Does vitamins C SIGNIGICANTLY hinder muscle growth?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take a lot of vitamin C, ascorbic acid powder, morning,afternoon, and evening. I knew not to take vitamin C right after a workout because you want oxidation directly after a workout. But, will vitamin C, say a couple hours after a workout, or the rest of the day after the workout slow muscle gain?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I take a lot of vitamin C, ascorbic acid powder, morning,afternoon, and evening. I knew not to take vitamin C right after a workout because you want oxidation directly after a workout. But, will vitamin C, say a couple hours after a workout, or the rest of the day after the workout slow muscle gain?
Just so we all have the background:

How much Vit C are you taking throughout the day, and why?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Around 5 to 6g a day, split in 3 doses. Some say it is good to combat daily stress.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Around 5 to 6g a day, split in 3 doses. Some say it is good to combat daily stress.
You could always use some adaptogens that help with stress/cortisol/etc. and may actually help with muscle growth as an added bonus.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You could always use some adaptogens that help with stress/cortisol/etc. and may actually help with muscle growth as an added bonus.
Presently taking 650mg KSM66.

Inclined to find out if the vit c I'm taking is making it difficult for a hard gainer like myself to gain.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Or should I drop all Vit C usage post workout, should everyone not use Vit C post workout?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wouldn't worry about it at all TBH. It will be a minimal effect on muscle growth vs. the health benefits.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've heard this before back in the day....good for stress, so I used to dose in the am only, but the word significantly..i'm going to go out on a limb and say no, you or I probably wouldn't even notice

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to take Vit C and other anti-oxidants pre workout. Then I heard it can blunt NO production and limit your pump. I stopped pre workout and noticed the difference. My advice would be to avoid these supps pre workout only. Other times I don’t think it matters.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I personally think that much is waste. I think it’s pretty overrated to supplement with it in the first place, but just my opinion.

From what I recall, it may be most optimal to avoid anti-oxidants (or ones that posses COX-2 inhibiting properties) 2-4 hours pre/post workout. I personally don’t follow this, as I typically workout fasted first thing in the morning and may have some fruit and small amount of veggies post workout.

If it’s 2 hours post workout like you’re saying, it’s probably nothing to sweat. I just personally think that much is a waste, although I know you weren’t asking for my opinion on that :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Presently taking 650mg KSM66.

Inclined to find out if the vit c I'm taking is making it difficult for a hard gainer like myself to gain.
I honestly don’t think it’d make much of a difference, and probably not noticeable, if you just dose it away from your workout. But I also think KSM will be better for stress then the C anyway haha.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m not sure it would really matter a ton, but I would say that amount is probably excessive anyway and probably not really worth the time or effort.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take 1 g of vit C in the evening to help with recovery through the night. Yes I do believe it works better that way.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have taken 5-6 grams of vitamin C every day for years. At first I thought it was a waste and it all sounds like crackhead talk when you listen to some of the vitamin C zealots. I have had periods where I went without it for years as well. But over the past 20 years I have consistently noted reduction in cold symptoms, improved stress tolerance, and just general good health. It may be placebo, chance, whatever - but it is $30/kg and I dump a scoop in a gallon of crystal light and drink it every day.

I will also say that a lot of the research throwing shade on Vitamin C has questionable conclusions- like the study that everyone quotes showing it did not reduce colds in the general population but DID in highly stressed military trainees and the conclusion is that it is worthless for the average person. So, um, it works when you really need it but does nothing otherwise?

It also has evidence of reduced infection - including its potential for being part of a treatment for sepsis that is currently being investigated.

But...I don't know. It may still have little value, a lot of it does sound like snake oil (and I am being serious), but I lean in its favor because of the track record it has for me personally, especially the increased incidence of colds when I am not taking it.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You know, vitamin c is supposed to reduce cortisol levels...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Signigicantly? No. Significantly? Not that either.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You know, vitamin c is supposed to reduce cortisol levels...
Seems kinda hit or miss depending on if it’s acting as an antioxidant or pro-oxidant. I’d *think* single doses in the gram(s) range would lean towards pro-oxidant while smaller doses would act as an antioxidant.

Examine: “Vitamin C appears to have a bidirectional relationship with cortisol, with increases noted when Vitamin C is able to be a prooxidant and decreases noted when Vitamin C is able to be an antioxidant.”

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seems kinda hit or miss depending on if it’s acting as an antioxidant or pro-oxidant. I’d *think* single doses in the gram(s) range would lean towards pro-oxidant while smaller doses would act as an antioxidant.

Examine: “Vitamin C appears to have a bidirectional relationship with cortisol, with increases noted when Vitamin C is able to be a prooxidant and decreases noted when Vitamin C is able to be an antioxidant.”
Good info and it points out that things aren't exactly all good, all bad, or even simple. A lot of things will yield different results depending on other factors.

I had never considered it...but pro-oxidant effects may actually enhance muscle building to a degree.

Will it be significant enough to consider beyond trivia? Unlikely.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does seem like an excessive amount. I would look into other things to fight stress. Here’s what I use as stress and pain are regulars in my life right now.

IMG_1826.JPG

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He’s already using KSM, which is great for stress. Phosphatidylserine (PS) is another good option, as well as rhodiola. I’d say that these would be better for stress than C, and also can help with performance and gains to boot!

Maybe just bump down the C a little and add in some PS and/or rhodiola and get the best of both worlds?

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
I used to be sick very often. Throat aches, colds and stuff... probably because i train often (almost everyday) i suppose my immune system is a bit off.

I started taking Vit.C 5 months ago (500 mg to 1gr per day, away from pre and post workout periods). I feel way better, my immunity is great and i went all the winter without any health issue so far.
I would advise to reduce your consumption and to avoid taking it around training. But keep using it, it's a great health supp.