Does having a gun and a ccw give us a false sense of security?

D

desibaba

Awards
I saw the thread where the gun store was robbed and the owners were executed and all security footage deleted and it makes me wonder if having a weapon gives some of us a false sense of security that we probably shouldn’t have?

I have had my concealed carry permit since 2016 and I have a .45, a 9mm and a AR15 rifle. Recently I was eating at a restaurant and thought of a hypothetical scenario if someone was coming to kill or assault me. Even though I have the weapon in my holster I am relaxed and thinking of the next forkful of food that I’ll stuff in my mouth. The other guy is ready, planning every move and more likely than not by the time I realize I’m in danger and start reaching for my weapon he probably would have shot me first.

Most gun store owners also give gun training classes and are licensed to teach the class so you can get your concealed carry permit. Chances are they are way better during a deadly situation than most of us who occasionally go to the gun range. If the attackers were able to get to them then what are the odds in a deadly scenario or a home invasion for us regular folks?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think practice is what makes most of the difference.

also, I think it's wise to subscribe to the active self-protection channel on YouTube and watch it daily.

by watching all the videos, I feel like you can be more adept at recognizing the ques and knowing how to better prepare for these things.

but mostly. practice practice practice.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I grew up around some shitty situations. Ive been in situations where guns are pulled since probably middle school. I feel like I'm always very aware of potential situations. But I guess you won't really know untill your in a situation that goes wrong.

I've also seen firsthand a situation where one guy pulled out a gun and stuck at another guy's face and the guy with the gun pointed at his head said you ain't got the balls to do it and literally took the gun right out of the dude's hands and pistol whipped him.

Dont ever pull out a gun if your not prepared to use it!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I live in NYC so I'm armed with a white flag (made with my white underwear) if confronted.

S

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As a non American, I find it all pretty crazy... I mean look what happens every week... people get gunned down whether they have guns or not. Concealed carry concerns me if I ever go to America (I do want to) because I never back down from a fight, I never start fights, but I will never let anyone bully me and sometimes unnecessarily escalate when I should just walk away.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I live in NYC so I'm armed with a white flag (made with my white underwear) if confronted.
When I was 18-21 I use to drive to Washington heights 2x a month to pick up my boy. First time I ever went I pull in to the heights in a money green Altima with 19in chrome rims and 3 guys walk out in the road and pull there guns out. I put it straight into reverse and backed out of there full speed. Every time after that I pulled up around the back side and my boy would jump the fence to meet me 😁😁😁

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I was 18-21 I use to drive to Washington heights 2x a month to pick up my boy. First time I ever went I pull in to the heights in a money green Altima with 19in chrome rims and 3 guys walk out in the road and pull there guns out. I put it straight into reverse and backed out of there full speed. Every time after that I pulled up around the back side and my boy would jump the fence to meet me 😁😁😁
It's sad what NYC has become. Post 9/11, there was tremendous police presence and respect for law enforcement. I remember staying out late night and taking subways in the wee hours of the morning without any fear of being jumped. Now, I don't even want to go out of my house unless I have to and I have to constantly watch my back, especially when taking the subway or walking on the street. I can't even defend myself because if I do, I can probably get in more trouble than the guy attacking me. Also, the bail reform laws are so terrible that anyone can assault you, mug you, beat you up etc (anything short of killing you) and you can get out without paying bail the same day. There's no fear of the law anymore; there's no accountability either.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's sad what NYC has become. Post 9/11, there was tremendous police presence and respect for law enforcement. I remember staying out late night and taking subways in the wee hours of the morning without any fear of being jumped. Now, I don't even want to go out of my house unless I have to and I have to constantly watch my back, especially when taking the subway or walking on the street. I can't even defend myself because if I do, I can probably get in more trouble than the guy attacking me. Also, the bail reform laws are so terrible that anyone can assault you, mug you, beat you up etc (anything short of killing you) and you can get out without paying bail the same day. There's no fear of the law anymore; there's no accountability either.
Move away from that cesspool?

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I think it depends on the person carrying. A gun is useless if you don't know how to use it or when to use it more importantly. I've carried a gun with me since I was 21 years old and I have never pulled it on anyone. Just because you get into an argument or even a heated one doesn't mean you pull it out and take someone's life and you do not pull it out unless you plan to use it anyway.

I still think the best approach if you're in that type of situation is to remove yourself. I'll walk away and avoid that kind of trouble the best I can but if someone puts my life in danger I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

F

FloridaMan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I stopped carrying a gun 99% because I was tired of dressing around a gun. But also, 10 years and never needed it... I've used a knife in self defense, and I still carry a knife but I just leave the guns at home anymore. Maybe one day I'll renew my permit and carry again, but I don't see the point anymore for myself

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Anyone ever been shot?

I haven't with a bullet but I have been shot with the riot control beanbag they shoot out a 12gage!

It's not fun. I was walking through a huge party (well over 1000 ppl in a giant college campuses lot)when I was a teenager and there was a riot, cars getting flipped and set on fire and I got hit with the bag in my side. I thought someone snuck up behind me and hit me with a baseball bat and I dropped to the ground. I immediately stood back up and both of my legs buckled and I fell back down again and couldn't get back up for like 10min lol

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Anyone ever been shot?

I haven't with a bullet but I have been shot with the riot control beanbag they shoot out a 12gage!

It's not fun. I was walking through a huge party (well over 1000 ppl in a giant college campuses lot)when I was a teenager and there was a riot, cars getting flipped and set on fire and I got hit with the bag in my side. I thought someone snuck up behind me and hit me with a baseball bat and I dropped to the ground. I immediately stood back up and both of my legs buckled and I fell back down again and couldn't get back up for like 10min lol
I took a partial 45acp to the leg right above the knee. Luckily it was all meat.

This was a strange incident in where I was shooting steel silhouettes, some how I took a ricochet. To this day still not sure how it happened. Hurt like a bitch and was by myself, wrapped with my shirt and burned rubber all the way to local er to get stitched up.

I carry in the states I’m allowed to about 50% of the time. Biggest factor is training like anything you make it second nature.

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As a non American, I find it all pretty crazy... I mean look what happens every week... people get gunned down whether they have guns or not. Concealed carry concerns me if I ever go to America (I do want to) because I never back down from a fight, I never start fights, but I will never let anyone bully me and sometimes unnecessarily escalate when I should just walk away.
Stay out of the ghettos and you will be fine. Most areas are safe and it’s highly unlikely to see any shootouts. Lol

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
John Wick is intelligent with a gun.

Canada is so different with this topic. We do have gun violence and i have to admit, I’ve only had gun exposure in ghettoish areas. Mostly disputes with people I’m with, with strangers. IF POSSIBLE, i try to keep a fun, friendly, good time tone to the situation which so far has resulted in a positive outcome.

I remember partying in Nashville and reading please check in your guns before entering. That was new to me and obviously there is always a few guns that slip threw the cracks. I have to admit everyone was cool there, I didn’t notice any disrespect towards anyone. I remember bars being packed to the tits but it was like a organize mayhem, i didnt get my shoes stepped on once lol.

If your getting robbed, your fucked. Especially if your not in arms length. I advise not to do anything stupid, just your close eyes, keep your head down, hand over whatever, your watch, wallet, just cooperate. Here you go… Happy birthday! Enjoy lol!

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
John Wick is intelligent with a gun.

Canada is so different with this topic. We do have gun violence and i have to admit, I’ve only had gun exposure in ghettoish areas. Mostly disputes with people I’m with, with strangers. IF POSSIBLE i try to keep a fun, friendly, good time tone to the situation which so far has resulted in a positive outcome.

I remember partying in Nashville and reading please check in your guns before entering. That was new to me and obviously there is always a few guns that slip threw the cracks. I have to admit everyone was cool there, I didn’t notice any disrespect towards anyone. I remember bars being packed to the tits but it was like a organize mayhem, i didnt get my shoes stepped on once lol.

If your getting robbed, your fucked. Especially if your not in arms length. I advise not to do anything stupid, just your close eyes, keep your head down, hand over whatever, your watch, wallet, just cooperate. Here you go… Happy birthday! Enjoy lol!
*reaches for back pocket where wallet is but instead grabs Springfield XDS 45 tucked behind belt*

He who laughs last…. Wins

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
*reaches for back pocket where wallet is but instead grabs Springfield XDS 45 tucked behind belt*

He who laughs last…. Wins
😂😂😂

That can possible work too, depending on intelligence with the people involved.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I found a non-lethal weapon which is small, easy to conceal (4 inches in total length), and legal to have on my own.
The humble onion holder. If I'm in a bad situation, I can easily take this out of my back pocket and swipe at the evil doer like Wolverine.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I feel that carrying a firearm every where I go has humbled me and kept me out of trouble.

I live in the Philadelphia area, if I was to simply punch someone in the face while carrying a gun it would mean jail time for sure….. I will avoid assholes nowadays that I would have mixed it up with back before getting my LTCF.

I also never drink now unless I’m home…… God forbid I had to shoot someone and then it shows I had ANY alcohol in my system…. Again, instant jail time.

The truth of it is that if someone gets the jump on you then there is not much you can do….. That being said, I’d rather have a gun on me then not.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stopped carrying a gun 99% because I was tired of dressing around a gun. But also, 10 years and never needed it... I've used a knife in self defense, and I still carry a knife but I just leave the guns at home anymore. Maybe one day I'll renew my permit and carry again, but I don't see the point anymore for myself
This exactly. I observe my surroundings for threats and escape routes. My brother CCs regularly. He uses a very small pistol. I was trained on large milspec ones. I could never CC a small one as I have no tactical training. It is always about training as that is what takes over in a stress fire situation.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
This exactly. I observe my surroundings for threats and escape routes. My brother CCs regularly. He uses a very small pistol. I was trained on large milspec ones. I could never CC a small one as I have no tactical training. It is always about training as that is what takes over in a stress fire situation.
The firearms industry is brimming with all kinds of new carry weapons that shoot more like the larger guns...... I carry a sig p238 its all metal (so a little heavy for its small size) and with underwood extreme penetrators it will leave worse wound cavities than HST 9mm does. I shoot it at least once a month and have no doubt I could put all 9 rounds into a person at 15 or less yards.

But I still prefer a revolver...... So I carry them often too.

My point is that you might find something that is easy to conceal and comfortable for you to shoot.

Like the sig p365 xl
Girsan and springfield just came out with Browning High Power remake (very milspec-ish classic design)

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer a revolver too for CC. A .38 snub nose, Barney Miller Special.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Indiana Mall CCW carrier neutralized the shooter in 15 seconds and hit 8 of 10 shots from 40'.
Not bad at all with a small pocket pistol. Wonder what type it was,

Last edited:
S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Indiana Mall CCW carrier neutralized the shooter in 15 seconds and hit 8 of 10 shoots from 40'.
Not bad at all with a small pocket pistol. Wonder what type it was,
I’ve heard it was a Springfield Hellcat, but I can’t confirm it.

8 out of 10 hits from 40 yards is better than not bad. It’s out fucking standing! Law enforcement officers nationwide miss 70% of their shots in officer involved shootings. Also factor in that around 67% of officer invoked shootings happen between 2.5 yards to zero. Zero meaning the officer was going hands on with the suspect when he fired. Stress effects shooting more than anyone realizes. If this type of stuff interests you at all, check out two books by Dave Grossman…On Killing and On Combat. On Killing has a deep psychology part about half way through the book, but it’s still a good read. On Combat is great also.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
40feet. initial reports indicated 40 yards then corrected this a.m. that it was 40 feet. Target started to move somewhere in the exchange. Awesome work all around by the young man.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
False sense of security? I don't know. I carry every day. It's like my phone, I don't leave home without it. It's like wearing my seatbelt, I know I can still get killed in a car wreck but at least it gives me a chance. I agree with a lot of what's been said in here already. Cool heads prevail. I'll look for a way out and avoid shitty situations as best I can.

Ultimately, it's in God's hands. My security comes from the promises Jesus made. When I croak I know He's got me. In the meantime, I'll carry on🙂

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
40feet. initial reports indicated 40 yards then corrected this a.m. that it was 40 feet. Target started to move somewhere in the exchange. Awesome work all around by the young man.
Still phenomenal results with a handgun and under stress. Also I found an article that said he was carrying a Glock but did not give the model.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I appendix carried a full size 1911 on a backpacking trip, it actually went surprisingly well