Donald Trump running for president

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Love the strawmaning. I've said repeatedly that one is worse than the other. I'm done defending against reductio ad absurdum.
I get what you're saying, but comparing employment to indentured servitude kinda belittles actual indentured servitude. One of those things involves a person working for no pay at all. The same with not giving somebody a raise compared to straight up choking them to death. That's gonna make people question the comparison even if you say one is worse than the other.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Love the strawmaning. I've said repeatedly that one is worse than the other. I'm done defending against reductio ad absurdum.
But you are repeating, ad nauseam, that they’re comparable, no? Is one much worse than the other, or are they comparable? They don’t belong in the same sentence man.

Also, please respond to my question about minimum wage, poverty wage, and “livable wage.” What should Target pay employees to not be “comparable to police officers who murder people in cold blood and then cover up said murders.”

Please, I’m genuinely curious what your reasoning is and how the monsters at Target can stop being deserving of being mentioned in the same sentence as racist, murdering police officers who cover up other racist, murdering police officers.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get what you're saying, but comparing employment to indentured servitude kinda belittles actual indentured servitude. One of those things involves a person working for no pay at all. The same with not giving somebody a raise compared to straight up choking them to death. That's gonna make people question the comparison even if you say one is worse than the other.
Exactly this. If I said, for example, rape is comparable to name calling because they are both abusive behaviors, but I made sure to clarify that rape is worse, I still, at the very least, phrased myself very poorly if I compared rape and name calling and said they’re comparable.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why are you asking me? I can't speak for other white men, why would I speak for a black one? And people will stop obsessing over race when people stop getting killed over race. Everybody want another example of white privilege? Here it is: being able to say race has nothing to do with it or stupid **** like I don't see race. Race exists and it's allowing cops to literally get away with murder. Finally we're getting cops arrested for it, but we're still not at the point of them being treated like everybody else? How long did it take for this current cop to get arrested and have the others been arrested yet? Two other cops held a cuffed prisoner down while a third choked him to death for something that I would probably get a warning for. But please, go on and tell us how it's the "certain blacks" that are the problem.
Because I have declared you the unofficial intellectual savior of the masses here at AM. This wasnt a decision I made lightly, and I am not giving you the option of ever abandoning this label.

In all seriousness Im not really getting a whole "white privilege" theme overall from these current protests. People of all kinds are united for the same cause which I like.

Last edited:
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You're absolutlely right that type of thing is bs and i know it goes on, what the hell is going on i feel like im in the twilight zone here haha at what point did i say racism doesn't exist or that it does and i support it. Am i losing the plot or something? I say one thing and i get 50 responses about all the racism in the world, OKAY YES YES YES racism is awful and i am dead against it and the police are getting away with murder and it has to stop. Can i make it any clearer where i stand on this issue of racism, I'm being deadly serious i fucking hate racists! Its the most ignorant thing you can be and severely limits your potential life experiences and connection with other people.
Sorry! Haha didn't mean to make you feel that way. Was just adding to the discussion about what I've noticed. I'm white, and I used to think "what white privilege! I dont get any special treatment", until I realised that i do, even if it's not blatantly obvious.

I get interviews when I apply for jobs using my real name, people never called police on me for riding a bike as a child, and I've never had my car ownership questioned by police.

That's a small snapshot at what privilege looks like. There's also the story of a young black man getting accosted by police because they thought he had hijacked a bus when he was part of the team that were on the bus. That is just insane that people cant even go about their business without being accused of committing a crime.

And what about the caregiver who was lying on the ground with his hands In the air, trying to tell his autistic patient to drop his toy truck and was shot for it? When the officer was asked why he pulled the trigger, his response was "I dont know". Wtf? What cop shoots someone without due cause? That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get interviews when I apply for jobs using my real name, people never called police on me for riding a bike as a child, and I've never had my car ownership questioned by police.
How would you feel if that job you applied for, you were most qualified for but were rejected because you were white and a workplace wanted to show a sense of diversity?

Would you feel like you deserved this oppression just because of your white privilege you didnt choose to be born with?

For the record, Im "white" whatever the crap that means because I dont identify myself as white and Ive had my car searched well over a dozen times by the police, several times with police dogs and seen other "whites" harassed for little to stupid reasons.

Can I claim oppression of Sicilians? I got pulled over because Im a WOP?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw this dude on live TV earlier, stole my heart for the night. He would make an incredible leader for the movement. Its a shorter edited clip, he had more to say for a few minutes, but this is all I can find.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How would you feel if that job you applied for, you were most qualified for but were rejected because you were white and a workplace wanted to show a sense of diversity?

Would you feel like you deserved this oppression just because of your white privilege you didnt choose to be born with?

For the record, Im "white" whatever the crap that means because I dont identify myself as white and Ive had my car searched well over a dozen times by the police, several times with police dogs and seen other "whites" harassed for little to stupid reasons.

This is illegal and does not happen. It's something that "people who don't believe white privilege exists" allege happens with zero proof as a scare tactic.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is illegal and does not happen. It's something that "people who don't believe white privilege exists" allege happens with zero proof as a scare tactic.
What is affirmative action then? Do I have that wrong?

I believe there are people who stereotype and pick and choose people who fit their prejudice racist profiles, but that goes with people of all colors and races. In my youth, everybody left me for shyt and didnt believe in me, the only privilege I had was figuring it out on my own. And then when I did, the government sent me a bill in the mail for over 30k telling me that I have to pay, and if I dont I knew they will come knock on my door and take me, and if I refuse they will murder me for my success.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Goodnight all, I hope all these protests dont get any worse, that the other 3 cops get arrested and reform does happen. The good cops need to speak out and fight this too, thats how we all win. We are all human and this is all our problem.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What doesn’t happen? I know that my father, when he was coming out of the fire academy, most assuredly the fire departments accepted some black candidates over white ones with higher scores. Do you really think affirmative action has never been a real thing?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Lots of other cultures and races aren't even considered for jobs unless they change their names and pretend to be someone they're not, and yet you're upset that someone is willing to give them a go? That mindset is exactly why things never change. How many jobs are actually rejecting white people for racial diversity? I can tell you it is MUCH more likely that a person of colour is rejected for a job based on their race than it is for you o be rejected because you're white. We cant play the victim card on that.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What doesn’t happen? I know that my father, when he was coming out of the fire academy, most assuredly the fire departments accepted some black candidates over white ones with higher scores. Do you really think affirmative action has never been a real thing?
Affirmative action exists. Never said it doesn't.

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anarchy. Using what happened as an excuse to be terrorist. I agree the person did not deserve to be shot however, the rioters are harming innocent people. This is just ridiculous

Last edited:
I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In our current world, everyone has the same oppurtunity to become successful. Anyone who says they cant are just making excuses. I live in a very conservative state and I have yet to experience crazy racism. We don't have many black people here , but I know a few and many have jobs. Some are high level and education, as well. I actually saw WAY more racism when I lived in the liberal east coast. And that was all types of racism, not just white against black.

Last edited:
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anarchy. Using what happened as an excuse to be terrorist. I agree the person did not deserve to be shot however, not the rioters are putting and harming innocent people. This is just ridiculous
They weren't shot and English is really your first language? Holy ****

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
They weren't shot and English is really your first language? Holy ****
LMAO sorry I am on my iphone 😂

I meant the man who was shot by the police officer(George Floyd). That wasn't justified , but these riots aren't either

Last edited:
Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sorry! Haha didn't mean to make you feel that way. Was just adding to the discussion about what I've noticed. I'm white, and I used to think "what white privilege! I dont get any special treatment", until I realised that i do, even if it's not blatantly obvious.

That's a small snapshot at what privilege looks like. There's also the story of a young black man getting accosted by police because they thought he had hijacked a bus when he was part of the team that were on the bus. That is just insane that people cant even go about their business without being accused of committing a crime.

And what about the caregiver who was lying on the ground with his hands In the air, trying to tell his autistic patient to drop his toy truck and was shot for it? When the officer was asked why he pulled the trigger, his response was "I dont know". Wtf? What cop shoots someone without due cause? That's ridiculous.
Lol it's cool, i was just getting quite worked up there haha. The abuse of power thats going on is appalling and thats what i can't stand more than anything else, no one should be able to come along and make someone feel afraid or harassed or take their life because the have a badge and a uniform, it's unnatural, especially in USA, you have the constitution, one of the most beautiful things ever written yet it's being trampled on when any person of any colour or background is not truly free and under it's protection. Its unfathomable to me that when these things happen the other officers do nothing to stop it, they may say something later but at the time they let it happen as if it's engrained in their programming to never question another officer, forgetting they're to protect the public. Systemic racism needs to be fought in any way possible and people in MN i reckon don't feel they have any other way

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lol it's cool, i was just getting quite worked up there haha. The abuse of power thats going on is appalling and thats what i can't stand more than anything else, no one should be able to come along and make someone feel afraid or harassed or take their life because the have a badge and a uniform, it's unnatural, especially in USA, you have the constitution, one of the most beautiful things ever written yet it's being trampled on when any person of any colour or background is not truly free and under it's protection. Its unfathomable to me that when these things happen the other officers do nothing to stop it, they may say something later but at the time they let it happen as if it's engrained in their programming to never question another officer, forgetting they're to protect the public. Systemic racism needs to be fought in any way possible and people in MN i reckon don't feel they have any other way
I agree with this. What the cop did was not justified what so ever

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I meant the man who was shot by the police officer(George Floyd). That wasn't justified , but these riots aren't either
Yeah, he still wasn't shot. WTF are you talking about?

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, he still wasn't shot. WTF are you talking about?
My apologies, haven’t kept up with the story. I haven’t kept up with news and actually just heard about all of this today. Just realized he was beaten to death 🤦‍♂️ Pretty sad honestly and getting shot would have been a better way to die than what was described .

Last edited:
nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was comparing an unpaid internships to indentured servitude.

I see what you're saying. I'll have to see if I come up with a way of illustrating the connection without making seem like I'm saying they're 1:1.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But you are repeating, ad nauseam, that they’re comparable, no? Is one much worse than the other, or are they comparable? They don’t belong in the same sentence man.

Also, please respond to my question about minimum wage, poverty wage, and “livable wage.” What should Target pay employees to not be “comparable to police officers who murder people in cold blood and then cover up said murders.”

Please, I’m genuinely curious what your reasoning is and how the monsters at Target can stop being deserving of being mentioned in the same sentence as racist, murdering police officers who cover up other racist, murdering police officers.
I did.

As we've discussed I don't think there's one right number. I think the Fed Gov should create incentives for states based on the number of employed people who are still drawing on social safety net programs.

Places like Target instruct their poverty wage employees on where to go and how to fill out the paperwork to get on Gov aid and then fund the campaigns of politicians that want to cut those programs. Philosophically they're saying their employees deserve to starve. If a state can't set a min. wage that prevents that, maybe they don't get any. Federal contracts.

Yeah, I don't think systemically leaving your employees to either starve or beg the gov for help is on a different planet from actively killing them. I agree the latter is worse but I don't agree that the former is completely incomparable. They both involve the underclass dying to maintain the power of the overclass.
Again, one is worse but yes, IMO there's a connection between the two.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did.

Again, one is worse but yes, IMO there's a connection between the two.
Using your logic, there is a “connection” between rape and name calling in that they are both abusive behaviors. I still wouldn’t repeatedly call them “comparable,” and I’d make a point of clarifying that, even if I say they are “related” in that they’re both abusive behaviors, that one is orders of magnitude worse than the other, not just that one is “worse” than the other. Saying that “they’re comparable but one is worse” doesn’t really express the drastic difference, and makes it appear as if they’re similar in your eyes, in the same league/class, and I’m not the only one here saying that. Related and and comparable aren’t interchangeable here IMO. Tee ball and Game 7 of the World Series are “related” in that they’re both baseball, but I wouldn’t say that they’re “comparable but one is bigger.” They’re so different that they’re different beasts entirely, even if they’re “related.”

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Using your logic, there is a “connection” between rape and name calling in that they are both abusive behaviors. I still wouldn’t repeatedly call them “comparable,” and I’d make a point of clarifying that, even if I say they are “related” in that they’re both abusive behaviors, that one is orders of magnitude worse than the other, not just that one is “worse” than the other. Saying that “they’re comparable but one is worse” doesn’t really express the drastic difference, and makes it appear as if they’re similar in your eyes, in the same league/class, and I’m not the only one here saying that. Related and and comparable aren’t interchangeable here IMO. Tee ball and Game 7 of the World Series are “related” in that they’re both baseball, but I wouldn’t say that they’re “comparable but one is bigger.” They’re so different that they’re different beasts entirely, even if they’re “related.”
If someone was out trying to exact vigilante justice on rapists and while they were out, saw someone being bullied and kicked the crap out of said bully it would be reasonable to make the association you're describing and that would not equivocate rape and bullying.

The rest of your argument is strawmaning and a claim that two kinds of baseball are completely unrelated??? Ok.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lots of other cultures and races aren't even considered for jobs unless they change their names and pretend to be someone they're not, and yet you're upset that someone is willing to give them a go? That mindset is exactly why things never change. How many jobs are actually rejecting white people for racial diversity? I can tell you it is MUCH more likely that a person of colour is rejected for a job based on their race than it is for you o be rejected because you're white. We cant play the victim card on that.
Im upset both at the need that some will not give a call based on names associated with races and that some would hire based on the color of ones skin over qualification. Both are forms of racism. Im not denying what you are saying doesnt exist, but when the solution is rasist you continue division.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If someone was out trying to exact vigilante justice on rapists and while they were out, saw someone being bullied and kicked the crap out of said bully it would be reasonable to make the association you're describing and that would not equivocate rape and bullying.

The rest of your argument is strawmaning and a claim that two kinds of baseball are completely unrelated??? Ok.
I NEVER said that the two ball games are UNRELATED; you may be proving my point, that RELATED and COMPARABLE aren’t inherently synonymous or interchangeable here. Two things can be RELATED but not really at all comparable in terms of intensity of magnitude. If you can agree on that, that a police officer literally killing someone in cold blood and then their department often covering it up, is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than paying someone minimum wage, then I think that’s all there is to say, and I’ll stop wasting both our time.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I NEVER said that the two ball games are UNRELATED; you may be proving my point, that RELATED and COMPARABLE aren’t inherently synonymous or interchangeable here. Two things can be RELATED but not really at all comparable in terms of intensity of magnitude. If you can agree on that, that a police officer literally killing someone in cold blood and then their department often covering it up, is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than paying someone minimum wage, then I think that’s all there is to say, and I’ll stop wasting both our time.
Sure, I can throw in the qualifier "significantly" next time. I may or may not use all caps.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In our current world, everyone has the same oppurtunity to become successful. Anyone who says they cant are just making excuses. I live in a very conservative state and I have yet to experience crazy racism. We don't have many black people here , but I know a few and many have jobs. Some are high level and education, as well. I actually saw WAY more racism when I lived in the liberal east coast. And that was all types of racism, not just white against black.
I live in New York north of the city and have grown up to racism around me and seen it at the workplace, especially a heavily red neck mining industry I worked at (not all red necks are racist, thats not a fair accusation.) Seen it heavily from Italian, seen it heavily with blacks, seen it heavily with Mexicans, etc.... Ive been a victim of it in my childhood up until half way through high school and that chilled a little.

Now I dont know how you are defining "crazy racism" Its not like people were lynching each other.

Personally I believe America is the most open and diverse nation on the planet...thats not to say we shouldnt continue to route out azzholes as a whole.

Last edited:
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anarchy. Using what happened as an excuse to be terrorist. I agree the person did not deserve to be shot however, the rioters are harming innocent people. This is just ridiculous
Just be careful what you see. Governments greatest weapon to peaceful protests and growing its power of control is to infiltrate, divide and cause internal chaos.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

They didnt need to shoot him. Damn, do you read the news? LOL

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta say it again, cant stand him and dont like his big government policies but I gotta respect his leadership in yet another national crisis. He covers the CCP Virus for the first 2 minutes and gets right into race, police reform, inequality and talks about solutions rather than that shytkrapdumbazzfuqhole in Washington talking about crushing rats with tanks.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was comparing an unpaid internships to indentured servitude.

I see what you're saying. I'll have to see if I come up with a way of illustrating the connection without making seem like I'm saying they're 1:1.
Unpaid internships can lead to extremely high-paying jobs. Nowhere near the same. Why not just focus on how bad one is without the comparison to something far worse in history? It's kinda the same as when people start calling everybody else Nazis or comparing politicians to Hitler. This is of course just a suggestion!

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I saw this dude on live TV earlier, stole my heart for the night. He would make an incredible leader for the movement. Its a shorter edited clip, he had more to say for a few minutes, but this is all I can find.

Just watched and officially this guy is my new hero and the only man i will now look up to! Also this vid had 623 dislikes wtf is wrong with people

Reactions: ax1
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Im upset both at the need that some will not give a call based on names associated with races and that some would hire based on the color of ones skin over qualification. Both are forms of racism. Im not denying what you are saying doesnt exist, but when the solution is rasist you continue division.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. I missed it completely.

Hire people based on their ability to do the job, regardless of race.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I live in New York north of the city and have grown up to racism around me and seen it at the workplace, especially a heavily red neck mining industry I worked at (not all red necks are racist, thats not a fair accusation.) Seen it heavily from Italian, seen it heavily with blacks, seen it heavily with Mexicans, etc.... Ive been a victim of it in my childhood up until half way through high school and that chilled a little.

Now I dont know how you are defining "crazy racism" Its not like people were lynching each other.

Personally I believe America is the most open and diverse nation on the planet...thats not to say we shouldnt continue to route out azzholes as a whole.
Two dudes are currently sitting in jail for shooting a black kid who was jogging because they thought he was the suspect in recent trespassing/robbery incidents. It took months to finally even arrest them and that was only due to the increased media attention. Lynching absolutely does still happen.

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Honestly, the world is just f*cked. I don’t know what to think anymore and I’m not going to act superior with my beliefs as anyone else. we’re ALL a little confused and in shock. All I can say is that it is sad and we are coming close to what is the antichrist/mark of the beast. God bless everyone. I can’t handle anymore negativity

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly, the world is just f*cked. I don’t know what to think anymore and I’m not going to act superior with my beliefs as anyone else. we’re ALL a little confused and in shock. All I can say is that it is sad and we are coming close to what is the antichrist/mark of the beast. God bless everyone. I can’t handle anymore negativity
Honestly, what makes you believe NOW is coming close to the Antichrist? Why not during one of the TWO literal WORLD WARS that happened in the last century? One of which had its own pandemic at the tail-end of it that killed 20-40 million people?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And I’m out of this thread.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just watched and officially this guy is my new hero and the only man i will now look up to! Also this vid had 623 dislikes wtf is wrong with people
Thats dumb, this is the kind of guy I would want to have on my side. I wonder how many of those dislikes came from people who want free sneakers?

I do wish his whole interview was available, he said he was born in Liberia which is a place of significance.

Last edited:
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Two dudes are currently sitting in jail for shooting a black kid who was jogging because they thought he was the suspect in recent trespassing/robbery incidents. It took months to finally even arrest them and that was only due to the increased media attention. Lynching absolutely does still happen.
I didnt realize the arrests happened months after it took place. WTF??!?!!

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Unpaid internships can lead to extremely high-paying jobs. Nowhere near the same. Why not just focus on how bad one is without the comparison to something far worse in history? It's kinda the same as when people start calling everybody else Nazis or comparing politicians to Hitler. This is of course just a suggestion!
I've tried any number of ways to get people to take exploitation seriously but typically if it's something that doesn't directly affect the person I'm talking to, they go with the explanation that most comfortably fits their current world view.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I didnt realize the arrests happened months after it took place. WTF??!?!!
He was shot in February and they were arrested in May. Remember that cop in Dallas that went into somebody else's apartment by accident and shot him dead...again, she wasn't arrested right away (it was three days). I'm telling you that white privilege exists. It doesn't mean you've gotten a free pass on anything, but it does mean that you might have been given more barriers had you been black and that doesn't have to always mean lynching. You grew up as a white guy in a certain part of the country, but that doesn't mean racism isn't a huge problem just because of your experience. I've never been raped, but that doesn't mean I should tell women that sexual assaults are not a legitimate concern. I can go for weeks without having to worry about race because I do have that privilege. As a teen I was given a second, third, and fourth chance by cops that didn't give the same chances to my friends who were black. The worst I got was a call to have my parents pick me up from the station and most of the time they just let us go on our own. Black friends and schoolmates were at getting a court date and more than likely going to juvie.

Reactions: ax1
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've tried any number of ways to get people to take exploitation seriously but typically if it's something that doesn't directly affect the person I'm talking to, they go with the explanation that most comfortably fits their current world view.
What? So if a college student wants to take an unpaid internship, that should be illegal? Or it’s unethical that they exist? I’m trying to understand.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What? So if a college student wants to take an unpaid internship, that should be illegal? Or it’s unethical that they exist? I’m trying to understand.
I think it's unethical that they exist. It's a way to get out of paying someone during training

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He was shot in February and they were arrested in May. Remember that cop in Dallas that went into somebody else's apartment by accident and shot him dead...again, she wasn't arrested right away (it was three days). I'm telling you that white privilege exists. It doesn't mean you've gotten a free pass on anything, but it does mean that you might have been given more barriers had you been black and that doesn't have to always mean lynching. You grew up as a white guy in a certain part of the country, but that doesn't mean racism isn't a huge problem just because of your experience. I've never been raped, but that doesn't mean I should tell women that sexual assaults are not a legitimate concern. I can go for weeks without having to worry about race because I do have that privilege. As a teen I was given a second, third, and fourth chance by cops that didn't give the same chances to my friends who were black. The worst I got was a call to have my parents pick me up from the station and most of the time they just let us go on our own. Black friends and schoolmates were at getting a court date and more than likely going to juvie.
And remember, these are AVERAGES, so any number of n=1 anecdotes may seem to conflict with the general trend. A white person may have been the victim of horrible police brutality, maybe even multiple times, but that doesn’t change the AVERAGE or GENERAL TREND that certain groups are more likely to be victims of police brutality or treated unfairly. A white person may have the book thrown at them for a first offense, and a black person may get off light for a second, in n=1 examples, but that doesn’t undermine the general trends or averages.

I hope that makes sense.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it's unethical that they exist. It's a way to get out of paying someone during training
Ok, but there’s also no guarantee the intern stays with the company after receiving said training, or even that they end up getting their degree and/or certification, so if the only time they are with said company is during training while in school, then perhaps that’s why they do it? Or are you saying they should make interns sign a contract to work for said company for X amount of time once they earn their degree and/or certifications? Depending on the industry and the time/level/knowledge duding one’s internship, they may be super valuable, or hardly useful at all.

Edit: granted, while I was in school for civil engineering, I was told NOT to take any unpaid internships, since there were plenty of paid ones to go around. But I can’t speak for other industries/majors.