Does anyone have any experience, or info on flat foot surgery?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone here had, or know someone who has had flat foot surgery and who also lifts weights. I've been flat footed for years and I'm at the point where I can still train, I just have to be very careful. I can't run to save my life though and it's honestly depressing. As soon as I goto run I get shin splints. I have arthritis in my back and want to stop it from progressing before it gets any worse. I've made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I am very anxious because I have heard people online state that you can not return to squats and deadlifts after having flat foot surgery; however I have found information about a new none invasive surgery called hyprocure. The trouble with hyprocure though, is that medicare most likely won't pay for it, since it's a new surgery, it'll cost me anywhere from $5,000-$9,000, the closest doctor that performs it is 50 miles away and being a broke college student, I don't own a car. I want to get any feed back I can before I do anything. I not only want to get feedback from the doctor/s, but I'd also like to possibly get feedback from others who have had surgery for flat feet. Obviously if the traditional surgery won't allow me to lift anymore, but the new surgery will; I'm going to have to find a way to make $9,000 and somehow get a ride to the doctor that is 50 miles away.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Please explain to me why your a young college student with medicare? Are you disabled or something?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone here had, or know someone who has had flat foot surgery and who also lifts weights. I've been flat footed for years and I'm at the point where I can still train, I just have to be very careful. I can't run to save my life though and it's honestly depressing. As soon as I goto run I get shin splints. I have arthritis in my back and want to stop it from progressing before it gets any worse. I've made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I am very anxious because I have heard people online state that you can not return to squats and deadlifts after having flat foot surgery; however I have found information about a new none invasive surgery called hyprocure. The trouble with hyprocure though, is that medicare most likely won't pay for it, since it's a new surgery, it'll cost me anywhere from $5,000-$9,000, the closest doctor that performs it is 50 miles away and being a broke college student, I don't own a car. I want to get any feed back I can before I do anything. I not only want to get feedback from the doctor/s, but I'd also like to possibly get feedback from others who have had surgery for flat feet. Obviously if the traditional surgery won't allow me to lift anymore, but the new surgery will; I'm going to have to find a way to make $9,000 and somehow get a ride to the doctor that is 50 miles away.
Honestly i think it be a waste of money when simply stretching can go a long ways. In the meantime for a cardio benefit you can swim, bike, hike, climb, and the selection of modes of exercise at the gym are ridiculous. I cant see a reason to waste 9k at this time in your life simply to "run".

Have you had your gait analyzed by a clinician? Exercise scientist at a lab and not the New Balance store. Inserts help a bit but dont fix the problem. Proper stretching and strengthening can aid over a few months as well.

Do you ice and relieve the pressure post run? What have you done to alleviate the pain thus far?

Is it painful, hell yes but I can see how just being flat footed lead to back pain before something much more serious before hand. As far as compensation even goes Id think your hip, but I think exhausting all options beforehand are necessary before trusting any individual to cut you open and "attempt" to fix something.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly i think it be a waste of money when simply stretching can go a long ways. In the meantime for a cardio benefit you can swim, bike, hike, climb, and the selection of modes of exercise at the gym are ridiculous. I cant see a reason to waste 9k at this time in your life simply to "run".

Have you had your gait analyzed by a clinician? Exercise scientist at a lab and not the New Balance store. Inserts help a bit but dont fix the problem. Proper stretching and strengthening can aid over a few months as well.

Do you ice and relieve the pressure post run? What have you done to alleviate the pain thus far?

Is it painful, hell yes but I can see how just being flat footed lead to back pain before something much more serious before hand. As far as compensation even goes Id think your hip, but I think exhausting all options beforehand are necessary before trusting any individual to cut you open and "attempt" to fix something.
Well here's the thing, I've tried stretches before. I've been wide and flat footed since I can remember, which pretty much means I was born with messed up feet. I can do sumo deadlifts in Nike Romaleos shoes without issues, but if I don't wear the shoes I get pain in my back. There are different types of flat feet. Flexible flat feet are the easiest to fix and they would only require stretching. In case you don't know, flexible flat feet is where you have an arch, but when you stand the arch collapses. I have no arch in my feet at anytime. This means that the natural position of my feet is to be flat. This may be due to my bones fusing in a certain way, or due to damaged tendons, or maybe even both. Honestly odds are the new type of none invasive surgery may not work for me since I do not have flexible flat feet. I did do some research and it does seem that I will be able to lift even after having traditional surgery that should be covered, but it could take 6 months to heal per foot and another 3 before I can do weight bearing exercises. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks where I'm getting my feet x-rayed. You are right about insoles, they mainly just hurt my feet.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well here's the thing, I've tried stretches before. I've been wide and flat footed since I can remember, which pretty much means I was born with messed up feet. I can do sumo deadlifts in Nike Romaleos shoes without issues, but if I don't wear the shoes I get pain in my back. There are different types of flat feet. Flexible flat feet are the easiest to fix and they would only require stretching. In case you don't know, flexible flat feet is where you have an arch, but when you stand the arch collapses. I have no arch in my feet at anytime. This means that the natural position of my feet is to be flat. This may be due to my bones fusing in a certain way, or due to damaged tendons, or maybe even both. Honestly odds are the new type of none invasive surgery may not work for me since I do not have flexible flat feet. I did do some research and it does seem that I will be able to lift even after having traditional surgery that should be covered, but it could take 6 months to heal per foot and another 3 before I can do weight bearing exercises. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks where I'm getting my feet x-rayed. You are right about insoles, they mainly just hurt my feet.
Rigid Vs. Supple in terms of actually causing an effect that could be congenital as youve mentioned....guess what its not going to work and im not gna pretend to tell you it is. Even so knowing that I still think you should still be readily doing the stretches and hope that even 8months-a full year they would have gotten better to some degree. Just seems like a huge stretch that a surgery would help when the scar tissue post surgery would put you through hell.

I will say from one flat footed person to another I actually fractured my navicular, not from trama but constantly walking right on it constantly so I can only wish the best for ya :)

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rigid Vs. Supple in terms of actually causing an effect that could be congenital as youve mentioned....guess what its not going to work and im not gna pretend to tell you it is. Even so knowing that I still think you should still be readily doing the stretches and hope that even 8months-a full year they would have gotten better to some degree. Just seems like a huge stretch that a surgery would help when the scar tissue post surgery would put you through hell.

I will say from one flat footed person to another I actually fractured my navicular, not from trama but constantly walking right on it constantly so I can only wish the best for ya :)
I appreciate the input. I'm going to see the doctor in two days and I'll post an update. I made an appointment with a doctor who is closer and according to his websites he does do less invasive surgeries, and a host of other methods.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just saw something shared by a friend/coach on FB the other day, about how you can avoid surgery for this exact same thing. This is the exact post:

Collapsed arches? This is arguably the easiest screen of all to detect future injury. Yet, so easy to fix, which makes it so damn difficult to fix as well.
-
You do not need a doctor (unless of course that doctor has a movement based plan to get your foot working), you do not need a support, and you don't need motion controlled shoes. Get barefoot as much as possible. Squeeze the ground as much as you can, even in your shoes! Roll/massage those feet every day. Literally, all you have to do is use your feet like a hand. Don't believe me, watch your toddlers feet with the ground. They do what this foot is doing, squeeze and use the ground. ‪#‎footrehab‬
He was sharing the post from a physical therapist he knows

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
X-rays were done today and I made an appointment for surgery. I'm getting a bone fusion. The recovery time will only take 4-6 weeks per foot and I can go back to lifting once I recover. He explained that there is a loose bone in the top of each foot that is loose, causing my feet to collapse and causing arthritis.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
X-rays were done today and I made an appointment for surgery. I'm getting a bone fusion. The recovery time will only take 4-6 weeks per foot and I can go back to lifting once I recover. He explained that there is a loose bone in the top of each foot that is loose, causing my feet to collapse and causing arthritis.
Ouch, glad you guys def have it figured out and theres a plan of action! Def. keep us informed moving forward and best of luck man!