Dog Supplement

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know this is odd, but you guys know more than the animal communities.. Lol

I just bought In Clover Jump for my two year old Husky to help prevent any joint damage and I think he has some pain, so I'm hoping to alleviate that.

Anyways, I know when using Fish Oil, you should supplement with Vitamin E as well, but this product doesn't have any specifically. I'm wondering if any of the other ingredients contain enough for it to be okay?

Also, if you guys happen to have any suggestions for other joint/dog supplements while we are here. He eats 4 Health Grain Free food, Salmon and Potato formula right now. He eats a lot of carrots and apples also. Lol

Capture.PNG

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can always just buy human supplements and give them to your dog, assuming you know how to adjust the doses. Animal supplements are often overpriced and/or underdosed (it’s insane with horse supplements haha), so sometimes it’s cheaper just to buy people supplements and give them to your pets, assuming you can get them to eat them. I’ve read some studies on dogs using piracetam haha.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You can always just buy human supplements and give them to your dog, assuming you know how to adjust the doses. Animal supplements are often overpriced and/or underdosed (it’s insane with horse supplements haha), so sometimes it’s cheaper just to buy people supplements and give them to your pets, assuming you can get them to eat them. I’ve read some studies on dogs using piracetam haha.
I'm sure the Fish Oil in this supplement is way under dosed, 135mg should be more like 10x that amount from what I have seen. With 300mg EPA/DHA combined.

I just went with this one because it comes out to like $0.20 a day or something, but it does seem like it may be underdosed (I'm not familiar with the amounts needed for dogs just yet). Everyone raves about it, though. I don't think I could get him to eat a traditional fish oil capsule for humans. He has a terrible time taking his Prescriptions when he needs them, like antibiotics and post-neuter medicine. Lol

I'm going to start looking into bulk supplements for helping cancer prevention that can be used in both humans and dogs.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
It takes a special breed of human to handle a Husky... lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It takes a special breed of human to handle a Husky... lol
Thankfully ours isn't destructive.. very whiny and opinionated though! He throws several tantrums a day lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just went with this one because it comes out to like $0.20 a day or something, but it does seem like it may be underdosed (I'm not familiar with the amounts needed for dogs just yet). Everyone raves about it, though. I don't think I could get him to eat a traditional fish oil capsule for humans. He has a terrible time taking his Prescriptions when he needs them, like antibiotics and post-neuter medicine. Lol

I'm going to start looking into bulk supplements for helping cancer prevention that can be used in both humans and dogs.
Here's the FDA dose conversion guidelines:
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidances/ucm078932.pdf
You have to multiply the dog dose by 0.54 to get the human dose (in mg/kg), so you can logically just flip the equation to go from a human dose to a dog dose. You could also add an extra step to go from mice/rats to dogs by first converting the rat/mice dose to humans, and then converting that to dogs haha.

You've tried just wrapping a pill in a slice of meat or something?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here's the FDA dose conversion guidelines:
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidances/ucm078932.pdf
You have to multiply the dog dose by 0.54 to get the human dose (in mg/kg), so you can logically just flip the equation to go from a human dose to a dog dose. You could also add an extra step to go from mice/rats to dogs by first converting the rat/mice dose to humans, and then converting that to dogs haha.

You've tried just wrapping a pill in a slice of meat or something?
I edited my other post, the Fish oil is way under dosed.

Yeah, he will chew on the meat and spit out the pill, everytime. Lol if we crush it up and mix it in peanut butter he does alright, but that can be time consuming.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I edited my other post, the Fish oil is way under dosed.

Yeah, he will chew on the meat and spit out the pill, everytime. Lol if we crush it up and mix it in peanut butter he does alright, but that can be time consuming.
Ok, yeah, that's pretty time consuming haha. How heavy is your dog?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ok, yeah, that's pretty time consuming haha. How heavy is your dog?
He is about 45lbs.

I just got a 1 month supply of the other supplement to see if he even liked it, but may try and mix and match my own treats with the right amount of ingredients in them the next time.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He is about 45lbs.

I just got a 1 month supply of the other supplement to see if he even liked it, but may try and mix and match my own treats with the right amount of ingredients in them the next time.
Ok. So for something like glucosamine, the human dose is typically ~1.5g. You average person is ~60kg (I think it's probably more than that now haha), which gives a human dose of 25mg/kg. Dividing that by 0.54 (the inverse of multiplying by 0.54) gives you ~46mg/kg for a dog. Your dog weighs ~20kg, so 46mg/kg multiplied by 20kg gives you a dose of 920mg glucosamine.

Of course, this doesn't account for any differences in how each species responds to a given ingredient, but only bases dose on HED (body surface area and whatnot).

General formula/rule of thumb for going from a human dose (given in mg) to a dose for your dog at its current weight: multiply the human dose (total dose in mg) by 0.61. I think that math checks out haha.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ok. So for something like glucosamine, the human dose is typically ~1.5g. You average person is ~60kg (I think it's probably more than that now haha), which gives a human dose of 25mg/kg. Dividing that by 0.54 (the inverse of multiplying by 0.54) gives you ~46mg/kg for a dog. Your dog weighs ~20kg, so 46mg/kg multiplied by 20kg gives you a dose of 920mg glucosamine.

Of course, this doesn't account for any differences in how each species responds to a given ingredient, but only bases dose on HED (body surface area and whatnot).

General formula/rule of thumb for going from a human dose (given in mg) to a dose for your dog at its current weight: multiply the human dose (total dose in mg) by 0.61. I think that math checks out haha.
I'm sure the math is good, I just finished with my Statics Final so I'm staying far away from math for right now. Lol

I will definitely use that formula though, thanks for that!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure the math is good, I just finished with my Statics Final so I'm staying far away from math for right now. Lol

I will definitely use that formula though, thanks for that!
Statics sucks lol. What's your major?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not to be a Debbie downer here but a 45lb 2 year old Husky should not be suffering from joint issues unless there is something else wrong. I would take em up to the vet and have them checked out if in pain.

Although an orthopedic dog mattress and bed could definitely help if they have some form of early on set arthritis or something. The beds and mattresses make a huge difference by keeping their joints from pressing into the floor.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Statics sucks lol. What's your major?
Construction Management, so no real need for the statics courses. Lol we have two of them, but they are scheduled to where we haven't done trig or calc in nearly two years and then they throw this at us.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not to be a Debbie downer here but a 45lb 2 year old Husky should not be suffering from joint issues unless there is something else wrong. I would take em up to the vet and have them checked out if in pain.

Although an orthopedic dog mattress and bed could definitely help if they have some form of early on set arthritis or something. The beds and mattresses make a huge difference by keeping their joints from pressing into the floor.
You're fine! My only concern is Hip Dysplasia later on, they're really just considered medium dogs so they don't get it too often. He does have a vet check up soon so we will have it looked at.

He just tires on our walks a lot sooner than usual and loves having his legs rubbed, so I thought he may have some pain. He could just be a lazy brat (most likely) but I want to get him started on something preventative either way.

He sleeps on our bed at night with us, and he is allowed on the couch where he spends most of his time, as well as he also has a baby mattress as his own personal bed on the floor with a normal sized dog bed as a pillow. Lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Construction Management, so no real need for the statics courses. Lol we have two of them, but they are scheduled to where we haven't done trig or calc in nearly two years and then they throw this at us.
Haha, of course they do. That’s how I feel about dynamics. I’m a civil engineering major, but I did take a construction management course this semester haha.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Thankfully ours isn't destructive.. very whiny and opinionated though! He throws several tantrums a day lol
Oh yes, the tantrums are worse than a 5yr old kid. The complaining and demands really make you wonder who's boss. lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Haha, of course they do. That’s how I feel about dynamics. I’m a civil engineering major, but I did take a construction management course this semester haha.
The way I see it is I will never have any say in the design, or have the ability to make corrections without an engineer actually changing it anyways. It is good to know how it works, but I like to complain when we have difficult classes.

I'm sure during the CM course you were thinking, "Wow, is this really a major?" Lol we get a lot of hate for how laid back the majority of our classes are.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh yes, the tantrums are worse than a 5yr old kid. The complaining and demands really make you wonder who's boss. lol
Oh yeah. I don't have any kids but one husky is enough as is and my girlfriend is ready for a second one. He has gotten to where he will just walk up to you and sit, then paw at you until you scratch his chest.

We no longer have any control of our house. Lol

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah. I don't have any kids but one husky is enough as is and my girlfriend is ready for a second one. He has gotten to where he will just walk up to you and sit, then paw at you until you scratch his chest.

We no longer have any control of our house. Lol
Haha! I can totally understand. God bless them.....please! lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The way I see it is I will never have any say in the design, or have the ability to make corrections without an engineer actually changing it anyways. It is good to know how it works, but I like to complain when we have difficult classes.

I'm sure during the CM course you were thinking, "Wow, is this really a major?" Lol we get a lot of hate for how laid back the majority of our classes are.
For me statics is sort of the “bottleneck” class (along with strength of material after it) that you have to pass to get to the junior/senior level courses.

My CM Professor is also my senior design professor, who also teaches a bunch of other core courses (he’s an awesome professor) so the course was at least pretty interesting, and relevant to real-world stuff. We had to do some quantity takeoffs, unit price bids, CPMs, draw and equipment schedules, and things like that. I’m sure it can get a lot more complicated than most people would think though, especially the legal/contract side of things that we touched on a little.

What calc courses did you have to take?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For me statics is sort of the “bottleneck” class (along with strength of material after it) that you have to pass to get to the junior/senior level courses.

My CM Professor is also my senior design professor, who also teaches a bunch of other core courses (he’s an awesome professor) so the course was at least pretty interesting, and relevant to real-world stuff. We had to do some quantity takeoffs, unit price bids, CPMs, draw and equipment schedules, and things like that. I’m sure it can get a lot more complicated than most people would think though, especially the legal/contract side of things that we touched on a little.

What calc courses did you have to take?
That makes sense, they made ours one course so it is Statics and Strength of Materials for Building Construction. The second course focuses on steel and concrete.

Yeah that's basically what our entire curriculum is, except individual courses for each of those. We had a QTO and Document reading course, Scheduling Course, Estimating Course, Electrical, HVAC, a few labs where we basically go from the owners RFQ and come up with a fake proposal with our Guaranteed Maximum Price having estimated and scheduled the construction of the entire building.. It isn't too tough, just tedious and time consuming. The contract side of it is usually pretty boiler plate as far as the wordings, you just insert that subcontractors specific scope of work and other applicable terms to the job. The management of pay apps and contracts is pretty straight forward as well once you learn the process.

I took Engineering Calc I and II and Engineering Physics I because I was originally doing Civil Engineering as well, but transferred schools and started the CM program there.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That makes sense, they made ours one course so it is Statics and Strength of Materials for Building Construction. The second course focuses on steel and concrete.

Yeah that's basically what our entire curriculum is, except individual courses for each of those. We had a QTO and Document reading course, Scheduling Course, Estimating Course, Electrical, HVAC, a few labs where we basically go from the owners RFQ and come up with a fake proposal with our Guaranteed Maximum Price having estimated and scheduled the construction of the entire building.. It isn't too tough, just tedious and time consuming. The contract side of it is usually pretty boiler plate as far as the wordings, you just insert that subcontractors specific scope of work and other applicable terms to the job. The management of pay apps and contracts is pretty straight forward as well once you learn the process.

I took Engineering Calc I and II and Engineering Physics I because I was originally doing Civil Engineering as well, but transferred schools and started the CM program there.
Makes sense. My civil program has Calc I & II for engineers, then Calc 3 and Differential Equations. I’m just glad to be done with those haha. We have senior-level courses each for steel and concrete, and a junior level for civil engineering materials in addition to the strength of materials lol. The CM course was useful though, and does help with the senior design course (two semesters) where we have to do everything: RFQ, ESA, site and floor plans, structures, water, transportation, etc.

Do you have to take any certification/licensure exams?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But back to the topic, two chews should be good for the glucosamine dose, by a little low in terms of MSM. I also don’t really expect any of the other ingredients to do much at all, being dosed low and not extracts.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Makes sense. My civil program has Calc I & II for engineers, then Calc 3 and Differential Equations. I’m just glad to be done with those haha. We have senior-level courses each for steel and concrete, and a junior level for civil engineering materials in addition to the strength of materials lol. The CM course was useful though, and does help with the senior design course (two semesters) where we have to do everything: RFQ, ESA, site and floor plans, structures, water, transportation, etc.

Do you have to take any certification/licensure exams?
Not really, we get our OSHA 10 cards in class but most employers require you to get an OSHA 30 anyways. We can sit for the LEED had a sustainability course and were supposed to take the Leed Green Associate exam after that, but I opted out because it doesn't give you a competitive advantage in our field.

We do have to get the Associate Constructor Certification, but that's more of a course requirement than industry thing. We have it pretty easy lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
But back to the topic, two chews should be good for the glucosamine dose, by a little low in terms of MSM. I also don’t really expect any of the other ingredients to do much at all, being dosed low and not extracts.
Yeah, I didn't look into it before ordering which is my own fault, but was at least smart enough to start with the small bag. Lol

I'll definitely be going with a solo fish oil and then add in MSM and Glucosamine separately next.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha sometimes its also cheaper to buy horse supplements for people. Its can vary, like injectable b vitamins are a million times cheaper for animals.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my sister just told me that her dogs[both old]are on tramadol for arthritis...

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
my sister just told me that her dogs[both old]are on tramadol for arthritis...
Yeah I have heard that is pretty common. I am hoping I can start early and prevent the need for that later on!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I give my dog creatine and joint supps. That’s about it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I give my dog creatine and joint supps. That’s about it.
my oldest dog [sid] is 20 years old-yes 20 years old...he was a rescue dog who came neutered with all his shots. the only time I ever took him to the vet was when many years ago I gave him a ham bone and it splintered in his mouth and became infected....that is the only time in the last 17 years he has been to he vet...sid has lived indoors with us for the last 5 years, prior to that he was an outdoors dog.

sid is family!!! I love my dog!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You are so lucky to have him this long. I hope he stays healthy for a long time to come as well!