Dr.D's Antibiotic Brief

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Using an antibiotic when it is not needed is dangerous as your body will not respond as well to future antibiotic needs.
Is this true? My understanding was that it is a function of bacteria developing a resistance, not the body.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Is this true? My understanding was that it is a function of bacteria developing a resistance, not the body.
You are both right. It's the tolerance developed by the bacteria that make the body's future responses less effective.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
This is why im a fan of DR. D :D
:cheers:
I guess people have been reading this, stocking up on antibiotics or just taking better care of themselves. I haven't gotten an emergency PM about an infection in a long time!

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
if one was taking cephalexin, should they be worried about kidney/liver health? I'm on it for a skin infection (no, not from pinning) and I was experiencing pain in my kidney area. I'm thinking it was a coincidence but better safe than sorry.

Edit - The pain seems to be gone today which is relieving

After doing a lot of research I haven't found anything suggesting renal or hepatoxicity, and the fact Dr.D and others would recommend it to people on cycle is probably a clear indication of its safety, but just double checking

Some feedback from someone using Keflex - its kind of a pain in the ass to need to take such spread out doses. I wish it had a longer half life

Last edited:
DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Wedgylx,

The half-life issue does suck, but it's just so fast acting! A great choice if you need rapid effects and can remember to take it at least 4x/d (every 4-6hrs). It is clean and renal/hepatoxicity are not a problem, even using 2g's/day or more.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wedgylx,

The half-life issue does suck, but it's just so fast acting! A great choice if you need rapid effects and can remember to take it at least 4x/d (every 4-6hrs). It is clean and renal/hepatoxicity are not a problem, even using 2g's/day or more.
Thanks a lot Dr.D! I will confess I hadn't been as dedicated as I should have with dosage, but recently I've wisened up.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i got two questions

what would generally be good to have around at all times? 1 of each type or what?

and which is better amoxicillin or pen v?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think that amoxicillin is good stuff but like has been said before.. don't start it just to be taking it

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Amoxil, Doxycyline and some Pen-G injectable for the 3 basics you should have on hand (keep 'em in the frig)

daemonium

Awards
what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?
NLT=Not Less Than (sorry for the confusion, I'll go back and clean it up a little)

I'd refrig, just for long term purity retention

daemonium

Awards
thks!

lol, no prob!
I've never seen that abbreviation so it was hard as hell to decode it!

Yes, it better to refrigerate it then!
Hope I never need them..

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
Dr D,
If I've missed the answer to this already I apologize.......
I'm very prone to sinus and ear infections. I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
Thanks, and great thread.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
Thanks, and great thread.
Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.
Augmentin usually works pretty good for me.
My ENT usually will fix me up, but sometimes it might be a couple of days before I can get in to see him.
Thanks for the info.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
My parents raise dogs, mom's always had a big bottle of amox around when I got sinus infections. Never had any infections from anything else...knock on wood!

Great thread...thanks Dr!!!

jon777

Awards
amoxicillin or amoxilcillin + clavulanate (augmentin) are first line treatment for sinus infections when antibiotics are required. studies have shown antibitoics vs watchful waiting for sinus infections resulted in same outcomes in uncomplicated cases.

Lastly, Im not sure the purpose of this thread but I in medicine we like to practice called antibiotic stewardship. antibiotics resistance is a growing problem (due to previous generations of medical professions not practicing stewardship) in the world and most pharmaceutical companies have stopped putting money in antibitoics research. all my professors basically say were screwed. so PLEASE do not just use antibiotics willy-nilly. consult a physician (infectious disease doc is best lol). The most specific antibiotic (narrow spectrum) for an infection is the best course and only when indicated. ok thats my rant sorry.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
a bump

ciprofloxacin should i be worried about the possible tendon damage /tendon rupture or negative effects on protein synthesis?

the doc gave me a 10 day supply at 1 pill twice daily do i need to stop lifting heavy for the week/will this have long term effects on tendons?