, I don't even talk to. I just don't have same interests or thought processes as them anymore.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So there are some people in my life that I just feel I am drifting away from. They just have different priorities than I do. They don’t eat clean and they drink excessively. Much rather spend their Friday night getting hammered while I want to be in the gym. Let’s just say they don’t understand my lifestyle and to be honest I don’t understand theirs. This is not gonna work out so I’m feeling like we are drifting away from eachother.

This isn't something that developed recently for me but it is something I dealt with quite a while ago when I was around my mid twenties. I got serious about lifting and my gym schedule and diet. So the friends I would typically have a drink and some wings with tended to drift apart. Not many people really put health and gym before their partying and having a "good time" ways. Everyone choses their priorities and not many can stay diligent with their gym goals.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
This isn't something that developed recently for me but it is something I dealt with quite a while ago when I was around my mid twenties. I got serious about lifting and my gym schedule and diet. So the friends I would typically have a drink and some wings with tended to drift apart. Not many people really put health and gym before their partying and having a "good time" ways. Everyone choses their priorities and not many can stay diligent with their gym goals.
Yes that is what I am dealing with now.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Also let me add since I put my health, lifting and rest as a priority over going out and drinking, the phone calls stopped, and pretty much wanting anything to do with me has ended. I’ll invite them out to get coffee or a nice dinner somewhere and they just ignore me. Never see them at the gym anymore either.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So there are some people in my life that I just feel I am drifting away from. They just have different priorities than I do. They don’t eat clean and they drink excessively. Much rather spend their Friday night getting hammered while I want to be in the gym. Let’s just say they don’t understand my lifestyle and to be honest I don’t understand theirs. On top of it we don’t even share the same interest in music. They think clubbing consists of hip hop music while my definition is a club that spins house and trance. This is not gonna work out so I’m feeling like we are drifting away from eachother.

Not everyone will understand your lifestyle. They respect it and like a nice body. Let them do there thing. You do yours.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100% relatable

Not that I don’t still have love for the guys I grew up with, I feel we don’t have anything in common anymore. Mostly the things you have already listed. And it’s probably me!! I am a loner in most of my interests. I don’t drink, I listen to extreme metal, and I’m into the gym and nutrition. They are not. I workout alone, go to concerts alone, and don’t get invited much anymore to things as I don’t invite them
much either.

I don’t think there is any animosity in all of it. And I am perfectly fine with the path. However, I recently started a new job and have found a coworker who does enjoy most of the same things. Shooting guns, heavy metal, gym, nutrition, and even political/societal/scientific discussions. So i connect immediately with someone I’ve known a few months much better than the friends I’ve known my whole life.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
78% of the time away from work or the gym is spent with my dog and I have no complaints.

The other 22% I am either at the grocery store, on the toilet (where my dog is not allowed to participate), or with my Girlfriend.

I have no % to spare anyway...

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
78% of the time away from work or the gym is spent with my dog and I have no complaints.

The other 22% I am either at the grocery store, on the toilet (where my dog is not allowed to participate), or with my Girlfriend.

100% of the time, my dog is in the bathroom when I am. Never a break lol

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Welcome to growing up. it jsut happens regardless of what your choices are. anytime you start down a different path (be it health, lifestyle, career, etc) you will gain and lose people along the way... jsut the way it works.

The people that stick with you through cahnges and tough things are the only ones who matter in the long term anyways.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I relate @OP . Since I predominantly quit drinking three years ago I've stopped going to the pub with friends as I used to. I still chill with people, though whilst they're getting drunk I just drink water. Perhaps that's something to consider. Some conversations tend to be better with booze or weed or whatever else and if you're not on the substance they may be a bit boring or difficult to relate to. But my friends and I still mostly have the same senses of humour and i still enjoy just sitting around chatting and having a laugh. Perhaps in my case, it's become clear that we still relate to one another and make one another laugh. Perhaps if you convinced your old friends that were the case then they'd be happy to have you around, even if you're not drinking.

My eating routine, particularly on the days when I go see them on short notice having intermittent fasted all morning, can be troublesome. However me popping out for half an hour for something to eat is rarely an issue. As for you, your friends and any wings or burgers etc they want to get, perhaps you could try incorporating some iifym on those days. That's what I do now. Tbh I genuinely prefer eating healthy over eating junk but some occasional chicken wings aren't that bad. White bread won't wreak your metabolism either. Incorporating 50g of poorly sourced carbs and fat into a healthy diet isn't difficult and the worst case scenario is that (assuming you're cutting or recomping as I am), you'll 'only' be at a 100-300 calorie deficit or maintenance for the day. In the grand scheme of things that translates to me gaining a teensy tiny bit more muscle (smaller deficit thus more retained) and having to diet for an extra day. It's not that bad

On the topic of clubbing. We have the same definition of 'clubbing'. Some of my friends like going to clubs where folks seem to just go to drink, sing along to songs and possibly get laid. Singing along to songs is more fun when you're drunk and so given I don't drink, i can feel a bit out of place after an hour or so. When I'm lean I model and people often tell me I dress well. I turn up, dance a bit and 8s 'magically' appear around me and want to talk. But truth be told I'm not one of the hornier people in this world. I'm into hip hop and trap alongside techno and house but I prefer clubs where clubs spin house and techno. Going to clubs people go to to drink, sing along to songs and possibly get laid, when you're not in the mood is a bit off.
For this, you may just need to find some new friends. On the brightside though, finding new friends could be fun. Most of my old friends are into mostly the same music as me but they don't like clubbing as much as I do. So I've been making new friends who like clubbing more than my old friends. When my old friends and I want to go to the same night, sik. Though I'll also go with my new friends. I'm keen on the two groups meeting one another
What I'm saying is, perhaps you could still chill with your old friends whilst making new friends.

What do you do for work btw?

I try not to mention fitness related things around the friends of mine who aren't into fitness, which is 95% of them, but that's alright because we talk about other things. It'd help you to remind your old friends of your similarities as opposed to reminding them of your differences. Also, try not to slam unfit people. When a person's buddies aren't fit, they probably won't like being around someone who slams unfit people. I'm being frank here but the above is what my life's taught me

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Haha, yeah gotta admit my pooch is on a par with my kids and wife for my attention lol

SheSwole

SheSwole

Awards
Imagine being a female. Everyone not into the fit life are soo critical of women building muscle. �� So, yea, I’ve definitely had to move on from old friends. They don’t understand my love for the gym.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes that is what I am dealing with now.
You'll do what is best for you and what drives you and they will do what they want. Strength is measured in many ways and I like to think we are some of the strongest mofos out there and not just because we lift things up and put them back down.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is just life in general. People take different roads. Some people want healthier lifestyles, some people move to pursue education, some to pursue cash. We all make choices and we all get consequences, good and bad.