Doctor Said No Creatine

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just switched doctors and got my blood test results today. This might be my first ever blood test. He said my Creatinine levels were high and that my liver enzymes were up and should not take Creatine. What gives? I thought creatine was proven safe to use. I haven't even taken Creatine on a consistent basis since the first week of August where I went through a tub of Magnum Limitless using it four days a week. Lately, I've just been taking it once a week, 5g, to help recover from my brutal leg workouts. And I drink a ton of water, always pissing. Surely, there is something else at play here. Here are some of my results:

Creatinine 1.37 0.76-1.27
Bilirubin 0.5 0-1.2
AST 66 0-40
ALT 45 0-44

So I searched the threads regarding this topic and it looks like a number of things can effect Creatinine and liver. I have been working out really hard lately - weights 4-5 days a week for 55-70 min. The day that I got my blood drawn, I came down with a cold that night. Someone said in another post that the Bilirubin measurement is the most important and mine is fine. Supplements I've been taking lately are TSN Pump Igniter, Metabolic Nutrition E.S.P., MP Amino 1, Animal Whey, MP Combat Powder, Ashwagandha. A rough estimate on protein intake is 200g a day.

I thought everyone should be aware that doctors are still telling people not take Creatine and be careful with it. He's the doctor so I guess I should listen to him.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
it's above the normal because you are supplementing with it. Many doctors only know textbook knowledge, and elevated creatinine can cause problems.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'd try to get a doc that's more involved with sports medicine, if possible. Just working out will raise those values. CK, for example, goes up for up to a week, just from strenuous exercise. More muscle mass = higher values. Wiki says this:

A patient with a greater muscle mass will have a higher creatinine level. While a baseline serum creatinine of 2.0 mg/dl (150 μmol/l) may indicate normal kidney function in a male body builder, a serum creatinine of 1.6 mg/dl (110 μmol/l) can indicate significant renal disease in an elderly female.
Not a doc.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd try to get a doc that's more involved with sports medicine, if possible. Just working out will raise those values. CK, for example, goes up for up to a week, just from strenuous exercise. More muscle mass = higher values. Wiki says this:

Not a doc.
Yes, but how do we know that the OP isn't an elderly female?.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I don't have my glasses, what's his avatar look like?

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
Your doctor wants to know what your body functions like without the other stuff interfering with the blood work.

Your annual physical and blood labs were not a surprise, next time you have them stop creatine several days out and take 48 hours off from the weights and the performance type supplements (vitamins are not a big deal). Heavy weight lifting will elevate liver enzymes and you already know that creatine breaks down into creatinine and scares the doc.

fitbanker

fitbanker

Awards
Agreed, and for that reason, I not only break from all supps, but try to coordinate my physical with a de-load week in my lifting routine. My doctor is not a sports-med doc, but he also works out so he understands supplements and weight training.

Your annual physical and blood labs were not a surprise, next time you have them stop creatine several days out and take 48 hours off from the weights and the performance type supplements (vitamins are not a big deal). Heavy weight lifting will elevate liver enzymes and you already know that creatine breaks down into creatinine and scares the doc.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.
it's above the normal because you are supplementing with it. Many doctors only know textbook knowledge, and elevated creatinine can cause problems.
Both of these
Most doctors will say its the creatine, when in reality it is not.
Maybe they should tell you to stop eating steak too because it has creatine in it :)
" Heavy weight lifting will elevate liver enzymes and you already know that creatine breaks down into creatinine and scares the doc"
is spot on.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks to all for your comments and insight. I think I'm on the same page as everyone. I'll be mindful of my exercising and supplements for my next blood work.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Exercise, especially intense exercise, raises those values. I had blood tests (8 total, 4 while using creatine and 2 after a month washout and 2 after stopping exercise) and all came back elevated EXCEPT the ones after I stopped exercise for a week.

I finally got back in range after I stopped exercise. Also hydration plays a key role as well