Doug Miller.. Massive PR on Deadlifts....

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'm impressed that he made an effort to pull 500+ pounds. You and I both know that very few people have earned the right to even think they can pull that kind of weight.
500 is not a strong dead lift by any measure. There were 55 year old guys opening w 500 at worlds last week...

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
500 is not a strong dead lift by any measure. There were 55 year old guys opening w 500 at worlds last week...

As a generality most guys can't pull 500+. That's pretty damn heavy for a very high percentage of the gym going population.

Maybe I should have said 600, or maybe where you're at you see guys attempting to pull 500 all the time. I don't know.

Either way I personally think anyone under 250lbs at any age trying to dead 500+ is impressive by any standards.

napalm

napalm

Awards
You're profile says your max dead lift is 450...Is that correct? Or do you not consider your dead lift strong by any measure? I'm just asking because I rarely see anyone trying to dead 500+ at either of the gyms I go too.
You are correct, but what does my deadlift have to do with anything? That doesn't change the fact that a 500 lb deadlift is not considered strong. I'm a couple months from 50 broham, when put into context, 450 ain't that bad.

And you can bet your stupid fcking circular arguments that when I recover from the Achilles tear I got at worlds, my deadlift will be north of 500 in short order...

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
You are correct, but what does my deadlift have to do with anything? That doesn't change the fact that a 500 lb deadlift is not considered strong. I'm a couple months from 50 broham, when put into context, 450 ain't that bad. And you can bet your stupid fcking circular arguments that when I recover from the Achilles tear I got at worlds, my deadlift will be north of 500 in short order...

That context you speak of is something you should consider before you tell me my arguments are fuking circular.

napalm

napalm

Awards
That context you speak of is something you should consider before you tell me my arguments are fuking circular.
Let me guess, you failed high school debate right?

You've done nothing this whole thread but turn and attack - rather childishly and completely ineffectively, anyone who points out that what you seem to think is so impressive, isn't.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
You are correct, but what does my deadlift have to do with anything? That doesn't change the fact that a 500 lb deadlift is not considered strong. I'm a couple months from 50 broham, when put into context, 450 ain't that bad. And you can bet your stupid fcking circular arguments that when I recover from the Achilles tear I got at worlds, my deadlift will be north of 500 in short order...

450 is great especially if you near 50 and have had an injury. I never said it wasn't, but you're the one arguing 500 isn't strong, but yet you say 450 isn't so bad when put into context?

I personally think pulling 500 is strong when you put it on context that out of the millions of people that step foot inside of the gym a small percentage can dead lift 500. Fuk only a small percentage of people even do compound lifts

Not sure where you thought my arguments were going in fuking circles either.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Quoting the same post twice after having an 'ah ha' moment does nothing for your argument either.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Let me guess, you failed high school debate right? You've done nothing this whole thread but turn and attack - rather childishly and completely ineffectively, anyone who points out that what you seem to think is so impressive, isn't.

I was never on the debate team. I was too busy competing in every sport I could and earning my right to play a college sport.

But, please continue with your snide and hypocritical comments.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I was never on the debate team. I was too busy competing in every sport I could and earning my right to play a college sport. But, please continue with your snide and hypocritical comments.
Was the college sport patting yourself on the back?

I will be going to sleep now because I need to grow physically, mentally, and financially.

Joe_P

Awards
I was 650 puller at one time, not sure if I could have done that even in that style. Strong is strong, that is nice for a bodybuilder. I worked out at Strong and Shapely gym for 7 years, everyone got along great, only on the forums do these arguments arise.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I pulled 315 for four does that make me strong?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was 650 puller at one time, not sure if I could have done that even in that style. Strong is strong, that is nice for a bodybuilder.
Agreed and apparently nat, that is some pretty strong pulling right there. And might even be beltless.

I pulled #315 for 4 does that make me strong?
One or two hands??? :sic
If it is more than you did last month, then you are stronger kiddo. Enjoy ;-)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Question, why do you powerlifters call deadlifting "pull". He "pulled" so much weight. Just wondering.
Easier to say than deadlift lol

And essentially, that is what you're doing

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Have you ever seen a powerlifting meet?

Multiple actually. My roommate in college was one of the top ten powerlifters in the country for his age.

And yes it's extremely intense and inspiring.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Question, why do you powerlifters call deadlifting "pull". He "pulled" so much weight. Just wondering.
Because "yank" is not at all an appropriate form of pulling heavy stuff.

The way it was splained to me years ago is, it involves "scapular retraction" and or drawing a weight towards the torso, instead of pressing it away from.

smoker145

Multiple actually. My roommate in college was one of the top ten powerlifters in the country for his age.

And yes it's extremely intense and inspiring.
What I'm getting at is the way he approaches the bar has nothing to do With anything. I could scream and pound my chest before I approach the bar, but if I get 2-3 red lights bc i didnt lockout my dead, no one gives a Fyck

Joe_P

Awards
What I'm getting at is the way he approaches the bar has nothing to do With anything. I could scream and pound my chest before I approach the bar, but if I get 2-3 red lights bc i didnt lockout my dead, no one gives a Fyck
I am going to be honest with you, no one gives a **** if you get white lights either, except maybe your mom, girlfriend and training partners. That goes for all of us, don't take yourself too seriously. I have trained with WPO competitors and world record holders, they get up and go to work in the morning just like the rest of us and no one knows who they are.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember my first deadlift...

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Geez, between this thread and the "Powerlifting vs Bodybuilding" 'article', it's like there's a gang war going on around here.. Time to choose a side I guess... PL4 Lyfe!

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
YEAAAAAH BUDDY!!! ;)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumping for old times sake haha.
The reason why bodybuilders shouldn't try to demonstrate strength.
If anyone wants to question my "merits" as a deadlifter I have 2 videos of me pulling 675. That said just because someone can do something doesn't mean you should take advice from them. Some of the best athletes make the worst coaches.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Can't we all just get along and lift heavy **** then go to the buffet

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
Hi I'm 15 and what is this?

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And this thread took an even bigger dump... I've seen it all now.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would almost rather look at your poop than read this thread T-bone.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been blowing it up lately. Good thing I got a brand new toilet.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
this thread is awesome.

lannjonny

lannjonny

Awards
  • Established
When i seen the words «this thread is awsome» i clicked on it. Now after reading everything from gang wars to some big guy poopin i decide that... frick ya! Im in! o boy

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Read through the thread and all I really took out of it is that tygatyga really improved his deadlift in one year from 315 x4 to I believe 491